03/09/18, 06:44 AM   #1
BloodEagle
"Allow out of date addons" Keeps un-checking itself.

>>> SOLVED<<<

Just coming back to the game after a hiatus, and after logging in and seeing how many of my addons were out date, I click "Allow out of date addons" and then hit "ReloadUI"

Once it reloads, going back to the addons shows me that the "Allow out of date addons" has lost it's check mark and the out of date addons are listed in red again.

Attempted renaming my AddOns folder, SavedVariables, and AddonSettings.txt and redownloading one up to date and one out of date addon to see if it would fix it, but the problem persists.

If I check "Allow out of date addons" from the character select screen, they are enabled when I get into the game till the first time a "ReloadUI" is done, then the problem is there again.

If anyone happens to have a solution or an idea I would be forever in your debt.

Currently, my next solution is uninstalling/reinstalling the game.

Last edited by BloodEagle : 03/11/18 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Issue was solved due to the help of those on the forums.
03/09/18, 09:42 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'd try a /bug ingame as this seems to happen without addons (if you have removed the addonsettings.text, addons and savedvariables folders as you were logged out!!!) and might be a game bug then.

You could try to logout, delete the file ZO* (zos_ingame.lua e.g.) inside the SavedVariables folder.
Important is that you logout before you change files or folders in the documents/elder scrolls online folder.

btw: DId you check if renaming the addons folder just shows you 0 addons ingame? Are you sure you have changed the correct folder ?
Are you using Windows 10 and Microsoft OneDrive, then search the forum here for it as it might interfer with your addons/savedvariables folders (the user directory is kind of "moved" to the onedrive but eso is not registering/using it)
03/09/18, 12:23 PM   #3
BloodEagle
@Beartram Thanks for answering. I did indeed attempt all of the renames, additions, and subtractions while logged out without success.

As much as it pains me, I am going to attempt first verifying the files/repair then attempt a reinstall to see if it will fix whatever is obviously wrong with the game for me.
03/09/18, 02:38 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I'd remove the Elder Scrolls Online folder completely from the harddrive then (or rename it so it get's rebuild) if you really reinstall the game.
03/09/18, 04:56 PM   #5
BloodEagle
So after completely removing everything ESO related, reinstalling the game and firing it up with 0 addons installed, I logged all the way in, went to addons, checked the "Allow out of date addons". reloaded my ui and went back to the Addons to find out the box was unchecked again.

At this point I am not really sure what is going on or what I could possibly do to fix it. The last time I played 5 months ago it worked without a hitch.
03/09/18, 06:46 PM   #6
joshmiller83
AddOn Super User

Premium Member
Question

Make sure your AddOnSettings.txt isn't set to read-only?
03/10/18, 05:28 AM   #7
BloodEagle
Looked at the old folder to make sure it was not read-only, and it was not.

The new folder does not have any addons in it so there was no addonsettings.txt to be read-only, yet the problem still persists.
03/10/18, 06:59 AM   #8
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Did you check if you use OneDrive on Win10 and if the addon folder you changed was the correct one?

Did the Elder Scrolls Online folder + AddOns subdir and SavedVariables subdir, userSettings.txt rebuild after your first logout?

If you put 1 addon in the subfolder AddOns now, is it shown properly ingame after a reloadui?
Just to be sure you are changing the right folders!

If not serch on your harddrives for UserSettings.txt and maybe rename all or delete all and chekc the folders where they are in.

If this does not help at all the only possible solution I can think of is check the official ESO forums for help of a ZOs moderator and do a /bug ingame report.

I press my thumbs for you.
03/10/18, 11:14 AM   #9
sirinsidiator

Originally Posted by BloodEagle View Post
Looked at the old folder to make sure it was not read-only, and it was not.

The new folder does not have any addons in it so there was no addonsettings.txt to be read-only, yet the problem still persists.
That's the problem. addonsettings.txt is where the game saves whether the checkbox is checked or not. If it doesn't exist, you are either looking in the wrong folder (check onedrive like Baertram suggested), or your game has no permissions to write in the current folder.
03/10/18, 02:32 PM   #10
BloodEagle
So I realized this morning that I installed it on the incorrect drive (for me) and reinstalled it yet again to my correct gaming drive.

I am running Win 10 but no OneDrive, and checked, checked, and rechecked to make sure everything was uninstalled/did not exist. Started up the game on the new drive and attempted checking the box and reloading UI and the box unchecked itself again. I did do this without any addons installed though, so I will try one up to date and one out of date addon and report if it is working or not.

Thanks again for all the help, love the ESO community!
03/10/18, 02:37 PM   #11
joshmiller83
AddOn Super User

Premium Member
Reinstalling the game anywhere won't change where the AddOnSettings.txt is stored. That is specifically if you haven't changed it via Symbolic Links (Like I Do) in User\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live folder. Check that, that folder is where it is supposed to be and that you have write access to it. Even with 0 addons installed the AddOnSettings.txt should be there and be created on game start. AddOnSettings.txt should read like this:

#Version 100022
#LoadOutOfDateAddOns 1
#NA/EU Megaserver-Character Name

Originally Posted by BloodEagle View Post
So I realized this morning that I installed it on the incorrect drive (for me) and reinstalled it yet again to my correct gaming drive.

I am running Win 10 but no OneDrive, and checked, checked, and rechecked to make sure everything was uninstalled/did not exist. Started up the game on the new drive and attempted checking the box and reloading UI and the box unchecked itself again. I did do this without any addons installed though, so I will try one up to date and one out of date addon and report if it is working or not.

Thanks again for all the help, love the ESO community!
03/10/18, 02:50 PM   #12
BloodEagle
So while the files in the folder were not set to read-only, the ESO folder and Live folder for some odd reason ARE read-only.

Upon unchecking it, applying and hitting ok, when checking the properties a second time it is set to read-only again.

I have 0 idea what is happening....
03/10/18, 05:44 PM   #13
sirinsidiator

Did you by chance start eso with admin privileges in the past?
If so, try to delete (or rename) the whole "Elder Scrolls Online" folder in your Documents folder and start eso with regular privileges. Try and see if that makes a difference.
Virus scanner might also be a problem. Check if it is blocking eso from writing to these files.
03/10/18, 05:45 PM   #14
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Try malwarebytes malwarebytes detection software for free e.g. or superantispyware.maybe your PC got malware or random wäre which does this.
03/11/18, 04:29 AM   #15
BloodEagle
Thanks to all the tireless work by the kind folks in this forum, I was finally able to fix it.

The only major thing that changed since last playing ESO is my wife and I bought a lifetime subscription to BitDefender, which is a great program.

It was what blacked access to writing to the ESO folder in My Documents and I guess had even given me a warning which I did not see.

Letting BitDefender know that it was safe made everything work as normal!

Once again, I cannot thank all of you enough for the help and I hope you have a Great weekend!!

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » "Allow out of date addons" Keeps un-checking itself.