04/20/14, 11:07 PM   #21
Rainwhisper
Thumbs up

This is INCREDIBLY helpful, and now one of my three favorite add-ons. I was a little surprised they didn't simply build this into the game.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. It's beautifully implemented.

Is there any chance that you'll add it to Curse, so that those of us oldtimers who still have Curse Premium accounts won't have to keep manually updating it?
04/21/14, 04:07 PM   #22
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Rainwhisper View Post
Is there any chance that you'll add it to Curse, so that those of us oldtimers who still have Curse Premium accounts won't have to keep manually updating it?
Not commenting one way or the other on whether or not the author chooses to upload it to Curse, as that is completely their prerogative, but you don't need to update it manually. Check out Minion, our addon manager.
04/21/14, 07:37 PM   #23
Flamage

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Rainwhisper View Post
Thanks for your support! I'm really glad you like that addon and I'm working hard to make it even better (and faster).

Although I don't have any personal issues with curse.com, I won't be uploading the addon there - at least for the moment. I don't want the ESO addon scene to become fragmented like it did with WOW, where there were multiple sites, multiple addon managers, and them multi-site addon managers, with all the controversy behind stealing bandwidth and advertising revenue. The community here at ESOUI is wonderful, their tools for deploying new versions of my addon are excellent, and Zenimax's own support document on creating addons links to the wiki here, which I take as an unofficial endorsement. It certainly has the largest database of addons for ESO currently.

As Cairenn suggested, I'd highly recommend checking out Minion, it should be all you need for managing your ESO addons, and it doesn't require a premium subscription to enable automatic updating. Sorry if that wasn't the response you were hoping for.
04/21/14, 10:21 PM   #24
Rainwhisper
Originally Posted by Flamage View Post
Sorry if that wasn't the response you were hoping for.
That seems perfectly reasonable. I've loved ESOUI for years, but - in the interest of keeping my own PC streamlined - I simply don't want to install two add-on managers. Curse allows me to keep Skyrim, TESO, Minecraft, and WoW each updated. I'm hesitant to add another program to my system tray.

Nevertheless, I'm sufficiently impressed with your add-on that I will gladly keep coming here to get new updates. It's a wonderful addition to my gaming experience, and an obviously polished labor of love.

Last edited by Rainwhisper : 04/21/14 at 10:21 PM. Reason: sleepy typing
04/22/14, 04:33 PM   #25
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
You can also mark the addon as one of your Favorites, and then enable the setting to be emailed when one of your favorites is updated.
04/23/14, 07:04 AM   #26
Commenter
Long freezes at logout/reloadui

Hi,

I'm another user like ilmarine getting really heavy saving/logout-times. I'm up to only 400 books, and each time I do a /reloadui or try to logout the game completely freezes, I timed it a couple of times, landing at 53 seconds pretty much each time before it exits the game, or starts the reloadprocess (it is under one second with librarian disabled. no other addons were active). I can only imagine how long the freezes will be once I near the several thousand books that exist

If you're sticking to having the text saved in a variable because of people wanting to read books across all characters, I'm saying that this usability issue overshadows that wish by far. There's an option NOT to have books readable across all characters, but it still seems to use a full-text savedvariable?

If there's a chance to get another logic for the addon (for instance as ilmarine suggested, just pulling the text from the books found by the character from the API), perhaps make it an option (so as to preserve the current for those needing it) I would be very happy.

Thanks for your addon, it has been invaluable to my lore-philic playstyle.
04/23/14, 09:09 AM   #27
Myssy
long loadscreens/crashs

i am having the same issues.
long loadscreens and then crashes to the login screen since today....
yesterday and the days before it was only some "ok, i have to wait ages but it will reload".
Now it kicks me out of the game. If i disable your addon the /reloadui loadscreen neads 2-3 seconds.
Its really sad, because i love this addon and i love it that i can go questing and read the books later!

i hope you could fix this issue fast!
04/23/14, 10:15 PM   #28
Flamage

Originally Posted by Commenter View Post
I timed it a couple of times, landing at 53 seconds pretty much each time before it exits the game, or starts the reloadprocess (it is under one second with librarian disabled. no other addons were active). I can only imagine how long the freezes will be once I near the several thousand books that exist

If there's a chance to get another logic for the addon (for instance as ilmarine suggested, just pulling the text from the books found by the character from the API), perhaps make it an option (so as to preserve the current for those needing it) I would be very happy.
The problem with only using the API is that the addon is then useless until your character gets the Eidetic Memory skill. I, for one, don't have it yet.

The size of your library is not the only issue here. I know the game can write out huge amounts of data quickly, because while working on the addon yesterday it tried to write out a cyclic saved variable and I got an 8GB file in less than a minute before I end-tasked the game. There is something else going on here and when that is sorted there shouldn't be any performance issues regardless of the size of the database.

Originally Posted by Myssy View Post
i hope you could fix this issue fast!
I'm working on it as fast as I can, I promise!
04/24/14, 02:00 AM   #29
Flamage

I'm wondering if those of you who were having performance issues while loading / exiting the game would mind downloading a new beta version of the addon. If you go to the Librarian addon page, then to the Other Files tab, you should find a version 1.0.8 there.

