06/07/21, 04:17 AM   #1
Scarr
Request: > Remap companion hotkey from "Interact with Environment" to other...

E for the companion sucks. If "E" is default for you, then you know it is also the default for "Interact with Environment". Meaning, LOOTING, OPENING DOORS, OPENING CHESTS, USING OBJECTS.

Now, the companion by default and seemingly unchangable without mods, is also bound to the same function. The companion interacting "hitbox" is massive, so if you are using a companion, you know well how frustrating it is to try and play the game and instead you get the companion dialog menu for conversation to open up instead.

I have no idea how to fix or implement this request, but I have some ideas.

1) change the companion interaction to "F" same as players.
2) change the companion interaction to require a longer time of pressing "E" in order to activate their menu, maybe 2 seconds of holding "E" on them to get them to open up?
3) disable all together the companion dialog option while in the game world, and instead, add some other means of accessing their dialog perhaps thru the menu system or only via radial?

Thank you!
06/07/21, 05:26 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If I remember correctly one cannot change the keybind as it will always be enabled even if you hide the text at the reticle. I think there was no way to overwrite this kebyinding without destroying it for all the other "Use" cases.

One maybe could block the interaction like blocking some action bar skills was done if you are not in fight (to suppress necromancer skills in cities e.g.) but I think it's different and there is no real similar way to achieve this with keybinds for the reticle stuff.
Perhas one could hook into ZO_Reticle:TryHandlingInteraction (but I think GetGameCameraInteractableActionInfo() does not return a dedicated value like "I'm asking for interaction with a companion" so one would need to check the companion's name below the reticle... Hacky solution with much manual effort to keep companion multi-lingual names, and new ones, updated :-( (https://github.com/esoui/esoui/blob/...ticle.lua#L133) and do some checks there, but I think I already tried this in the past and the work to achieve the wanted would have meant you need to overwrite SO MANY code lines, and assure all addons stil work, other/new addons need to be adopted etc.... This was way over the top.

Accessing the companion by other menus is not availabla s you MUST inetract with the companion, else the scenes and all stuff like equipment of he companion, skills etc. are "read only". Mans you can see them but NOT use them.
I already tried to add this to my addon FCOCompanion in the past and ZOs told me there is no other way then talking with the companion -> means the interaction is mandatory!

I guess ZOs should just allow to define the same or another keybind and you should ask in the official ESO forums for that.
The more will see it there the more will like the idea and ask for the same, I bet!
But addons are not really able help here, afaik, sorry.

Last edited by Baertram : 06/07/21 at 05:32 AM.
06/07/21, 09:37 AM   #3
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
I highly recommend No Interact.
You can disable (and re-enable) pretty much anything in the game. NPCs, companions, crafting stations, bugs, creatures, furniture, etc etc.
06/07/21, 11:36 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
But isn't it just "hiding the interact keybind text" and if you press E it will still use the keybind?
So if the hitbox of the companion would be above the thers it would still start the interact with the companion instead of the other interactions.

But I guess the missing text helps already to turn a bit and put the banker/vendor/others below your retircle precisely Thanks for the hint Lonestar
06/07/21, 12:16 PM   #5
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
No. It hides the text and blocks your interaction. When an interaction gets blocked, you get a message in chat of what was blocked.
06/07/21, 12:39 PM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Ah I see, we are able to overrite FISHING_MANAGER.StartInteraction now, cool
01/03/22, 11:47 PM   #7
Masteroshi430

Hi, I just made an addon that only allows companion /quest follower if you first keep the Ctrl key pressed :
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...oInteract.html

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Request: > Remap companion hotkey from "Interact with Environment" to other...