04/12/23, 06:35 PM   #1
plummleys
Minion wont appear on screen

HI i hope you can help

i have tried all your steps so far and none of them have helped. im on window 10 and tried also 64 and 32 bit versions of minion.

the only text document i have in the folder is this:
INFO 2023-04-13 01:13:44,261 [JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:start(43): Attempting to start Minion...

i can see in task manager but is not showing in system tray.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

oh it was working 3 hours ago but eso was not loading my addons so removed the app and all addons and has not worked since. i made sure everytime i uninstalled i removed all traces of minon. i have tried at least 20 times un-intstalling and re-installing with no luck.

not sure what to do next!
04/13/23, 05:52 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hello plummleys,

Like described here: https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8082
Please uninstall Minion and remove the Minion.xml and Minion.log files too (here is written where you find those: https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236)

Download and install the 32bit version to a folder that you choose, e.g. c:\Minion.

Add the minion.exe and it's folder to your Antivirus (Windows Defender e.g.) and Firewall (Windows Firewall e.g.) whitelist/exclusion lists and also allow the Minion.exe at the anti-malware protection so it's able to work properly and access the folders needed properly.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check point 13 of the troubleshooting link I have linked above and follow the description there how to change your Java application to use ip4 connections again.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After first start it should try to update Minion to the newest version so a popup should ask if this is allowed. Let it update properly there.
It should automatically start Minion again afterwards.

If this is never hapening then your connection to the esoui website and Minion database is blocked somehow, either your IP is blacklisted for any reason or your firewall is blocking this!

If after the fresh install the updater is not comign up and you never see any Minion UI:
Close Minion from the Task Manager.

Attach the Minion.log file here please so I can have a look what exactly it has done and says as error messages etc.
There should be an attachment button in your reply post, scroll down.
if you cannot see or find it post the whole contents of the Minion.log file !BETWEEN CODE tags! (mark the log file text and then press on the icon above the editbox -> # sign will add the code tags around it).

Attention: The log file contains your windows username e.g. c:\users\<your windows username here>
If you do not want us to see it use search and replace and repalce it with e.g. "username".

btw: Minion won't work if your windows username contains any non latin characters, so if your Windows username contains such you need to rename the username and only use latin characters, or use another windows user to run Minion!
04/13/23, 09:34 AM   #3
plummleys
thank you for taking the time to reply

i shall try the steps you have recommended and will let you know what happens and what worked.

thank you again.
04/13/23, 12:53 PM   #4
plummleys
Hi Again

i have tried all actions above and the same thing is happening.

windows 10 tried 32 bit minion.

i dont have an xml file only log in folder. it does not appear to create one.

what is the log file saying? that it cant connect to the internet?

it is also added to my norton 360. as mentioned before the minion app was working fine but stopped working on the same day.
Attached Files
File Type: log minion.log (468 Bytes, 154 views)
04/13/23, 01:30 PM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Hm it only says
Code:
Attempting to start Minion...
No other info.
I don't know what the reason might be then, somehow it's either blocked by anything that was installed on your PC since it does not work anylonger (any windows update done?) or there is another problem.

Is your windows username, as I wrote in my last answer, only containing latin characters?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_script These are latin characters, just to show you as others miss-understood "latin characters," and thought they need to use Latin/Roman number formats like I, IV etc
Here is another linkt o an odler post, explaining that:
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=18
I assume, as you say it had worked before, that your username was not changed to a new one containing non latin characters though?
04/13/23, 03:28 PM   #6
plummleys
hi, i have noticed in task manager, my uac in the details tab for minion is set to not allowed!! other addon software i use for other games is set to disabled. what should this be set as? if i need to change this how do i go about doing this?

im scratching my head as why minion no longer works for me which is frustrating.
04/14/23, 12:46 AM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I'm not sure what that value should be.
Try to run Minion with priviledged rights (as administrator), maybe that fixes it.
04/14/23, 04:24 AM   #8
plummleys
hi again

i tried running in admin but that does nothing either.

can i check what files im supposed to have in my folder.

Users/ rossj / appdata / local / minion / app is the following:

lib
minion.cfg
minion-jfx.jar
04/14/23, 04:41 AM   #9
Yzabis
Thumbs up A tip to make Minion window to appear

Hi there,

I had this problem with Minion not showing on the screen.
It appears just after I changed screens and screen setup.
The application was launched and it appeared in the taskbar but no window with my addon.
I try to uninstall and reinstall. Same problem.

