04/27/14, 11:33 AM   #1
Vicster0

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[Feature] SavedVariables Backups

I had a user contact me regarding adding a feature to my InventoryInsight addon to keep backups of the data table in the event that they needed to look back at their inventory after loosing bank/inventory slots and associated items.

Their request got me thinking, since addons are an interesting beast when it comes to saving data and a backup system in game would likely take up a decent amount of memory over time, maybe this should be done externally.

Ultimately I guided the user on how to backup their SavedVariables files manually to solve their problem and put their minds at ease in the interim, but maybe this a feature that could be added to Minion in the future. Say, the ability to set for each individual addon, whether you want to backup the associated SavedVariables file and how many copies you would like to keep.

I imagine that this wouldn't be very difficult to accomplish, and of course would require that the user run Minion before starting their game client but I feel most people are probably already doing that to an extent and either way would certainly be easier than backing up manually.

Just a suggestion...
04/27/14, 12:03 PM   #2
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
We have something big planned for the future after this beta test that will include something like this.

Hopefully we can start squashing these bugs faster so we can get to it sooner.
04/27/14, 01:54 PM   #3
Vicster0

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
We have something big planned for the future after this beta test that will include something like this.

Hopefully we can start squashing these bugs faster so we can get to it sooner.
Rock on!
08/25/14, 01:49 PM   #4
w33zl

Automatically backup SavedVariables

Originally Posted by Vicster0 View Post
I had a user contact me regarding adding a feature to my InventoryInsight addon to keep backups of the data table in the event that they needed to look back at their inventory after loosing bank/inventory slots and associated items.

Their request got me thinking, since addons are an interesting beast when it comes to saving data and a backup system in game would likely take up a decent amount of memory over time, maybe this should be done externally.
While waiting for the Minion update, maybe this could be of interest? ESO Safe. This tool pretty much do what you suggest, except that it backups all SavedVariables (and not only a selected subset).

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » [Feature] SavedVariables Backups