03/26/21, 09:57 AM   #1
ShadowMau
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
ScrollListExample

I have been learning how to use scroll lists. In my searches on this forum, I have seen numerous posts pointing people to ScrollListExample (https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...stExample.html). It is no longer working properly, instead providing an endless stream of error messages as people pass under the reticle. The errors may have nothing to do with the scroll list mechanisms at all.

Since I was trying to learn how to make scroll lists, I did not feel confident in trying to debug one. It does not look like anyone is maintaining it. I am not sure if the mechanics of how it creates, updates, and displays a scroll list are still valid, or severely outdated. I am underqualified to make that determination.

I am not asking for help as I am figuring out the beginning basics by looking at several other examples, especially libscroll. I know I am not the only one who is trying to learn scroll lists who has come across ScrollListExample. Is there a way to update it so it will be a working example since there are so many references to it?
03/26/21, 10:19 AM   #2
sirinsidiator

Dunno about that addon, but you can check out this tutorial. It explains how to use scroll lists in part 7.
03/26/21, 10:38 AM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
There was just a similar post yesterday:
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9652
03/26/21, 12:04 PM   #4
Klingo
ziggr made an "updated" version of that ScrollListExample for ESO 2.6. I also used that one to build PersonalAssistant and it should still work quite fine.
You can find it here: https://github.com/ziggr/ESO-ScrollListExample
03/26/21, 04:32 PM   #5
ShadowMau
LOL As I said, I am figuring out what I need to learn with scroll lists, but am nowhere near mastering them.

My specific comment was about pointing people to a non-working example from 2014!

Baertram directly linked the post that prompted mine. So, to be more blunt: Stop pointing people to a broken example from 7 years ago or fix the thing!

Since there are so many existing posts encouraging people to look at ScrollListExample, I would prefer someone who has access fixes the thing.

Last edited by ShadowMau : 03/26/21 at 05:24 PM.
03/27/21, 05:55 AM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Yeah, okay, sorry about that link than. But my post was more about the detailed description what is needed AND not about that 1 broken example (I did not know off yesterday as I posted the link) I also told in my post to NOT use the example's provided but try to understand the code yourself!

And beside that I'm not checking each addon or libs's code if it still works. It was an example link to the stuff I found.
Obviously this (lua errors occuring) would pretty easily be a finding for the ones asking for examples as they try them out so it'd be easy to tell it's broken.

Feel free and go ahead and update the example, as we all got the same access here.
You can use https://github.com/ziggr/ESO-ScrollListExample Klingo's example e.g.
If you need support ask Dolby or Cairenn to add you to the team of the example addon so you are able to fix it.

Last edited by Baertram : 03/27/21 at 05:59 AM.
04/08/21, 12:01 AM   #7
ShadowMau
Took your advice and completely rewrote ScrollListExaple. Hopefully it will help people learn the basics.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » ScrollListExample