06/11/21, 02:43 PM   #21
Faulon
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Others having a similar issue had either a corrupt download of the jar containing file, or at least missing subfolders of that downloaded file (like the libs folder).
Try to validate it's the full file and you have extracted all properly.
I come across another post and forgot to insert it here, but it is saying I need the jJavaFX installed. Well I am extremely new to Linux so I have the zip file of the javafx, but I'm three sheets to the wind on installing it correctly. Ive tried extracting it to my usr/local directory, fired up netbeans but its not registering any JavaFX file.

I did run the other option of installing through lutris but it is next to impossible to read and last time I attempted to run it, (which was months ago) minion would simply crash.

I like the instructions from Dolby, but it sounds like I need to install the JavaFX for it to properly install. the .jar

UPDATE: I'm just using the Lutris install instructions to run Minion. I am not going to worry about JvaFX right now, don't need to.

Last edited by Faulon : 06/13/21 at 01:50 AM.
07/09/21, 03:39 PM   #22
[Daniel]
Originally Posted by Techwolf View Post
Update 3: I revisited this issue and found out the root cause of the error was missing openjfx from openjdk. Search for and install the openjfx package for the distro. For gentoo system, enable and openjfx USE flag and re-emerge openjdk. Got past the error but gets stuck at init. Can get to settings and so on, but the black popup will not go away. Can close the program normally.
Lots of great information in this thread, but Techwolf's update held the answer I needed to get passed the "Could not find or load main class gg.minion.Minion" error I was getting after first trying to launch Minion.

I'm a relatively new Linux user testing out Manjaro 21.07 (KDE Plasma) as my possible Windows replacement and finding that every moment is a learning opportunity.

Here's what I did (craddle to grave) in case the steps help someone else:
1) Installed ESO via Steam/Proton (steam pre-installed by Manjaro KDE)
2) Copied my pre-existing Windows Addon folder to the new Linux/Steam path... /home/<userid>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/306130/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/AddOns/
3) Downloaded and extracted the Minion Java archive file to a Minion folder on my desktop
4) Used Manjaro's "Add/Remove Software" to install jre8-openjdk-headless 8.u292-1
5) Opened the Minion Folder on my desktop and launched a terminal from there
6) executed java -jar Minion-jfx.jar... and received the "Could not find or load main class gg.minion.Minion" error
7) Found Techwolf's note and used Manjaro's "Add/Remove Software" to install java8-openjfx 8.u.202-3 (quite possibly the only software I needed to install as it includes the JDK in its dependencies)
8) Returned to the terminal session at the Minion Folder and re-executed java -jar Minion-jfx.jar... Success!
9) copied the Null folder update over the original JAR
10) Returned to the terminal session at the Minion Folder and re-executed java -jar Minion-jfx.jar... Success!
11) I noticed Minions tree for navigating to the addon folder was not showing hidden folders, but found that if I clicked the pencil you could type/paste in your own path... /home/<userid>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/306130/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/AddOns/
12) I watched in the terminal as it successfully parsed all my addons, but noticed that the UI didn't update with my ESO Addon list
13) Closed Minion and relaunched once more via terminal... java -jar Minion-jfx.jar... Success, ESO and it's addons listed as expected!
14) Added a minion.sh script to my desktop with the following code so I can click-to-launch (replace your userid for <userid>)
Code:
#!/bin/bash
cd /home/<userid>/Desktop/Minion/
java -jar Minion-jfx.jar

Last edited by [Daniel] : 07/09/21 at 03:55 PM.
01/10/22, 06:35 PM   #23
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Just posting an update since its been awhile and I just had to test Minion in Ubuntu 18x.

This is what I did to get Minion running...
  1. Download jdk8 from oracle, you need an account but its free
    https://www.oracle.com/java/technolo...wnloads/#java8
    Download latest jkd-8u___-linux-x64.tar.gz into your Download directory ~/Downloads
  2. Open up terminal and...
  3. cd ~/Downloads
  4. wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ch...nstall-java.sh
  5. chmod +x install-java.sh
  6. sudo ./install-java.sh -f jdk-8u311-linux-x64.tar.gz
    Answer 'y' to all questions
  7. Verify we have jdk8 as default:
    java -version
    java version "1.8.0_311"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_311-b11)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.311-b11, mixed mode)
  8. wget https://cdn.mmoui.com/minion/v3/Minion3.0.5-java.zip
  9. mkdir minion
  10. unzip Minion3.0.5-java.zip -d minion
  11. cd minion
  12. java -jar Minion-jfx.jar
  13. Update Minion and it will quit. There is a bug where it will download the update into a sub directory named "null" inside the minion directory.
  14. cd null
  15. java -jar Minion-jfx.jar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ubuntu18-minion.PNG
Views:	787
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	1440  
03/18/22, 09:32 AM   #24
10leej
Just out of curiousity, would this work with openjdk? If so we could just package it up as flatpak or appimage so we don't have to go through so much work just to get it running.
03/24/22, 03:15 PM   #25
k33ny
Lutris!

