Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
01/31/15, 09:39 AM   #1
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Unhappy About addons and accidents

I had an extremely frustrating experience this week where I effectively lost 40k gold because items got bound to my character when they should not have been.

The first case happened when I wanted to attach an item to a mail in order to free some space in my inventory. I opened the mail menu, moved the mouse over the item I wanted to send and pressed E like usual. But for some reason the option to "Add to Mail" was missing and instead it equipped the item. I checked the context menu on a different item and the entry was also missing. Only after closing and reopening the menu it reappeared.
I didn't care much about it then, because it was just one worthless item that I wanted to deconstruct anyways.

The second and for me extremely frustrating case happened a few days later when I wanted to sell a valuable ring (~40k) to a guild store.
I previously bought it on a guild store and still had it inside the purchase mail. As I didn't have a need for it anymore I wanted to resell it and thus took it from the mail, opened the guild store at the banker in Mournhold, switched to the sell tab, moved the mouse over the ring and pressed E. Instead of showing the sell interface, the ring got equipped and bound.
I immediately contacted customer support and they told me they cannot help me in this case because they are not able to unbind items (9 month after launch they still don't have proper tools!).

Why am I writing this in this forum you ask? Well, it's because this all happened because of addons.
One might argue now that it might be caused by something I wrote myself, but I am pretty sure that I do not change the interface in any way that might cause this behavior.
I also never had this problem until I installed a few additional addons recently (FCO ItemSaver, JunkIt, Shopkeeper).

I suspect that the bug might be caused by ItemSaver because it changes the context menu, but I haven't looked into its code and also was not able to reproduce the issue since then.
One thing that I noticed, was that in both cases I was experiencing lag when I opened the menu (I always have the fps and latency meter on).

What I hope for the future by writing this, is that other addon authors see this as a warning and take extra care when they do things that might change how the default interface behaves.

I also hope that we can add a feature to ItemSaver (or make a dedicated addon) to prevent items from being equipped involuntarily, because this is something where customer support can't and won't help at all.

TL;DR: Items got bound when they shouldn't have been. Now I am extremely frustrated and want to prevent it from happening again.

Last edited by sirinsidiator : 01/31/15 at 09:44 AM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » About addons and accidents