02/21/16, 04:00 PM   #1
dopiate
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
FastAPI new version before next patch (devs)

with the next api change coming i'm going to finish the new version of Fast API

New Image

any requests - get them in NOW pls.

I would favorite this addon so you don't get stuck with API issues and think "wasn't there an addon for this?"

-d

Last edited by dopiate : 02/23/16 at 02:03 PM.
02/22/16, 03:20 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
This looks very ncie and ease, many thanks for the idea and work!

One feature request:
Please add a button to "check/uncheck all" addons in that list, if possible.
This way one could easily mark all and just remove a few (if we don't want to update all of them).

And if the tool isn't doing this already:
Provide a possibility to add the FastAPI tag to the addon's manifest files where it wasn't added yet (or only for some we can mark too)?
02/22/16, 03:04 PM   #3
Wandamey
What does that mean that checkbox "Only change AddOns with API tag" ?

if it's unchecked it's gonna change all addons no matter what? even if they are not ready for the new API? I don't agree to this, sorry.

If this becomes a "thing" like you want it to, at some point there will be people thinking that using this will make their addons work with the new updates even if it's not the case. And they're gonna complain on our pages if they got UI errors.

And I intend to update mine only after checking that they are working on the new version on Live. Not before, and certainly not before AND after the patch: before for users who use this AND after those who don't use this. That's twice as much traffic, it doesn't make it smoother.

Last edited by Wandamey : 02/22/16 at 03:14 PM.
02/22/16, 03:25 PM   #4
dopiate
Originally Posted by Wandamey View Post
What does that mean that checkbox "Only change AddOns with API tag" ?

if it's unchecked it's gonna change all addons no matter what? even if they are not ready for the new API? I don't agree to this, sorry.
Not everyone will agree with the options?.

There will be warnings and notifications on things like that.

The tag is to opt in or opt out for authors.

If this becomes a "thing" like you want it to, at some point there will be people thinking that using this will make their addons work with the new updates even if it's not the case. And they're gonna complain on our pages if they got UI errors.

And I intend to update mine only after checking that they are working on the new version on Live. Not before, and certainly not before AND after the patch: before for users who use this AND after those who don't use this. That's twice as much traffic, it doesn't make it smoother.
You can opt out :-)

that;'s why there is a FastAPI tag.

I'm not trying to create errors but I think you can see the value in being able to change one API up or down or multiple ones.

I respect all authors code -- you don't opt in, it won't modify it.

but IF it's ready for the new API and you have the old one in there - then the user does NOT have to wait for your new version to play. They can patch it.

Let me get a better picture and layout tomorrow and then give me feedback on that.

Maybe I jumped the gun with an old SS but I didn't plan on skipping work today :-) -- it just happened.

Sirinsidiator was helping me with the layout and ideas (smart dude) ... so give it a day before you hate it.

-d
02/22/16, 03:40 PM   #5
Wandamey
Not all users will use this. Ever.
So at best it makes authors update twice instead of once.
Only interest is if one wants to artificially boost ones downloads. Not interested.

And you of all people sure can understand that not all authors will encourage the download of a third party exe.
02/22/16, 04:01 PM   #6
dopiate
Not all users will use this. Ever.
So at best it makes authors update twice instead of once.
Only interest is if one wants to artificially boost ones downloads. Not interested.

And you of all people sure can understand that not all authors will encourage the download of a third party exe.
I think they will be ok with it plus I will publish the project file and you can compile it yourself if you want.

You are first hearing of this, it was done successfully last patch. This time there are just more options.

Many authors expressed interest in this. It helps you going back and forth from the PTS to live.

It will be very simple - you opt out and the code will never change your API.

I'm not going to change another authors code without permission, period.

-d

ps when the next dlc goes live it's a lot better to be Fast API ready - and tagged then wait for you to change 1 number and have your users wait for addon approval. You know 75% of the users don't understand "out of date addons"

Last edited by dopiate : 02/22/16 at 04:08 PM.
02/22/16, 03:16 PM   #7
dopiate
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
This looks very ncie and ease, many thanks for the idea and work!

One feature request:
Please add a button to "check/uncheck all" addons in that list, if possible.
This way one could easily mark all and just remove a few (if we don't want to update all of them).

And if the tool isn't doing this already:
Provide a possibility to add the FastAPI tag to the addon's manifest files where it wasn't added yet (or only for some we can mark too)?
Hi,

That is an old screen shot - you will have a check all/uncheck all option. You can also check just the ones you want to change.

It's much more mature, but the project file is at work :-) ... and I'm off today.

-d

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » FastAPI new version before next patch (devs)