02/01/22, 03:27 PM   #1
Octopuss

ESO keybinds limit

Is there a limit to how many keybinds you can have?
I had this problem in past and it seems like it wasn't fixed, whatever the real cause is.

Basically, keybinds seemingly randomly don't stick after logging out.
I remember I tried to extensively test this few years ago without any conclusive results, BUT my impression is that there is some sort of a hardcoded limit to how many keybinds you can have set. Globally. I use a lot of addons and I think at some point the base keybinds didn't stick either, and I suspect it has something to do with simply having too many keybinds for addons.

If anyone knows anything about this, I'm all ears.
I believe I tried posting about this on the official forums back then, but as usual, ZOS doesn't care about bug reports and technical questions in the slightest.
02/01/22, 04:10 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yes ~200
ESO silently fails to load them after a reloadui / zone change.
Before, if you recently changed them in the controls, they work.

So it depends on your activated addons and the total keybinds that the game + addons make.
If you want to circumvent this disable all addons you do not want to set keybinds for e.g., change the keybinds, reenable the addons you need.
This should work then, at least they save. Not sure if all will work together though.

btw, you had asked the same before ~2years ago :-)
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthr...hlight=keybind

Last edited by Baertram : 02/01/22 at 04:13 PM.
02/02/22, 01:40 AM   #3
Octopuss

Haha good find. I had no idea.
I have recently started playing again and could barely remember how to control my chars

Btw, just to make sure, the limit it keybind "slots" and not actively assigned keybinds?

Last edited by Octopuss : 02/02/22 at 01:48 AM.
02/02/22, 03:57 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I think it is "actually assigned", not available ones. But we never found out for sure. You might be able to test this by disabling all addons and counting the total available keybinds on vanilla controls (including 2nd and 3rd gamepad keybinds).
Someone, I think votan or some ZOs guy was it, told me in the past it is a hard limit ~200 keybindings that get saved properly at the server.

They should just change that to save account wide and save them locally, not on the server... But maybe that opens possibilities to botting or whatever.
02/02/22, 04:10 AM   #5
Octopuss

I'll have to test this. I am sure I have under 100 assigned binds including the base ones.

It doesn't help ZOS refuses to communicate in most of cases where something technical needs to be communicated
But what about the guy who deals with the addons system specifically? Maybe he could help push this?
02/02/22, 04:37 AM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Was addressed, the guy also changed and it was addressed again. Let's say: It's not on the priority list

Last edited by Baertram : 02/02/22 at 06:22 AM.
02/02/22, 04:41 AM   #7
Octopuss

Oh my Bleh.
02/02/22, 05:15 AM   #8
Octopuss

Oh and one more bizarre "feature" to this problem - you can't unbind keys either. They jump back in.
This is not what I missed during my long break from the game.

edit: Yea, I unbound numerous useless base game keys related to gamepad and whatnot, and they are right back after reloadui. I am basically stuck. FFS.

Last edited by Octopuss : 02/02/22 at 05:17 AM.
02/02/22, 09:13 AM   #9
Octopuss

I've just had an important thought: is the limit per-account or per-character?
02/02/22, 09:19 AM   #10
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Afaik character as the keybinds are also stored per character -> New char: Default keybinds for vanilla, none for addons e.g.
02/02/22, 09:48 AM   #11
Octopuss

I think I will just go back to Votan's Keybinder.
I use absolutely identical key setup on all my chars. One of them just wouldn't bind the Wardrobe keys no matter what. This is bizarre.

...and the two problematic base binds wouldn't unbind even with all addons disabled.
02/02/22, 09:52 AM   #12
sirinsidiator

Did you try to reset all keybinds to defaults? I believe that should kill whatever the server has stored.
02/02/22, 10:04 AM   #13
Octopuss

Yes, I have just did that.
Some of the binds I changed didn't get set at all. Some didn't unbind.
That's with all addons disabled btw.
I bet this part of the game's code hasn't been touched since it was put in and is bugged as hell
02/02/22, 10:25 AM   #14
Octopuss

Mildly unrelated - I found updated version of libAddonKeybinds (which I use and am not sure whether it can cause some problems on the server side keys storage), which according to a report doesn't work with Votan's Keybinder (that still includes the old one it seems).
This is really a complicated ecosystem, lol.
02/02/22, 11:03 AM   #15
Sharlikran

It isn't complicated at all. Reasonably so, users do not want to make alterations to mods. Votan normally is pretty good about making updates to mods. However, he may have missed this. Simply download the kebind library you mentioned by m00nyONE, then under VotansKeybinder delete the subfolder libs. That's pretty simple.

Like I say I know people don't want to have to look for that or hunt down documentation on how to do that. People feel Bethesda should clean their ESM file and users feel mod authors should clean their mods with xEdit but it doesn't happen. In case you don't know what I mean the documentation for cleaning Skyrim and Fallout mods is located here.

That is just an example to reiterate something I have mentioned all over the place on every forum for any site I post in. If you mod things you will have to learn some basic stuff. It is part of modding and there is no escaping it. If you don't learn it you will have hidden conflicts.
02/02/22, 11:18 AM   #16
Octopuss

Oh I used to play Skyrim like a maniac, I do know a bit about that

But LUA, that's coding. My brain is just flat out incompatible with that kind of thinking. Like most people just fail at math. It's for the few chosen ones.
I could stare at addon's code for a year and still not understand what the hell is going on.

Last edited by Octopuss : 02/02/22 at 11:33 AM.
02/02/22, 11:35 AM   #17
Octopuss

Also it's probably not just about deleting the included lib, because

This version cannot be used to replace the version used by VotansKeybinder.
It shows as missing whether it's in the VKB lib folder or main addons folder.
If this is run in main folder along with the one in VKB lib folder you get 2 split outs.
02/02/22, 11:46 AM   #18
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
libAddonKeybinds is not about keybinds saving or loding differently but about showing keybindings of addons below another sub entry at the controls settings. So it's just visual!
02/02/22, 12:17 PM   #19
Octopuss

That's what I thought, but it lets you save keybinds with special keys, like Shift+R, which the game doesn't support by default, so I thought it could affect things.
02/02/22, 01:16 PM   #20
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
The game supports this by default ;-) It is just not enabled by default, but the function used for that is vanilla code.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Tech Chat » ESO keybinds limit