I've written a script to install Minion-java properly on Lutris (without wine).
03/25/22, 06:36 AM   #26
k33ny
Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
Just out of curiousity, would this work with openjdk? If so we could just package it up as flatpak or appimage so we don't have to go through so much work just to get it running.
Unfortunatelly, this does NOT work with openjdk8. I did manage to make it run with openjdk17 + openjfx17, however only partially as updates would still not work.
03/25/22, 07:05 AM   #27
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Updates of Minion do not work?
Well I'd refrain from not installing the updates and using it like that as the log4j security fixes are only available in the updted Minion 3.0.6+ versions, but not in any 3.0.5 version (or early 3.0.6 versions).
04/05/22, 07:03 AM   #28
XXXBold
Can't start minion anymore

I'm having a weird issue with minion on my Linux machine, I followed the instructions on how to install and also got it working.

Didn't use minion for a while then (about 2 months or so), and now I can't start it anymore.
It keeps throwing exceptions on startup (Only visible when starting from terminal), and the window is not fully shown, just the border. There it hangs forever, see terminal.txt. minion.log is also included, but probably not helpful.

After some testing, I found out that it seems to be an issue with the proprietary NVIDIA Driver, maybe an update broke this. When I switch to the free nouveau driver, I can start minion normally and it works as intended (Systemdetails: system.txt).

I installed it like this: "Minion-jfx.jar" + "lib" and the required java-runtime in the same directory, with a startscript containing the following:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#Start minion addon manager
export PATH=./jdk1.8.0_311/bin:$PATH
export JAVA_HOME=./jdk1.8.0_311
java -jar Minion-jfx.jar
Feel free to ask for more information, I'm glad to help solving this.

Thanks and Regards,

XXXBold
Attached Files
File Type: log minion.log (4.7 KB, 480 views)
File Type: txt terminal.txt (40.5 KB, 488 views)
File Type: txt system.txt (3.2 KB, 453 views)
06/28/22, 02:38 PM   #29
daimon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Is there like some easy mode *cough* to get Minion workin on Steam Deck ?
06/30/22, 08:34 AM   #30
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by daimon View Post
Is there like some easy mode *cough* to get Minion workin on Steam Deck ?
Won't get mine until Q3 (soon) However I think I can install steamOS on virtualbox and play around so I'll try and find some time to do so.

As long as you can get java 8 installed on it I dont see why it wouldn't work.

Last edited by Dolby : 06/30/22 at 09:13 AM.
06/30/22, 03:57 PM   #31
daimon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Won't get mine until Q3 (soon) However I think I can install steamOS on virtualbox and play around so I'll try and find some time to do so.

As long as you can get java 8 installed on it I dont see why it wouldn't work.
Heya Dolby! I hope you're doing good old pal And good to hear you're getting your deck soon, it's quite cool thingie ^^

Thanks in advance.
08/30/22, 12:16 AM   #32
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
If you use Linux and Minion is not working, someone made a simple addon downloader:
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.co...don-downloader

I made a simple addon downloader (and maybe a proper manager in future) for Linux. It should work on Steam Deck as well, but I don't have one so I can't try it.

What it does is basically automate the downloading and unzipping for all the addons you list.
There is also button to update TTC prices.

The source code is open so you can check what it does in here: https://codeberg.org/akselmo/ESOLinuxAddonManager
Also the readme has the instructions, so please read those.

Also here's direct link to the downloads https://codeberg.org/akselmo/ESOLinu...nager/releases

The app is distributed as an appimage.

If you have any bugs or issues with the app, please create a new issue in the codeberg, it's easier to track that way.
09/12/22, 03:49 PM   #33
loktai
Minion 3.05 appears to be broken on Linux - I had minion working just fine, and then suddenly my install was broken. Installing via Lutris fails as does installing via the AUR package available for Manjaro/Arch users.

