02/15/14, 10:19 PM   #1
TopfliteB

Templar Talk: Builds, Weapons and Experiences

Hello all!

Thought I'd get a Templar thread going on here. I myself built one in the latest Beta just to try it out and LOVED it! I honestly thought that my main would end up being a Nightblade as I usually play ranged physical dps in my mmo's, but the way that Templar plays I'm going as a Breton, with a Resto staff and light armor. Magika for days and a healing glass cannon!

How about you? What build are you planning or contemplating? What do you see as the pros and cons of these builds?

Or just come and tell us how awesome Templars are in general!
02/15/14, 10:39 PM   #2
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I went with nightblade and Templar duo as well.

With the Templar I went with traditional heavy armor and sword and shield and put 2/3 points in the healing branch and the rest in damage. I didn't see anything in aedrics spear branch that appealed to me so ignored that branch totally. Seems to be working fine so far but only got to level 9 so hard to say.
02/16/14, 12:25 AM   #3
TopfliteB

The "Paladin" style does seem to be another popular one

If you like, why not fill out your build thus far on the Skill Calculator and we can all see how you're thinking and such. My own build can be found here

As for the Aedric Spear line, it does seem to have a more "up close and personal" feel to it, but personally I think that "Piercing Javelin" and it's morphs are highly usefully in both PvE and PvP. Having not only a knock back, but the ability to control your target's distance could be crucial. I know it may be less of an issue for Heavy Armor users, but as a Light Armor build it was always nice that if an enemy was getting to close I could throw him to the ground and get either a few spells off or a short heal
02/16/14, 05:17 AM   #4
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
From memory she was set up similar to this : http://esohead.com/calculator/skills...N7MzJZcY6zJZrM

Can't remember all the numbers now though so some may be higher than what they are.
02/16/14, 06:44 AM   #5
BlackBear

My tanky/charger templar build

I am going with this build since I am going to play the tank.

I just put together a few abilities I thought would fit well into the build but it looks promising.
02/16/14, 08:34 AM   #6
Callsign
My Templar build.

Build is designed to cover a variety of situations without the need to change abilities around. There are a couple of minor/alternative ways to change this build, but this does just about everything you would really need. I find Templar tanking to be the easiest to pick up and most straightforward to learn and understand.
03/21/14, 12:32 AM   #7
Jram77
Thinking Templar dps/tank

Hey guys 1st post here:
So i played 3 of the betas, had a great time, mostly played NB which is what i thought i would roll at launch but now im convinced on Temp.

Race- thinking Altmer for the magicka bonuses or Breton (feel free to chime in)

Armor-Basically what im thinking is Templar with heavy/ light armor (5/2), mainly for the survivability and some magicka regen and max effects.

Weapon- going 1H + shield ( will give me added armor and mitigation passives) + Bow (2 stamina based weapons so conserve magicka, 1 close and 1 ranged)

Skill points- mainly magicka/ stam (thinking 3/1)

Skill line- mainly Aedric (mostly dps skills)

Ultimate - Radial sweep (refills fast, can use almost on every mob)

thought process on typical rotation for PVE- piercing javelin (knock down-magicka based), shield charge (gap closer- stamina based), Puncture (lowers armor and spell resist-stamina), Puncturing strikes (finisher-magicka)

AOE mobs- fairly similiar approach with ultimate added in

honestly the pvp version is very similiar- open with sun fire for snare effect- shield charge- puncture- puncturing strikes (good video on templar pvp- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO08U...6-4lon&index=8)

probably add restoring aura to the line for the health and stamina regen

The bow will be added in during times of pve (unsure where, maybe group dungeons for the snare effects and distance) also large scale pvp when i need to sit back and pick people off from a distance or on top of a wall

let me know your thoughts or if you can improve here, thx
03/23/14, 11:05 AM   #8
Zombie_Head

I did several templar builds, really looks like my all time go to class.

Did one handed and shield, dual wielding and two handed. Light and heavy armours as well....

