01/31/21, 01:30 PM   #1
kooliloach
Trouble with research timers

Sorry if this has been covered in a different thread, it was not in the several I read, and I am too lazy to read every single thread as it appears there are way too many for my wee brain to remember. To start off with, I got me a new computer and it has Windows 10... What I didnt know, was that on the new machine, Microsoft decided to make ONE DRIVE a part of the operating system and completely messed up the directory structure... So being the pompous guy I am, I quickly disabled One drive and created a new user in the control panel and made it an administrator. This made a new directory structure and was the EXACT one the game used to have on the old computer (uesp works on the old computer) sadly, UESP doesnt work on the new computer... by "not work" I mean that it doesnt update the website correctly. The addon writes a file to the drive "uesp.lua" and the client then notices that the size of that file has changed, and uploads it to the website, the website takes the information and updates your character information. The addon works perfectly on my old computer, but not the new one, I even tried the suggestion to create a screenshot and take notice of the path it stored the screenshot in. Everything SHOULD be working perfectly... As a desperate attempt, I resorted to trying out one of your addons called "Timers of Nirn". It cannot be found in minion, but can be found on your website. It has 4 links in the description, all of which give me a 404 not found error. I then resorted to trying "Igor Research Assistant" (another addon on your website)... (this one is in minion)... but when I clicked the two links in its description, I also got the same 404 not found error. I have relentlessly searched the internet for a good research timer. My desire is to either look at my computer (or a website) and know which toons have finished their research and which toons need me to log into them. With addons like Traitbuddy, Craftstore, etc.. I first need to log in (to any of my characters), then find out (from one of those addons) which characters I need to log into. This seems counterproductive to me. I have 10 crafters on 1 account. I would like the addon I use to recognize characters from both accounts, but honestly, all my crafters are on the main account, so if the addon only supported 1 account, I can work with that. What are your suggestions ?
01/31/21, 01:52 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
and I am too lazy to read every single thread
Well sorry to say, but you named it yourself as a reason (in one of your 1st lines I read, before I gave up...):
I'm not too lazy to help but I'm too lazy to read this wall of text as a block!

This is no whatsapp message here, but a forum.
If you tried to dictate this, well, it worked somehow...
But will you please add some paragraphs and make it easier to read and understand. Even if you are lazy.
Thanks for re-formatting your question so human eyes are easily able to read and understand what you are searching for,
and I bet you might get help.
01/31/21, 01:58 PM   #3
kooliloach
Weird, so You are getting mad at me for not reading, so as an example of what I should do, you won't read either ? i'm confused. I listed Everything I felt was relevant, but If you want a smaller paragraph... here goes...

several of your addons aren't working despite my many attempt to get them to work.
01/31/21, 02:02 PM   #4
kooliloach
Also, If you link something, I will be glad to click on it and read it.... Please send me a link specific to my situation and I will go read it....
01/31/21, 02:15 PM   #5
Scootworks

honestly, I don’t really get it. I feel the same like Baertram. A huge wall of text and one question. If I get you right, you want to see i.e. CraftStore to have an option to switch between different accounts?
01/31/21, 02:21 PM   #6
kooliloach
not at all... I was saying that with certain addons that I would have to login to get the information about which characters I need to login to get my research done.

I have done several things.

I have tried several addons.

Timers of nirn requires me to goto their website and all 4 links in your description of their addon give me a 404 not found error.

i also tried Igor Research assistant (which only has 2 links) and both links also give me a 404 not found error.
01/31/21, 02:23 PM   #7
kooliloach
my goal is to see which characters have a research slot open/finished BEFORE I login (also known as offline).
01/31/21, 02:25 PM   #8
kooliloach
I enjoyed using UESP on my old computer when it was working... but timers of nirn sounds like its better suited to do what I am wanting, how do I fix the 404 error ?
01/31/21, 02:31 PM   #9
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
You do not seem to know how forums work and missbehave like in whatsapp here as I tried to say to you above already.
We can clearly notice this again as you start to post single sentences in new forum posts (within 2 minutes) like new whatsapp messages, instead of editing your last post and just add the text...

This is nothing against you but against yor writing style! So do no take it personally please nor answer to my beg for a easier readable text with something like you did ("Weird, so You are getting mad at me for not reading...").

Just change the text in your 1st post from 1 block to several paragrahped text blocks which are easily readable by the human eye?!
Edit, put cursor after a sentence, press return key, and so on. Very easy and the reuslt will be a great relief.
That's all I was askng for, so that I (it's my opinion, and I do not speak for others, but I bet/know many others will ignore your post as long as you wont change it) am able to read your question AND THEN I'll answer about your topic (and not about your writing style)

btw: I'm not going mad, I just tried to show you the humor in your post about no reading cuz too lazy
I did not even read the whole wall of text as I said.
Not many ppl understand sarcasm anymore as it seems

Last edited by Baertram : 01/31/21 at 02:35 PM.
01/31/21, 02:43 PM   #10
kooliloach
Sorry if this has been covered in a different thread, it was not in the several I read.

To start off with, I got me a new computer and it has Windows 10... What I didn't know, was that on the new machine, Microsoft decided to make ONE DRIVE a part of the operating system and completely messed up the directory structure. So, I quickly disabled One drive and created a new user in the control panel and made it an administrator.
This made a new directory structure and was the EXACT one the game used to have on the old computer.
(UESP worked on the old computer, but not the new computer) by "not work" I mean that it doesnt update the website correctly.

UESP addon writes a file to the drive called "uesp.lua" and the client then notices that the size of that file has changed, and uploads it to the website, the website takes the information and updates your character information.

I tried the suggestion to create a screenshot and take notice of the path it stored the screenshot in. Everything SHOULD be working perfectly since the path was the one I am using/expected.

