08/11/16, 08:49 AM   #1
Didz

ESO How do I tell ESO where the Addon folder is located?[SOLVED]

Hi,

I recently had to disassemble my PC to move it to a new location and having put it back together again I found that ESO and Minion were no longer able to find my Addon folder.

This folder (along with all my documents, pictures, music and video files) is located on an external 2xTB hard drive (designated Drive E, and I also have another smaller external HD which I use for back-ups (Drive F)

As far as I can tell these two drives have become confused, possibly because I transposed their USB connections, but I initially discovered that Minion was searching on Drive F for its addon folder and had to change its settings to Drive E.

That worked for Minion, but try as I might I can't seem to get ESO to reference the Addon folder on Drive E, and it insists that I have no Addons installed even though Minion shows they are and is happily updating them.

I know by default ESO expects the Addon folder to be on Drive C, but its never been there on my PC and it worked fine before I moved my PC. So, how do I get it to look on Drive E for the addon info?

P.S. Its a Windows 10 OS, and I've changed all the default storage settings to Drive E.

Last edited by Didz : 09/18/16 at 05:46 AM.
09/17/16, 08:38 PM   #2
Aridias Aridio
Did you clone the drive? If so, the registry needs tweaked (I believe) so it knows where to look. If you rename all the new drives to mimic the old drive letters, it might find everything.

Otherwise, you'll need to reinstall the game or tweak the registry (assuming win10 it's even possible). I ran into this once and had to tweak registry after not playing W3 in ages, but it wasa more common issue and already had a .reg tweak online which needed a little reworking to get mine up and recognized.

If you run a ton of add ons that store info, copy them to separate folder, reinstall game, get it running, then drop the addon stuff back in after you've logged on and played a bit, then logged off and shut game + launcher down.
09/17/16, 11:27 PM   #3
Ayantir

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
ESO addons are located at this place :
http://wiki.esoui.com/UserFolder

if you want a deeper analyzis and want to help understanding why it's sometimes bull****, please run first registry editor (run > regedit).

Then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
What's the value of Personal key ? It should be your Documents folder.

Does it matches to the correct foler ?

If not, don't change the value. Use your windows explorer to do so.

Launch explorer, Right clic on Documents folder (at the left, on the tree, under My Computer > properties, then 4th tab Location. Here you can change the value.
09/18/16, 05:52 AM   #4
Didz

[SOLVED]

It turned out in the end that the problem had arisen because when i re-assembled my PC, it had exchanged the Drive letters of the two external drives. So, Drive E had been labelled Drive F, and vice versa.

This had confused Minion, and as it turned out a lot of other programmes, that suddenly couldn't find the folders they were looking for.

Once I realised the cause it became relatively simple to switch the Drive letters back again and magically solve all the problems at once. I now have a dummy folder on each drive called 'Drive E' or 'Drive F', so if it ever happens again I know which is supposed to be which.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » ESO How do I tell ESO where the Addon folder is located?