Its very hard what to do, since you can take a bit of everything and be a bit of everything, or just a plain healer.

What i know is, i do not like to rely too much on magicka, i like high HP and stamina builds to deal damage and survive (damage dealing from weapons).

Most likely, i will go for either a Nord two handed battle axe, one offence, one support and one defence and rely on my battle axe to bring the pain with medium armour.

A full healer with restoration staff and light armour

Or i will go for a dark elf DPS templar and dual wield with light armour.

Still can not decide, but what i know is i love the fighters guild skills (stamina based) and how they are seriously effective against daedra and undead (the knock back and damage).
04/07/14, 10:39 AM   #9
tls5669
does restoring aura act like a regen?
04/09/14, 01:39 AM   #10
StealthStalker
Here's what I've been using for dungeoning as I level now as a pure healer templar (currently level 39ish).

Both weapons are resto staves.
Weapon 1
Purifying Ritual (Cleansing Ritual Morph)
Mutagen (Regeneration Morph)
Honor The Dead (Rushed Ceremony Morph)
Lingering Ritual (Healing Ritual Morph)
Inner Light

Weapon 2
Purifying Light (Backlash Morph to heal)
Radiant Aura (Restoring Aura Morph - probably will replace this with Blessing of Protection soon, or something else)
Ring of Preservation (Fighter guild, Circle of Protection Morph)
Immovable (Heavy Armor Active)
Inner Light

I am keeping innerlight on both bars, taking up the last slot (never have to toggle except to turn it on), so that it does not fade and I keep it up. I tend to swap weapons very often to apply Purifying light or keep Circle of Protection up. In doing so, I would have to recast innerlight every swap.

With my tests, inner light is amazing. 20% crit from the get go, and then the rest of the passives kick in. I'm wearing 5 piece light armor for the regen and crit rate, so another 5% crit there atm.

I basically keep mutagen on everyone, purifying ritual down for the bonus healing and then keep CoP up as often as possible while throwing around anything else I need.

For bossfights, Purifying light is decent damage when I have the downtime to cast it. Have been getting 1k hits at my level.

Single target heals are covered with Honor the Dead, very well I might add.

Mutagen and Lingering ritual seem to sit at around 20% crit because I keep people topped off as much as possible with it. Where as Honor the Dead sits at around 40-50% crit because I save it for big bursty heals when they're low health.

This is purely for my PvE group Dungeon content. My solo set is completely different. I use one bar for combat while questing, and the second is devoted to skills im leveling. So the skill-leveling bar is up for exploration XP and quest turn ins, while in combat I swap to the primary bar.

PvP bar will be a bit different for sure as well, and really depend on the fight.

I can not recommend wykkyd's outfitter enough once you're able to set it up. I have 3-4 bar layouts I use for different scenarios, and I expect many more to come (Zerg PvP, Solo PvP, Samall Man PvP, etc).
04/15/14, 04:31 PM   #11
NixonInnes

Ok, since my last post I've reached the veteran content and have had to change my build a lot.

For those who CBA finding my original post in here:
I used 5xHeavy & 2xLight armor, along with 1H+Shield & Resto Staff. I also took 2H later on for a little more damage while questing.
My stats were distributed at lv50, something along the lines of: 19-20-10

I found this style of play pretty difficult in the vet content. I struggled 2/3rds of the way through VR1 playing with the above setup. Bosses would essentially last long enough with my low DPS to deplete my magicka and stamina, and large groups of mobs did too much damage for me to kill them before they killed me.

I decided to find a new tactic and reset my stats & skillpoints. I moved over to 2xHeavy & 5xLight with a Resto staff. Dropped all my stats into magicka, and use heavy Aedric Spear/Dawns Wrath DPS. I need to balance my gear by mainly wearing health statted items to prevent heavily delving over the softcap, but I am having a much easier time with the vet content now. I can burst down most mob groups and kite bosses pretty successfully.

tl;dr:
I played a tanky temp 1 - 50, then found the vet content was pretty hard for me. I re-specced to light-DPS and found it way easier (VR1 - 2 at least).
04/15/14, 08:48 PM   #12
tiomun

My Build So far.

