10/26/20, 10:45 AM   #1
danil0000
minion is unable to connect to the internet please check your firewall security proxy

I hope you can help
Attached Files
File Type: xml minion.xml (529 Bytes, 494 views)
File Type: log minion.log (10.1 KB, 516 views)
10/26/20, 11:57 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Did you do the simple step and check your firewall and proxy already?
For the proxy -> Open the Windows menu by pressing the WIN key on your keyboard and type proxy and you should see "Change proxy settings"-.
If you use any proxy which is setup there also enter this into Minion's network settings. At the top right edge of Minion press on the gear icon and you'll find the settings.

If you do not use any proxy but there is something enabled in your windows you might either got a malware or some tool installed which added a proxy there. Remove it and scan your system with your antivirus tools.

Also check your antivirus and firewall tools and add the Minion executable/folder to your whitelist/exclusion list/allowed programs list so it is allowed to communicate via the internet.
Check your software's handbook or search onliny for how to achieve this, depending on your installed firewall (Windows firewall? Or something else like Avast, Antivir, McAfee, BitDefender, ...?) and antivirus (Windows Defender, BitDefender, ...? Or something else like Avast, Antivir, McAfee?).
11/05/20, 02:28 PM   #3
iKorv1n
Had same pop-up. I use neither a proxy or anti-virus software. I did a clean boot of Windows 10 literally just last night and reinstalled Minion with ESO, got it working. Downloaded most of my essentials. Today I tried to start it up to pick up the few add-ons that slipped through the list and nada.

Posting now, but I'm going to reboot once I'm done configuring add-ons from last night.
11/06/20, 08:27 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
As I wrote: Check your proxy settings and scan your computer for malware.
If Minion is sometimes able and sometimes not to connect it's either your ISP or line which does trouble here, or your computer got a proxy active which is causing this, or there might be any virus or other firewall or antivirus software blocking it. So allow Minion in both types of software and check that your internet line is stable, maybe reboot the router or check the router's protocoll for more information.
11/07/20, 12:31 PM   #5
iKorv1n
I checked firewall exclusions, did not have a proxy, ran anti-virus, tried running with all anti-virus and firewalls completely off, checked router settings and reset it and none of these things worked, but interestingly a slightly older post for the same pop-up actually had the solution for me.

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Did you run minion with admin/priviledged rights?

The log file says "IOException: Read timed out" which means Java was not able to connect to the http website of Minion.
It tried using your proxy server (if enabled. You already said there is none so it uses the direct connection of your ISP).

You need to check Windows Firewall if Minion is really enabled for all protocolls (tcp, udp, others) and ports.
If so, you need to check if your router allows the connection or some other firewall software in your computer is installed and used.

I cannot fix this from here and cannot tell you more about the ipv4 and ipv6 stuff as I'm not java dev. Basically these 2 are different network protocolls. ipv4 is the typical ip address protocoll you might know, looking like this: 192.168.178.4 or any x.x.x.x type of address.
As the number range of these is limited from 1.1.1.1 to 255.255.255.255 the ipv4 protocoll was not able to provide numbers for the increasing number of devices in the wolrd wide web (internet). So ipv6 was created which supports way more number combinations + other features.
Your network adapter drivers either use ipv4 or ipv6, or both, to connect to the internet. If your java applications is set to only use ipv4 and your network connections settings says use ipv6 only this might be a problem.

So there was some command console (WIN key + r, type "cmd" and run as administrator) command to switch the java stack to use both or only one of these I remember.
I found this thread about it e.g.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...pv4-ips-on-jre

Close Minion.
Use taskmanager to check if all minion.exe processes are really closed!

Windows:
If you are using Windows, just run this command on Windows cmd (WIN key+r -> type cmd and run as admin then):
Code:
setx _JAVA_OPTIONS -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
Press return key afterwards.

Run Minion 32bit version then (if you have installed Minion 64bit client deinstall it and download the Minion 32bit client instead!) as admin and tyr again. Hope it helps.
Using this command prompt line seems to have been the key. That thread closed out saying that a VPN solved the issue for the claimant, but I tried this and it worked for me. Not sure if it'll help OP here.
11/07/20, 03:19 PM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Thanks for the feedback. This solution is also mentioned in the Minion troubleshooting "sticky" thread:
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8082

I thought you had read and tried this already so I did not mention it again.

Last edited by Baertram : 11/09/20 at 07:24 AM.
11/08/20, 10:55 AM   #7
iKorv1n
Nope, I was being a Karen. That's on me.
04/22/21, 07:19 PM   #8
Sylvermoon
Had this issue. Yesterday morning, Minion worked just fine. Played all day, no addon issues. Yesterday evening Minion gave me this same error. No, I didn't update anything. I allow nothing to autoupdate, so nope. I did all the troubleshooting steps, still not working.

This morning I thought to check Control Panel/Internet Options. There were various SSL protocols not activated (IIRC, SSL 2.0, TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, TLS 1.2). Clicking the checkboxes for those not checked, then trying Minion again.... Yep, Minion is working fine now.

Don't have a clue why, but I'm happy - trying to manually update 65+ addons is a right PTIA, y'know?

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » minion is unable to connect to the internet please check your firewall security proxy