11/26/17, 03:26 AM   #1
manavortex

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[outdated] RefreshAddon(AddonName)

Hey there,
since a loading screen that doesn't gobble up chat messages seems to be difficult, could we perhaps have a way to reload a single addOn without reloading the entire UI? Is that even possible?

For clarification: Reloading UI will refresh the entire content of the AddOns-directory, including all subdirectories. What I'd like is to be able to trigger that specific process for just one subfolder in AddOns of my choice.

I'd love to be able to code while I'm chatting. :P

regards and goats,
~mana

Last edited by manavortex : 11/27/17 at 04:10 AM. Reason: clarification

11/26/17, 05:04 AM   #2
Dolgubon

Maybe some kind of short term chat log which logs a minute of chat even if the UI is off?

11/26/17, 10:04 AM   #3
Rhyono
I don't care about talking to commoners while I'm coding; I simply don't like waiting so long between reloads. It would certainly speed things up.

11/26/17, 10:27 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I like the fast reloads if I disable nearly all addons, so a possibility to reload only one addon's code would be really great.

But I agree: I'd like to be able to see that chat contents of my guild mates that happend during the reloadui too!

11/27/17, 03:19 AM   #5
Ayantir

What is an addon and what can he do ?

If I reload one of my addon which alter part of the core UI, should it be available while reload ui?
If I reload my chat addon which alter the chat, should the chat be available while reloading ?

11/27/17, 04:08 AM   #6
manavortex

The process of reloading the UI will re-read the entire Add-Ons directory. It would be glorious to be able to trigger this process manually for just a single subdirectory.

11/27/17, 04:21 AM   #7
sirinsidiator

How is reloading one addon without destroying the Lua VM supposed to work? You can't just load it again and hope for the best. Imagine you hook some api function and then reload it and it hooks the same function again. The old hook is still there - it doesn't just disappear. You'd need to somehow undo everything it has done so far, or you are in for some real trouble. It's the same problem that LibStub libraries face. That's why they have load and unload functions and still they have bugs here and there that come from multiple versions getting loaded one after another.

Besides what you are asking for is basically what "/st isolate <addonName>" in sidTools does. It unloads all addons except for the one you specify (and sidTools so you can undo it later) and then you can "RefreshAddon" just that addon via reloadui. Once you are finished working on it you just use "/st restore" and everything is back to how it was.

Delivering chat messages that happened during loading screens after they finished sounds great though! Would certainly welcome that.

11/27/17, 05:15 AM   #8
Dolgubon

Yeah I doubt it is possible to reload just one add-on -itd be all or nothing. Also, what if an add-on used a library used by other addons? That would also be an issue.

I think the main thing you want is the chat during reloadui though right? Otherwise as Siri said, just deselect most addons and it'll be a very quick reload time anyway.

11/29/17, 02:40 AM   #9
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
But incoming messages at the reload time (even if its quick) are not shown afterwards, right?
It would be awesome if the chat somehow would be able to "cache" incoming messages during reloadui and present them afterwards (regardless of the reload time that is needed).

11/29/17, 03:19 AM   #10
Ayantir

pChat! *auto advertising*

I could also write a whishlist for chat system for Mr Chip

11/29/17, 02:32 PM   #11
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
pChat is doing this? I thought it is only able to show chat messages that came in BEFORE the reloadui, not "during" the reloadui time?

11/30/17, 04:00 AM   #12
Ayantir

When you reload :

EVENT_PLAYER_DEACTIVATED > EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED > EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED

pChat intercepts everything between EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED > EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED

That's this period which is increased due to addons.

11/30/17, 04:55 AM   #13
Dolgubon

Yes but it doesn't intercept everything between
EVENT_PLAYER_DEACTIVATED > EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED , and that is the issue that we're having/want changed.

11/30/17, 06:02 AM   #14
sirinsidiator

Originally Posted by Dolgubon View Post
Yes but it doesn't intercept everything between
EVENT_PLAYER_DEACTIVATED > EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED , and that is the issue that we're having/want changed.
Just a dumb question. Has anyone ever actually tested this, or is it just an asumption because the messages between EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED and EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED get discarded? It could very well be that the chat events already get delivered when the loading screen disappears.

11/30/17, 02:50 PM   #15
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I haven't enabled pChat to store messages after logout etc. as I had several problems with blown up savedvars files etc.

So no, I haven't tested it yet as I thought it's not working for a reloadui and incoming messages.
Will test it in the future, maybe it works.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Wish List » [outdated] RefreshAddon(AddonName)