08/15/19, 06:48 PM   #1
Supplier
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Proper Documentation for ESO Events?

Are there any proper documentation for all the ESO API Events in the ESO UI Wiki? I am having a hard time understanding how some of the events are triggered. For example, what would be the difference between:

EVENT_ACTION_SLOT_STATE_UPDATED and EVENT_ACTION_SLOT_UPDATED?

There are a lot more I don't really understand. Clicking on them only leads to an empty page. Is is mostly just guess-work and experimentation? Or is there a page that explains it better? Sorry if it has been asked before. I tried searching in the forums and google, but did not an answer.

Thank you.
08/15/19, 07:10 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
You can use this github website with the code of ESO to search fot the even name and check the code around it.
https://github.com/esoui/esoui/tree/master/esoui

Most of them are not documented and you are right about trial and error.
Add a callback function, let the function do something like d("Event <eventName> fired") and then you can go testing

I'd say EVENT_ACTION_SLOT_STATE_UPDATED is fired as the action slot's state changes (locked e.g. on weapon bar switch etc.) and the other is fired as the action bar slot chanegs in total (e.g. a skill get'S replaced). But these are only gusses.
If Is earch for EVENT_ACTION_SLOT_STATE_UPDATED in teh eso source code I find this file:
https://github.com/esoui/esoui/blob/...onbar.lua#L576

Reading the code tells me function HandleStateChanged is called and this function's code tells me the UpdateState function of a action bar button (determiend via function ZO_ActionBar_GetButton) is raised.
So you need to find the function ZO_ActionBar_GetButton to see what zo actin bar button is and what the function UpdateState does, and so on.

The action button: https://github.com/esoui/esoui/blob/...tionbutton.lua
The UpdateState function: https://github.com/esoui/esoui/blob/...utton.lua#L269

Seems the state change event checks if something is slotted on this action slot button and then changes the activated hightlight texture, and a status child-control

Last edited by Baertram : 08/15/19 at 07:15 PM.
08/15/19, 07:15 PM   #3
Rhyono
Overall, the documentation (or lack thereof) is the biggest learning curve with making an ESO addon.

Last edited by Rhyono : 08/15/19 at 07:27 PM.
08/15/19, 07:21 PM   #4
Supplier
Thank you both!

Rhyono, I tried clicking your links but they lead to a 404 error.
08/15/19, 07:28 PM   #5
Rhyono
That's very strange. I removed them since they are no use if they don't work.

Were you just using that as an example or is that an event you think you need? When you're trying to do a specific task, you can usually be guided on what to do, either via looking at existing addons or which functions to look into.
08/15/19, 07:34 PM   #6
Supplier
Originally Posted by Rhyono View Post
That's very strange. I removed them since they are no use if they don't work.

Were you just using that as an example or is that an event you think you need? When you're trying to do a specific task, you can usually be guided on what to do, either via looking at existing addons or which functions to look into.
No problem, it was just an example.
08/20/19, 09:13 AM   #7
ArtOfShred

You can also use Zgoo to monitor incoming events when they happen, which is a good way to determine what's going on.

"/zgoo events" will monitor events, and you can blacklist events you don't want to see by clicking on them.

Last edited by ArtOfShred : 08/20/19 at 09:18 AM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Proper Documentation for ESO Events?