05/09/19, 02:02 PM   #1
Lent

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Addon removed from sitewide directories while updates pend approval

I don't at all mind the approval process taking some time (ESOUI guys have to sleep, too ) - but I'm running into a couple issues that are particularly aggravating during the update approval process. Typically, updates are approved in minutes - but there are times when my updates pend for several hours (e.g. early hours of the morning EST), during which I encounter the following:

1) While pending approval, my addon(s) is completely removed from sitewide directories (such as 'Latest 200', browsing categories, etc). For example, Joker is in the Misc category - it no longer shows up under Misc while an update is pending approval. Direct links to the addon still work, and directly searching for the addon works - but otherwise, there's no way for new potential users to find my addon(s).

2) Post-update changes to the addon page go live immediately, even before the update is approved. This is painful because not only is it difficult for users to find the addon page while an update is pending approval, but when they do, the information they see is inaccurate for the version they can currently access. For example, if I add a new feature in my update and I appropriately change my documentation to reflect the new functionality, new (or returning) users are seeing features listed that don't exist. They might attempt to use these commands ingame (some people might even download for the first time because a specific command is listed as available), and may get frustrated that it doesn't work - potentially leading to uninstall and an indefinitely lost user.

---

Often, updates are approved within minutes - but even so, we never know when a new (or existing) user is going to be on the site browsing or looking for a solution that our addon(s) can provide for them. Worse, the updates between addon pages and the addon files themselves aren't in sync, which creates opportunities for the spread of misinformation to the end-user, potentially resulting in a negative experience (and ultimately an uninstall).

In my mind, the optimal approach to all of this would be to stage the pending update and the addon description changes until the addon is approved. Once the update is approved, the description changes would go live at the same time the new update does. This prevents all of the above issues, while also giving ESOUI the potential (depending on how you setup your staging process) to allow developers to see a list of all of their past updates and revert to previous (both the description and the version) in case of a bad (or intercepted/malicious) update.

Last edited by Lent : 05/09/19 at 04:52 PM.
05/10/19, 07:10 PM   #2
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Hi Lent,

Thanks for your feedback and I agree we could improve this.

1. This should be an easy fix for us. I agree the addon should not be hidden while an update is pending.

2. I also agree and like your idea to stage the changes until they are approved. Maybe only do it if a file upload is present if not and its just a description change then dont stage those and make them live right away.
05/10/19, 10:07 PM   #3
Lent

Thanks, Dolby!

Agreed with your 2nd point - certainly no need to stage anything if it's just description/images/etc that are changed.
05/11/19, 01:31 AM   #4
sirinsidiator

Staging changes sounds great. Having a way to cancel a pending update or even revert to an old version would also be very useful. It does sometimes happen that I upload an update and only notice afterwards that there is a bug that stops the addon from working and needs to be fixed right away. Being able to revert to the previous version would make it a lot less annoying since I don't have to reupload the old version and wait for it to be approved, or delay it until I have a fix and risk users installing the broken version.

Taking this staging idea one step further and allow different "channels" for an addon would also be interesting. e.g. dev/alpha/beta/stable channels which can be open for everyone or closed for only specific users or groups depending on the authors preferences. An already uploaded version in a "lower" channel could then be promoted to a higher one without having to reapprove it.
05/11/19, 06:40 AM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
Staging changes sounds great. Having a way to cancel a pending update or even revert to an old version would also be very useful. It does sometimes happen that I upload an update and only notice afterwards that there is a bug that stops the addon from working and needs to be fixed right away. Being able to revert to the previous version would make it a lot less annoying since I don't have to reupload the old version and wait for it to be approved, or delay it until I have a fix and risk users installing the broken version.

Taking this staging idea one step further and allow different "channels" for an addon would also be interesting. e.g. dev/alpha/beta/stable channels which can be open for everyone or closed for only specific users or groups depending on the authors preferences. An already uploaded version in a "lower" channel could then be promoted to a higher one without having to reapprove it.
This is atually a great idea as it would remove the necessity to upload a new version package where old, with the same content, already exist. Had this happen to me several times as well.
08/19/19, 02:00 PM   #6
Lent

Bumping in the hopes of any updates on implementation - any progress on this, or atleast added to a backlog/etc anywhere for future addition?
08/19/19, 02:06 PM   #7
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Should be implemented now, sorry forgot to deploy change.
08/19/19, 02:12 PM   #8
Lent

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Should be implemented now, sorry forgot to deploy change.
You're fantastic, thank you! Greatly improves my quality of life xD
08/19/19, 02:51 PM   #9
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Thanks a lot Dolby (and to everyone involved as well)!
08/23/19, 02:15 PM   #10
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Hm Dolby, I just updated a few addons today (FCO ItemSaver, LibZone, LibSets, LibCommonInventoryFilters, ...) and they all showed in the "Latest 200 addons" at top of the list as "updated currently" (with the red updated text right of the name) where my Author->My Addon List showed them as "Pending".

Somehow the addons are now inside the Updated list already where they are pending the approval.
I think this is wrong, isn't it? They should be in the "Latest 200" addons if they got approved, and not after I have hit the "Upload" button.
08/31/19, 01:54 PM   #11
Lent

Agreed - latest 200 (and all directories) *should* show all published addons (and the latest released, approved version). The issue I reported initially was that, upon new update, addons disappear completely (only visible by link) - now the issue the opposite: the addons *do* appear, but they show an updated version even though that version isn't yet available.
08/31/19, 06:20 PM   #12
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I think the current status is tehy will only show in teh Last 200 if they got approved.
At least I did nit see any unapproved ones in there for days anymore.
Not sure about the other sections oif the website like 15min fame etc.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Addon removed from sitewide directories while updates pend approval