05/11/21, 07:47 PM   #1
Narie
Talking Minion and Macbook

I have downloaded Minion, but when I try to open the file by clicking the icon my Macbook tells me that -
"Minion.app" cannot be opened because the developer cannot be identified - macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware""

It only allows me to move it to the bin. How do I overcome this issue in order for your management tool to be used for playing ESO?

I have opened Privacy and Security and given it access, but it still won't open, am I missing something. (I used to have a facility to choose trusted apps, but don't have that any longer - or can't find where it's at now).

Thanks

Narie
05/12/21, 03:17 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Online search for "macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware" showed me this:
https://macresearch.org/macos-cannot...-from-malware/

There is a description in the text beginning at the bottom
"How to override the “macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware” warning – Guide"

Seems to happen as the app Minion is not released on the apple store. Stupid behaviour of Apple to force developers to use the Apple store and pay Apple their x% by this. All behind the wording "malware protection", right....
Even if this might be a good solution to check apps for virus etc. But you can be sure that Minion is no virus or malware

How to override the “macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware” warning – Guide
Only follow the next steps if you are a hundred percent certain that the app you are trying to install is safe:

Open Finder and find the application that gives you the “macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware” warning message.
Control-Click on the application.
Access the shortcut menu and click Open. After you do this, the app will be whitelisted and you will be able to open it from now on without getting the “macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware” warning.
Another way to whitelist an app is to click the Open Anyway available in Security & Privacy Preferences. Note that this button would only be available for an hour after you try to open a blocked app. To reach this button, open the Apple Menu, go to System Preferences, click on Security & Privacy, and select General.
This short guide should help you install and freely use apps that are not trusted by Apple because they are not in the App Store but, as we said, you should be careful with such apps and only run them if you are certain that they are not dangerous.
Hope this is still valid and helps, as you have not told us your OSX version you are using.

Last edited by Baertram : 05/12/21 at 03:20 AM.
05/12/21, 02:09 PM   #3
Narie
Talking

Thank you so much for the advice.

It worked and I can now open Minion without the message and I now have given it access to what it required, based on the information that it doesn't contain any malware.

Regards
Narie :-)

Update - so I've now got minion up, however when I press the add button to add the "add on" folder from ESO it does not show any of the add ons that i have downloaded.

I downloaded the .zip files to the ESO add on folder and when I clicked on the zip files it created a new folder for each of the add ons I downloaded.

So how do I now add these to Minion?

Do I have to uninstall all these add on's and re-download the .zip files or is there something really simple that I'm just not getting?

Thanks

Last edited by Narie : 05/12/21 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Update

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Minion and Macbook