03/21/19, 04:14 PM   #1
CatOfTheCanals
Minion not starting, known conflicts?

Ok, so Minion was previously working. It has been a while since I've played ESO so I can't pinpoint what exactly has changed since then, but nothing drastic, but Minion was working before.
  • I've tried everything on the forums:
  • Installing the 32 and 64 bit versions
  • Running as administer
  • Letting it through firewalls
  • Basically everything in the troubleshooting guide
  • Even disabling IPv6

So on the off chance there's some obscure Windows/internet/Java setting I'm not seeing, I'm trying here in case someone has had the same issue.

The below is the only thing that writes to the log file and minion doesn't write an xml file. It shows up in task manager but nowhere else. I've also updated Java, Windows etc.
Code:
[JavaFX Application Thread] gg.minion.Minion:start(43): Attempting to start Minion...
Is there any known conflicts even? And I take it Twitch isn't a decent replacement? I'd just have to keep manually installing all the add ons?
03/21/19, 04:27 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Are you using non-latin characters in your windows username? Minion won't be able to start then.
There are known issues with some antivirus tools so whitelist the exe of Minion in them as well.
Update java but don't ask me which version is needed. I think it delivers with a precompiled embedded java version though.
Search the forums here for java and minion, amybe you'll find some more threads.

Got no other ideas.
03/24/19, 11:01 AM   #3
CatOfTheCanals
I actually tried even turning off all antivirus and I have no non latin characters in my username. I'm stumped. Even if it were throwing an error that would be preferable! Looks like I'm stuck manually installing addons. I think I've exhausted all options. Thanks for the reply though
03/24/19, 11:31 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I'm pretty sure you have stopped minion in taskmanager and deleted the minion.xml file already to test if this helps?
03/25/19, 09:21 AM   #5
CatOfTheCanals
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
I'm pretty sure you have stopped minion in taskmanager and deleted the minion.xml file already to test if this helps?
Yes I've tried it. I feel like it's some Windows permission issue. Recently I had some issues with that. But it writes a new xml file so it has write access to the appdata folder, but maybe it's blocking something else seeing as it never actually starts.
03/25/19, 10:39 AM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
hm, there were some antivirus and malware blockers, even Windows build in antivirus was blocking some addons or managers to change the c:\users contents.
Maybe doubler check that all anitivrusses and even windows defender allow access for Minion and allow acces to the addOns folder of eso.
04/24/19, 04:51 PM   #7
maxheadroom2000
I think something is wrong with the newer versions of Java. Have you tried OLDER versions? Unfortunately, these also seem to be behind some weird pay wall, now, so they may be hard to come by.
04/29/19, 11:48 AM   #8
Lucifer66
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Are you using non-latin characters in your windows username? Minion won't be able to start then.
There are known issues with some antivirus tools so whitelist the exe of Minion in them as well.
Update java but don't ask me which version is needed. I think it delivers with a precompiled embedded java version though.
Search the forums here for java and minion, amybe you'll find some more threads.

Got no other ideas.
You have to use "Latin" characters? WTH does that mean? We have to use a dead language to make this thing work? Hey, how about making the program use normal characters instead, you know like a normal person would do instead of some dead Latin guy.
04/29/19, 12:32 PM   #9
sirinsidiator

For someone who doesn't know Latin characters, you are using quite a lot of them. Judging by your attitude, you shouldn't have to worry about this one bit. Non-Latin characters are mostly used by people who don't speak English (e.g. Asian languages).
P.s. in case you didn't know, you are also using Arabic numbers without speaking Arabic.
03/30/20, 09:20 AM   #10
maladjustedmind
same problem

i have the same issue as op did anyone find a solution?
03/31/20, 04:13 AM   #11
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Did you read the troubleshoot thread first?
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8082
Tell us what you have tried already + provide us your Minion.log file please.

Hints:
-Depending on your username you might be speaking French?
Install Minion to a windows user account where there are no special characters containing `´^!

-Allow/Whitelist/Add to exclusion list Minion in your Antivirus/Firewall/Windows Defender OR install Minion to another drive/folder (as it will be installed to c.\users as standard folder which is a Windows protected folder!)

-Start Minion as administrator.

-Download and use 32bit version of Minion!
04/02/20, 04:56 AM   #12
maladjustedmind
minion

same xml as op i have tried all those things and still no luck
03/30/21, 02:57 PM   #13
Sarmisegetusa
Have the same issue, clicked on it and only opens on the task bar and when trying to activate from there it disappears. The only thing that helps me opening it most of the tines is to click many tines(until it opens) on the.exe icon
The idea of Minion is good and supposed to be a great aplication, but due to it s errors for so many ppl kinda makes it poorly written and lack of knowledge from it s creator. Hopefuly in the future we ll see a better version of it.
03/31/21, 02:11 AM   #14
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Sarmisegetusa View Post
The idea of Minion is good and supposed to be a great aplication, but due to it s errors for so many ppl kinda makes it poorly written and lack of knowledge from it s creator. Hopefuly in the future we ll see a better version of it.
Sad to read. You did not even proof what you trid and what you did before writing such a post?
Where is your Minion.log and xml file? Where is the info about what you tried and installed, where you have installed Minion, what you did wih your Antivirus and other software?
Where is the info you have read AND tried the troubleshooting guide?

You should remove this non-sense post and rethik what you are writing as it is simply not true.

You guys spread hate about a software you are able to use without paying for it, that creators create in their free time.
I bet they know way more than you think but just got a normal job and life to live! And there are about 1000000 combinations of software problems out there the creators of this software simply are not able to fix from their side. How should they know what your PC software and patch levels look like?

Your post is neither helping and it is only demovtivating them even more if they get such an unbelievable feedback just because you are not able to handle the errors on your side properly
But it's easy to say "the others", right...

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Minion not starting, known conflicts?