I also tried to use one of your website's addons called "Timers of Nirn". It cannot be found in minion, but can be found on your website. It has 4 links in the description, all of which give me a 404 not found error.

I then tried "Igor Research Assistant" (another addon on your website)... (this one is in minion)... but when I clicked the two links in its description, I also got the same 404 not found error.

My desire is to either look at my computer (or a website) and know which toons have finished their research and which toons need me to log into them offline BEFORE I log in.

Whichever addon I end up using I would prefer to support 2 different accounts, but if not, I can work with that.
01/31/21, 02:50 PM   #11
kooliloach
when I said "My desire is to either look at my computer (or a website) and know which toons have finished their research and which toons need me to log into them offline BEFORE I log in." I am wanting to see who I need to log into before I actually log in.
01/31/21, 03:00 PM   #12
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Thanks, now I was able to follow your question.

OneDrive: You can right click the onedrive icon in the system tray, settings -> and there you need to disable the "auto backup of the documents folder to onedrive". This should move the items back to your normal c:\users\...\documents folder again.

The 404 erros: I dunno which links you mean in detail but most likely they are not existing anymore then as they were too old.

Not sure about the UESP addon, never used it. But if the screenshot says you are in the correct folder and Minion is able to download and install addons that are shown ingame after you did a reloadui, all should be in the correct folders.
Back to the uesp addon: https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1257-uespLog.html This one?
It's still maintained and should work.
But it's in the category UtilityMods which is not shown within Minion afaik. So manually download and install it from the link above.
The addon description says what is to do. If this is not working write a comment to the addon asking for help or report the bug (but please, use paragraphs this time ).
Description how to manually install addons: https://www.esoui.com/forums/faq.php..._howto_install

Be sure to use Minion 32bit even if you are on a 64bit Windows 10!
Allow minion in your antivirus + firewall so that the tool is able to communicate with the servers correctly. It will be installed to c:\users\...\AppData which is a hidden/system folder and thus needs special rights, in many times.
You could even try to run Minion as admin/with priviledges rights.

I wouldn't use any of the addons that say they are outdated or haven't been updated since years, no matter if manually downloaded here at www.esoui.com or via Minion.
The igor one e.g. is from 2014 and never made it out of beta state as the category tells us. Way to old and most lilely will fail to work at all.

I do not know any addon which does what you are looking for, but found this one:
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...archTimer.html
Maybe it helps and still works. It says it got a desktop tool to show outside of the game as well. I think it does not support jewely crafting yet (at least the screenshot is misisng it).
Else: Search on www.esoui.com -> addons for "research" and read the addon descriptions.

There are others which are able to help with research e.g.
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...oResearch.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Baertram : 01/31/21 at 03:03 PM.
01/31/21, 03:18 PM   #13
kooliloach
Sorry if this is taking a long time, I am trying out everything you said. I assure you that I am not ignoring your post.
01/31/21, 03:24 PM   #14
kooliloach
You said "The 404 erros: I dunno which links you mean in detail but most likely they are not existing anymore then as they were too old." here are the links to the addons... the descriptions have the links I followed. https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...ersOfNirn.html

the Igor research assistant can no longer be found on your website, but can in minion, just look up "igor" it will show the addon I mentioned, click on its name and it will give you a description... the 2 blue links are the ones I mentioned that give 404 errors.
01/31/21, 03:31 PM   #15
kooliloach
Yes I do have the 32 bit version of minion on my 64 bit machine, that was already suggested, and I did follow that suggestion...

I am however having a problem finding the firewall settings in my norton antivirus... all the ones in the windows settings for "windows defender" say to open norton 360, so I may have to contact Norton for more info on how to do that.... it would sure be nice if you knew how, but its definitely not your responsibility to know norton products.
01/31/21, 03:36 PM   #16
kooliloach
I did try out Arch Timer, it basically displayed a date/time (for example 2/2/2021 08:11), etc... so basically since I have 10 crafters and they can each research 3,3,3,1 (10 traits) that means I have to look over 100 entries to see which character needs to be logged into, thanks for the suggestion though.
01/31/21, 03:40 PM   #17
kooliloach
I love Auto Research, very good addon suggestion.... I sometimes wonder how I ever got by without it. It doesn't work offline, but wow does it work well online, it basically selects a trait to research (based on my preferences that I selected in its settings) each time I go to a crafting station and have an open research slot.
01/31/21, 03:51 PM   #18
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Could you please stop posting all as a new post and just edit your last post. It's a nightmare to answer and keep track else

Timers of nirn: Check at the top right when the files were last updated and you'll see that this one is most probably not working anymore (as the website is down as well -> the link you meant).
updated: 2018-12-02 14:49
I am however having a problem finding the firewall settings in my norton antivirus... a
http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=norton...+allow+program

-> or e.g. https://us.norton.com/search?q=firew...+allow+program

Seems there is no other functinal addon then telling you the research data offline/outside of the game.
CraftStore and others save it in their SavedVariablse though so one could read it manually from it.

Last edited by Baertram : 01/31/21 at 03:54 PM.
01/31/21, 08:14 PM   #19
kooliloach
I already handled the Norton firewall, and it was working on the old desktop PC before and after norton... so I seriously doubt that was causing the problem. But your suggestion said to do it, so I did. Unfortunately, this didn't work...

I do like your idea of a taking a different addon's lua file and using it... I am currently looking into files that will convert the LUA file into something that is way more understandable and is displayed without code. This is a really exciting option if this works (which it probably will).

I apologize if my behavior was offensive to you... I am more than frustrated (mostly at Microsoft) about my current situation.

The only workaround I currently have is to use steam and play the game via network using this computer and playing it my old computer... but the network lag is beyond horrible.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Trouble with research timers