Finally I went through the xml file. I saw a fixed position for x and y . A huge number around 3900. Previously, I had a screen on the right of the main screen. I changed x and y to 0. Saved the file.
Launched minion and ... it worked

04/14/23, 05:05 AM   #10
plummleys
hi thank you for the suggestion. the problem i have is there is no xml file. only a log file.

i feel as those i am missing files. its like all files are not installing.

im am looking in event viewer and finding these relating to minion.:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

-<System>

<Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting"/>

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-04-14T10:11:10.2449235Z"/>

<EventRecordID>88078</EventRecordID>

<Correlation/>

<Execution ThreadID="0" ProcessID="0"/>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-5QA0P01</Computer>

<Security/>

</System>

-<EventData>

<Data> </Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>PCA2</Data>

<Data>Not available</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>Minion.exe</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>Minion.exe</Data>

<Data>unknown</Data>

<Data>unknown</Data>

<Data>100</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data> </Data>

<Data> </Data>

<Data> </Data>

<Data> \\?\C:\Users\rossj\AppData\Local\Temp\PCW2DE0.tmp \\?\C:\Users\rossj\AppData\Local\Temp\ACG2DF1.tmp \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2E11.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2E31.tmp.xml</Data>

<Data>\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\NonCritical_Minion.exe_57c5e693b974ea76537f78d19409abd2cbbe9aa_00000000_47ce1ec1-8bc8-492f-8a54-92563797c961</Data>

<Data> </Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>47ce1ec1-8bc8-492f-8a54-92563797c961</Data>

<Data>2147491840</Data>

<Data> </Data>

<Data>0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

and then this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<Answers Version="1.0">
<Interaction ID="IT_LaunchMethod">
<Value>PCA</Value>
</Interaction>
<Interaction ID="IT_SelectProgram">
<Value>NotListed</Value>
</Interaction>
<Interaction ID="IT_BrowseForFile">
<Value>C:\Users\rossj\AppData\Local\Minion\Minion.exe</Value>
</Interaction>
04/14/23, 06:09 AM   #11
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
You should have all these files in your Minion install folder (try to install to C:\Minion please, not the c\users\...\appdata\Minion folder!)
after a fresh install. Minion was not executed yet and NO update has taken place!

At the last install dialog screen remove the checkbox "Run Minion" and afterwards check if all of these files are there and about the same size as my screenshots show you:

-> Each of the folders here got subfiles
-> Only the folder images got a subfolder "cursors" with some .gif and a .properties file

If any of these folders or file are missing your AntiVirus or whatever blocked the extraction of the files or the copy process of the installer!
Try to run the installer with admin rights then or allow the installer in your Antivirus / Anti malware so it does not block access to the install folder! Create the install folder before install and add the install folder to the allowed/unblocked folders before install!
04/14/23, 09:31 AM   #12
plummleys
does appear i am missing files, ok will follow your instructions and let you know how i got on.
04/14/23, 10:23 AM   #13
plummleys
missing the two updater files in the app folder.

missing 9 flies from lib folder

runtime folder is correct

bin in runtime folder is correct

missing 2 files from the lib folder in runtime

jvm.hprof.txt file
tzdb.dat

both of these are the only green icons.

i have allowed the install programs the minion app exe manually in my antivrus.

i have tried both 64 and 32 bit

ran the installers with run as admistrator as well as the minion app

not sure how i go about allowing access to folders.

still not working.

Last edited by plummleys : 04/14/23 at 10:25 AM.
04/14/23, 10:45 AM   #14
plummleys
this may seem a silly question but is the installer working correctly.... could that be a issue.. is there an older version that i could try ?
04/14/23, 11:43 AM   #15
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Yes it's working for many of us so not sure why they should not for you (And they had worked in the past as I understood cuz you said you already had used Minion properly?).
It should extract at least the 9 files from the lib folder.

What installer did you download where exactly?
Try this link:
https://cdn.mmoui.com/minion/v3/Minion3.0.5-32bit.exe
That's what I have used, installed and created the screenshots from for you.

Older versions cannot help here I guess and I do not know where to get older verisons.
It looks like your Norton Suite is either blocking soemthing (wouldn't be the first time,I only had problems with that crap and I never used it anymore after DOS Norton Commander, which was great) or your Windows System got something weird going on there.

Try the following maybe:

Create a new Windows user with admin rights. Disable Norton stuff there for this new user, if even possible. Norton was so intrusive in the past that it wanted to block and prevent users frome everyhting, even if it was needed...

Just install Minion to that new user and check if it will install and run. That way you can at least see if any installed software on your current user, which is maybe not activated for the new user, blocks or interferes.

About Norton allowing whole folders: I don't know. Please read the online documentationa bou your software, I hope they got help / support pages with info how to unblock/allow total folders like c:\users\...\documents\elder scrolls online or c:\users\...\appdata\local\minion or the windows temp folder for the Minion installation etc.

Or if you do not want to install anything try if the plain Java version of Minion works for you:
https://cdn.mmoui.com/minion/v3/Minion3.0.5-java.zip
But you need a Java Runtime Enviornment installed I gess to run the file "Minion-jfx.jar" from that zip file (extract all files and folders first before trying to run the .jar file).
04/14/23, 03:23 PM   #16
plummleys
hello and thanks again for your recommendations

update

used your link to download installer. disabled norton. re installed. same issue. spoke to norton support who looked into the matter with me and also said it is not a norton issue as when its all disabled the issue persists.

only thing left to try is set up up another user on my pc and see if minion installs with the missing flies and runs.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Minion wont appear on screen