07/05/20, 06:30 PM   #1
almsivii
Graphics addon for epileptics

Hi all,

I've been playing ESO for a few years & unfortunately developed lightly photosensitive epilepsy recently. I play in a guild for people with all sorts of disabilities and some people, including me, easily get dizzy or "seizure auras" (nausea, headaches, eye strain, dissociation) from many visual effects in the game, and we'd love to help develop an addon to ease the eye-strain/epilepsy triggers.
Good examples of these are the Maormer quests, many dungeons like ICP, strobe effects in quests, most Templar/Sorc spells, high-contrast areas (snow) quickly shifting... Some bosses at some phases I even know to close my eyes for a sec or it can throw me off my focus. Same for someone activating HM, the flashing is bad. There are loads of threads on the official forums from other epileptics reporting these issues.

Many people and I would love to play without the risks of migraines or seizures! There's lots of games I can't play anymore in general and I'd hate for ESO to be one of them.
I have some faint memories of coding and worked as a graphic designer for a while, however I've never tinkered with ESO on a developer level at all. I'd feel bad just requesting for an addon to be made without giving a hand any way I can though.

If anyone is interested in making this happen, please do let me know what I could do to help
Cheers
07/06/20, 02:40 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Sadly we are not able to help via addons here
Addons cannot affect the visual effects of the game, just change or add some textures, controls.
And this is also restricted: We cannot change the 3d world inside dungeons, only outside (overland).

So all one could do via an addon would maybe "overlay the whole screen" with some kind of black/grey rectangle as a kind of a filter (if this would help somehow).
And even then it'd be hard to find the correct "trigger" because not all effects are "announced" by the game somehow...

I'd talk to ZOs by the official forums or maybe ZOs_DanBatson here in the forum would be able to forward this request so you guys would get somethign to ease this and make the game enjoyable for you again (like official settings to lower effects without having to set the graphics to minimum).

Currently there will only be that option I'm afraid: Lowering graphic settings so that some effects won't appear anymore (if this is possible).
07/06/20, 01:12 PM   #3
ZOS_DanBatson
ZOS Staff!

Yes this person is from ZeniMax!
I've passed the info along. Like Baertram said, there's not really much of anything an addon can do about this issue, unfortunately
07/06/20, 01:39 PM   #4
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Maybe some reshade mod could be used to make the effects less pronounced?

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Graphics addon for epileptics