04/29/19, 07:59 AM   #1
Anceane

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
what will happens to old addons ?

With the change concerning the way addons and libs will be treated, what will happens to some addons that still works but are either abandonned or outdated :

- Pawksickles
- Scootworkscompass (still using the version i kept on my computer) --humm sorry Scootworks, i love too much this addon of yours to give up on it, with it i am never lost on the game and i can find easily my directions--

Also, as a user, not using Minion, what will i have to do or not to do :P

- actually i often go through some addons to update the libraries and or remove multiples Libstub (sometimes there is mutiple versions of libstub not the same version, or the folder tree is not the same as in the .txt, so i do what is necessary. (may be its not necessary, but i feel good like this).

Attention, by saying this i do not point to any addons authors. You all do your best, and i thank you all for bringing to the game such great tools, and giving a lot of your time for this.

Can i go on doing this or will i have to do differently ? (dont ask me to go with minion).

Thank you
04/29/19, 08:16 AM   #2
sirinsidiator

It is hard to say. It depends on the libraries and how the addon uses them and also which other addons you run. If you only use these old addons, they potentially can work forever - unless the game api has some breaking changes. In combination with other more up-to-date addons there will likely be a point when they are just no longer compatible and start causing problems.
04/29/19, 08:36 AM   #3
Anceane

Thanks for answering me

I will then wait and see, those two addons are the only one really outdated/abandonned, and the others are a lot from votan, scootworks, yourself, Dolgubon, and more authors who are always keeping their addons up to date or working on it, so i should be fine.

Will the game block an addon that it will consider outdated or will we have still an option to force the addon ?
04/29/19, 04:49 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
As long as you enable the annoying checkbox "allow out of date addons" or "allow addons with an older version" you should be fine

You'll notice if the addon does not show up anymore or throws lua error messages. This checkbox is just comparing values and disabling the addons which are below the current game's API value (no mattez if they are working or not).
04/29/19, 04:58 PM   #5
Anceane

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
As long as you enable the annoying checkbox "allow out of date addons" or "allow addons with an older version" you should be fine

You'll notice if the addon does not show up anymore or throws lua error messages. This checkbox is just comparing values and disabling the addons which are below the current game's API value (no mattez if they are working or not).
Thank you for all those infos

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » what will happens to old addons ?