I am a bit different I guess.

2 handed sword,
Heavy armor
and mostly stamina for my attributes.

Typically I play along side my wife who is a mage and uses ranged attacks. So I dive in and do some aoe damage while she plucks them off. I have just enough healing to keep us both comfortable in most situations. We like to be aggressive and focus on quests that are more rewarding for us. so we end up in areas above our typical level.

I have not brought this build into pvp yet, but I suspect it may not be great. then again any of my other builds haven't been great in pvp either yet.
04/30/14, 09:49 PM   #13
Seabhac
Originally Posted by NixonInnes View Post
Ok, since my last post I've reached the veteran content and have had to change my build a lot.

For those who CBA finding my original post in here:
I used 5xHeavy & 2xLight armor, along with 1H+Shield & Resto Staff. I also took 2H later on for a little more damage while questing.
My stats were distributed at lv50, something along the lines of: 19-20-10

I found this style of play pretty difficult in the vet content. I struggled 2/3rds of the way through VR1 playing with the above setup. Bosses would essentially last long enough with my low DPS to deplete my magicka and stamina, and large groups of mobs did too much damage for me to kill them before they killed me.

I decided to find a new tactic and reset my stats & skillpoints. I moved over to 2xHeavy & 5xLight with a Resto staff. Dropped all my stats into magicka, and use heavy Aedric Spear/Dawns Wrath DPS. I need to balance my gear by mainly wearing health statted items to prevent heavily delving over the softcap, but I am having a much easier time with the vet content now. I can burst down most mob groups and kite bosses pretty successfully.

tl;dr:
I played a tanky temp 1 - 50, then found the vet content was pretty hard for me. I re-specced to light-DPS and found it way easier (VR1 - 2 at least).
I'm running into a similar situation. I ran bow/resto staff till 47 then switched to 1 hand and shield / resto staff. it was ok till part way through vet 1 content and now I'm into vet 2 content and still not quite vet 2 yet.. but finding myself having some difficulty due to elites immune to things like binding spear, total dark, invasion, and many others.. I'm finding myself not doing enough DPS basically. I may try your setup here now.
07/06/14, 08:09 AM   #14
Abardomas1

some good tutorial videos for VR templar builds that helped me tweak both my builds once i reached 50 - I'm no longer underpowered! PvP, leveling, DPS, and healers. some have FULL build explanations which was rather helpful. http://www.esouniverse.com/character-builds/templar/
07/12/15, 10:32 PM   #15
MFreakinB1855
Need Some Advise

I have been reading through the forum trying to get some advise on skill tree set ups and what not and when I click on the links to see some setups you all link to it just takes me to an empty calculator. Can anyone tell me how to see the actual set ups or help me build my Nord Templar?

Here is my current set up.

Here is what I was thinking of changing to. Thoughts and advise would be appreciated.

Last edited by MFreakinB1855 : 07/12/15 at 11:51 PM.
12/19/15, 01:23 PM   #16
Quicksa
Some critique on my build please.

Hello, guys! I am new to eso, yet i have some experience in mmorpg. I theorized on my healing templar build. Wanted to make it durable, so that i could take some damage in case my tank goes down or need to absorb dmg in pvp battles. I will just post a link with my build, please have a look at it and gime me ur thoughts. Thnx in advance.
http://www.esohead.com/calculator/sk...KpUN8zL7zzK4EX
04/02/16, 02:35 PM   #17
SerSpiffy
Can someone explain to me why every time i click on one of the ESOHEAD links it just pulls up a blank tree?
04/03/16, 10:23 AM   #18
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
You probably have deactivated javascript and/or oder security related features of your browser.
Try to open it with another browser or add the website to the safe websites of your browsing environment, etc.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Class Discussions » Templar Talk: Builds, Weapons and Experiences