01/28/24, 03:59 PM   #1
robert.labrie
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Autoresearch styles

I've gotten a bit more confident now in my ESO LUA and was planning to fix AutoResearch (since SilverEyes has left) because the automatic style learning feature doesn't work. To my knowledge the way to learn a style is to UseItem on the relevant style page so I thought maybe it's an old addon and it didn't have CallProtected or whatever but there is no reference to UseItem anywhere in the code.

I found this weird line

Code:
    if equipType ~= EQUIP_TYPE_NECK and equipType ~= EQUIP_TYPE_RING and self.settings.stylesEnabled == AUTORESEARCH_ENABLE_SELECTED then
Which makes it look like the addon is filtering for specific item styles. So I have 3 questions/comments I guess:
1 - were styles ever learned by researching items which had that style? I joined in 2021 so I don't know
2 - is that block of code really to filter items to decon? Like to prevent you from using Yokudan Lightning Staff to learn that trait?
3 - or maybe SilverEyes never finished it

Anyway I might take over this addon, add/fix the feature I want unless there is something else out there already which does it. If I do, I'll put in a request to take over the addon. Anyone with ideas please LMK

Cheers,
Robert
01/28/24, 04:01 PM   #2
robert.labrie
Nevermind I re-read the docs it's a filter. Please delete this thread, it's just clustter. I can't find a button to do it
01/28/24, 04:14 PM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by robert.labrie View Post
1 - were styles ever learned by researching items which had that style? I joined in 2021 so I don't know
2 - is that block of code really to filter items to decon? Like to prevent you from using Yokudan Lightning Staff to learn that trait?
re 1. No, you learn styles by style pages or books. Reasearching only learns the "trait" of the researched itemType (e.g. divine 1hd sword)
re 2. It was checking for the itemt o be "unequal" (means: not) a ring and neck (means: Jewelry). And the 2nd part with
self.settings.stylesEnabled == AUTORESEARCH_ENABLE_SELECTED
I do not know what exactly AUTORESEARCH_ENABLE_SELECTED means but it just checks if this was set, and then it would go on, else it would not consider this item.
01/29/24, 10:39 AM   #4
Dolgubon

I think you have misunderstood what the addon is doing. Auto research has nothing to do with styles, style pages, or outfits. Rather, the intent of the addon is to research gear traits, such as infused, divines, and nirnhoned. To my knowledge, it has never automatically used style pages. The addon function is stated in the addon description.
An addon such as what you describe is definitely a good idea. I'm not sure if there is another addon which does incorporate that feature.
I would suggest creating a brand new addon which does what you want, as I think auto research's functionality is sufficiently divorced from styles to warrant it. But if you do decide to add it to auto research, please do not make it automatically on, as that could mess with users a lot.
01/30/24, 11:32 AM   #5
robert.labrie
Yeah I re-read the description and I get it now. It's fine, I'll make one that does what I need and share it. Thanks Baertram and Dolgubon

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Autoresearch styles