05/15/14, 02:11 PM   #1
SinusPi
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Lua errors in XML, shown as 8726823746287346

In a Lua error stacktrace, lines like "8528349283749283:3: (main chunk)" mean the error is in some anonymous Lua code in an XML file.

It's a 64-bit hex, shown in decimal, but that's not much help.

Does anyone have a clue how to find which XML file could have that number?

Of course, inserting an error in one of your own XML files can easily check if THAT is the file that has the error (as XML file numbers match between errors). I'd rather find the file name, though.
05/15/14, 07:33 PM   #2
Wobin

The only suggestion I can make is doing a binary deselect of your addons til you find the source.

AddonClearer will help with that, as you can shift de/select addons in the panel.
05/16/14, 10:20 AM   #3
Fathis Ules
Thief Guild Master

Premium Member
or start throwing XML to the junk and use Lua
05/19/14, 02:28 AM   #4
zgrssd
Originally Posted by SinusPi View Post
In a Lua error stacktrace, lines like "8528349283749283:3: (main chunk)" mean the error is in some anonymous Lua code in an XML file.

It's a 64-bit hex, shown in decimal, but that's not much help.

Does anyone have a clue how to find which XML file could have that number?

Of course, inserting an error in one of your own XML files can easily check if THAT is the file that has the error (as XML file numbers match between errors). I'd rather find the file name, though.
I ran into my share of them too. So I wrote this little piece into my Short Programmign Guide on the ESO Forums:
The UI XML:
People who worked with XAML/WPF before will instanly find familiar concepts here. It's a XML based markup language for UI Elements. Unfortunately it shares two other things with XAML (early versions): The most precise debug message you will get is "Something went wrong while parsing the XML" (without even telling you the line) and mispelled Markup is silently ignored, wich can result in all kinds of "X does not work" cases. Plus sometimes some values (like moveable) depend on other values (like mousenabeled) to be set, but nothing in the documentation says so.
95% of all "nil where value expected" here mean: you tried to assign an event in XML, but forgot to name wich event code should handle it. Or the events name in XML and Lua do not match. Or the event is not properly exposed globally under that name.
The best guess is to disable all addons (especialy those that could not possibly cause this error) and turn them on one at a time. Then throw out the XML files out of the manifest one at a time.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Lua errors in XML, shown as 8726823746287346