09/10/18, 05:02 PM   #1
Coorbin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Guild member online/offline status?

The "documentation" is pretty terrible for all the zillions of Lua functions we can in theory call (apparently, it's "look at the list of functions and guess the semantics"), so I was wondering if anyone could point me to the right functions for this...

Basically the high-level idea is to periodically save the current list of online players (@handles) in my guild, and save them to saved vars file. Then I'll write an out of band program to upload that and gather some statistics we're interested in.

The data I would need to take a snapshot of periodically would be:
  • Current time
  • All logged-in @handles, or just every @handle and their current online/offline status
  • Ideally, also their rank name in the guild or rank index

I can probably figure out a timestamp, but what about the latter two items? Are these data even available to a Lua addon? Thanks!
09/10/18, 05:08 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Try if this library still works or maybe revive it: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info5...GuildInfo.html

Else check the ESOUI documentation about "guild" functions, this is what I would do:
http://wiki.esoui.com/APIVersion#100024
-> Check API TXT Documentation link for the TXT file containing the functions
09/11/18, 03:33 AM   #3
sirinsidiator

Just make sure that you ask your members if they agree to you collecting this kind of data. For me it sounds like a huge invasion on their privacy, since you basically track how much they play ESO.
09/11/18, 05:22 AM   #4
Rhyono
Aren't I doing the majority of this already? http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1...dDataDump.html
09/11/18, 07:42 AM   #5
Coorbin
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
Just make sure that you ask your members if they agree to you collecting this kind of data. For me it sounds like a huge invasion on their privacy, since you basically track how much they play ESO.
It's not really that big of an invasion of privacy since we are only going to work off of aggregate data. We will have the raw data, but only present it or look at it in terms of a histogram of the times of day when members are online, grouped by rank.

And it's being done for their own good, to improve our ability to reactively schedule events at the times that our players most frequently play.

Besides, I'm sure in a large guild there's someone with an addon (custom or otherwise) that is already saving this data. We're just adding one very above-board use case. Those who want to opt out can certainly make themselves appear offline and no amount of scripting can detect them.
09/11/18, 07:44 AM   #6
Coorbin
Originally Posted by Rhyono View Post
Aren't I doing the majority of this already? http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1...dDataDump.html
Yes - thanks! I'll adapt your code to my needs. In my case it needs to run somewhat frequently (regularly) without user intervention, and I'll simply remove the storage of certain fields I don't need.

I'd basically figured out most of this on my own already, but I like your code better.
09/11/18, 09:59 AM   #7
SDPhantom

You should use polls instead of just player online times. No amount of ingame data collection is going to tell you which players are interested in what kind of activities. Also, just because a player is online, doesn't necessarily mean they're available to participate in anything.
09/11/18, 11:05 AM   #8
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Yep, also thought so.
In the past we just "talked to the members via forum" (which migh be orther media like Facebook or Discord for some).
Or use ingame addons for Mass-mailing the members?
Easiest way to achieve your goals instead of just using data they might not want you to analyze at all
09/11/18, 05:16 PM   #9
SDPhantom

One of my old raiding guilds was using sites like When2Meet to organize events.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Guild member online/offline status?