Seconding the addon downloader as a meanwhile solution.

EDIT: And now it's working... v0v

Last edited by loktai : 09/15/22 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Update
11/19/22, 10:45 PM   #34
Zastrix

I currently am working on a flatpak for Minion. I made it work with a flatpak installation of ESO on Steam. The only current problem I'm facing is that darn auto-update message and the fact that flatpak is Read-only. I did ask for some help on the flathub forums but I'll respond here when an update happens.

Edit:

Here it is on github, I'll see to add it to flathub these days as soon as I am finished with college tests. The issue is still present and can not be fixed because otherwise it would cause a big safety risk. I'll be able to update it there only when the devs update minion.

I could update it by essentially putting Minion binaries and libs in the repo itself but that would break the EULA afaik so I'm not gonna' do that.

Edit v2:

I realized that that version doesn't actually support aarch64 for people running macs w/ linux so I'm working on that first.

Last edited by Zastrix : 11/23/22 at 08:54 PM.
11/21/22, 08:24 PM   #35
Zastrix

New update: I managed to make it work on aarch64/ARM64 devices, thankfully I had a high-performance ARM64 ubuntu server with an RDP connection.

The repo itself does not hold any minion code, it downloads it from the website during installation. To actually post it on flathub I do need to permission, so @Baertram, with you being the developer of it, is it alright for me to submit the aforementioned repo to flathub alongside the domain I've put it on `com.mmoui.Minion`?

edit:

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
ping!
edit v2:

You have the github link above so you can check it out and do holler if you're not okay with something!

Last edited by Zastrix : 11/22/22 at 03:15 AM.
11/22/22, 06:42 AM   #36
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Hello Zastrix,

I'm not the developer and I'm not involved into Minion by any ways I'm just one of the helping hands around.
Please contact Dolby for that, at best via PM.
11/22/22, 12:46 PM   #37
Zastrix

Oh my bad! I saw you on multiple posts and I thought it was like that!

Thanks for the answer! I'm gonna' do that right now!

Edit:

We are discussing the details over it but Minion will be available on the flathub/system stores eventually!

Last edited by Zastrix : 11/24/22 at 09:35 PM.
01/26/23, 09:37 AM   #38
hanny00

Hello all, i had yesterday the same Problem as others, Miniongg would not start and it shows an error:
Error: Main class gg.minion.Minion could not be found or loaded

I use Manjaro Linux and i use the aur package.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/miniongg

I found out that Miniongg needs as dependencies: java8-openjfx
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/java8-openjfx

to build this it needs python2. I edit the packagebuild from java8-openjfx and delete python2 from the list and build the package, than i install miniongg again

Now i can start miniongg and it works as it should
01/30/23, 10:10 AM   #39
elzzid
@hanny00

Did you have python2 installed already perhaps? When I edited the java8-openjfx pkgbuild file to remove the python2 dependency it still gave me an error that seems like it absolutely requires python2. This was on Arch.

-- Found PythonInterp: /home/elzzid/.pyenv/shims/python (found suitable version "3.10.9", minimum required is "2.7.0")
CMake Error at Source/cmake/WebKitCommon.cmake:25 (message):
Python 2 is required, but Python 3 was found.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:147 (include)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/elzzid/.cache/pikaur/build/java8-openjfx/src/rt-8u202-ga/modules/web/build/linux/Release/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* Where:
Build file '/home/elzzid/.cache/pikaur/build/java8-openjfx/src/rt-8u202-ga/build.gradle' line: 2584

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':web:compileNativeLinux'.
> Process 'command 'perl'' finished with non-zero exit value 1
05/12/23, 03:09 AM   #40
Zastrix

Just for new people, you might want to look at this github PR https://github.com/flathub/flathub/pull/4144 it's where I started the post Minion on flathub and just waiting for some information currently. There is a command to install it from the test repository as one of the latest few comments of the PR.

Also, if you're using an Nvidia cards there's no black screen stutters while running Wayland.

I've added access for ~/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam and ~/Games.

You can add ESO from Steam via this path:

Code:
~/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/data/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/306130/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/AddOns
For Lutris I would argue the path is:

Code:
~/Games/the-elder-scrolls-online/drive_c/users/$USER/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/AddOns
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sSaS1Nx.png
Views:	609
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	1558  

Last edited by Zastrix : 05/12/23 at 03:12 AM.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Minion on Linux