Although I don't think you will have any issues with data loss, its always advisable to take a copy of your Librarian.lua file from your SavedVariables folder before you install.

Try it out and let me know if it has relieved any of your loading / logout performance issues. The freezing while scrolling issue should also be fixed.
04/24/14, 08:18 AM   #30
Commenter
Originally Posted by Flamage View Post
I'm wondering if those of you who were having performance issues while loading / exiting the game would mind downloading a new beta version of the addon. If you go to the Librarian addon page, then to the Other Files tab, you should find a version 1.0.8 there.

Although I don't think you will have any issues with data loss, its always advisable to take a copy of your Librarian.lua file from your SavedVariables folder before you install.

Try it out and let me know if it has relieved any of your loading / logout performance issues. The freezing while scrolling issue should also be fixed.
Great success! Don't know what you did, but the beta version completely fixed the issue for me. Logouts and reloaduis are instantaneous now. Great job
04/24/14, 04:21 PM   #31
Flamage

Originally Posted by Commenter View Post
Great success! Don't know what you did, but the beta version completely fixed the issue for me. Logouts and reloaduis are instantaneous now. Great job
Woot! Thanks for verifiying it for me so quickly. I've pushed that version live and now I can move back onto features.

1.0.9 is now out which includes the performance changes of 1.0.8 and also includes a new unread book counter.
04/27/14, 08:48 AM   #32
Eadras
Here is a Librarian.lua that produces errors with version 1.0.9 and a screenshot of the errors when the addon starts.

Thanks for taking a look at it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20140426_184752.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	194  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Librarian.zip (149.3 KB, 909 views)
04/27/14, 03:14 PM   #33
Flamage

Originally Posted by Eadras View Post
Here is a Librarian.lua that produces errors with version 1.0.9 and a screenshot of the errors when the addon starts.

Thanks for taking a look at it.
Thanks a lot for posting that. I've pushed a new build (1.0.10) which fixes this issue. I'm annoyed that I didn't pick up on those errors when I did the performance improvements. It just means my testing needs to improve!

If you have a bunch of books you've found in the interim, you can give me your new Librarian.lua file, and I can merge it with your old one. Certainly now you should switch back to your old saved variables because they should upgrade just fine.
04/27/14, 04:19 PM   #34
Flamage

Hi all, I've posted a new beta version of the addon that adds a frequently requested feature - it will now import any missing books from your Lore Library / Eidetic Memory.

If you're willing, I'd love a few people to try it out (especially those with Eidetic Memory - I wasn't able to test this part of the feature) to see if it works properly. Please take a backup of your Saved Variables first - although I don't expect any issues, it's always a good idea to have a backup copy lying around.

You can grab the beta (1.0.11) from the Other Files tab of the addon description page.
04/28/14, 04:14 PM   #35
Flamage

Thanks to all those who tried out the beta version. No-one reported any issues, so I've combined it with a new full-text search feature and released version 1.0.12.

Thanks to everyone for bearing with me through the brisk development schedule and any issues that cropped up along the way. I've only got a couple of new features to develop and then the pace should slow, resulting in a more stable addon.
04/29/14, 04:57 PM   #36
Flamage

I've released a new version of Librarian today, 1.0.14, which adds the ability to toggle books from the reader view itself. It also adds an indicator to the reader display if the book is unread. This indicator can be disabled from the settings screen if you wish.
04/30/14, 02:26 AM   #37
Flamage

I've pushed a new version (1.0.15) that fixes an error that was occurring when viewing a new book. My apologies to everyone inconvenienced by this bug slipping through. Let me know if anyone experiences any further issues with this latest version.
05/05/14, 05:27 AM   #38
Flamage

A new version of the addon has been checked in - 1.0.16. This version has a couple of bugfixes and adds a new optional reloadui reminder. Once you have found a configurable number of new books in a session (by default 5), the addon will write a message to the chat log prompting to do a /reloadui so that in the event of a client crash, as few books as possible are lost.
05/05/14, 08:13 AM   #39
ojustaboo
What I would like is a completely different addon to be able to interact with this mod and use text to speech to read the books to me.

My eyesight isn't what it used to be and I struggle reading lots of on screen words'

Editing the Librarian.lua in SavedVariables shows they are all there in text form, just need someone who knows what they are doing to be able to do this (which unfortunately ins't me else I would try)

Many many thanks, a great addon
05/05/14, 03:15 PM   #40
Flamage

Originally Posted by ojustaboo View Post
What I would like is a completely different addon to be able to interact with this mod and use text to speech to read the books to me.

My eyesight isn't what it used to be and I struggle reading lots of on screen words'

Editing the Librarian.lua in SavedVariables shows they are all there in text form, just need someone who knows what they are doing to be able to do this (which unfortunately ins't me else I would try)

Many many thanks, a great addon
Unfortunately, this is almost certainly not going to be possible. There is no way for an addon to get data out of the game into an external text to speech engine, and writing a text to speech engine in lua inside the game is out of the question.

ESOUI » AddOns » Released AddOns » Librarian