05/22/14, 12:02 PM   #1
Lucifer66
More Skill Slots?

I don't know if it's possible, but I wouild just like 10-12 skill slots instead of the 5 there is in the game.
Yeah maybe I'm greedy or maybe you like it the way it is, but I would like to have it more like other games.
I posted this on the ESO forums and got flamed with naplam and magnesium for even daring to ask for a change. Whatever.

I just would like to have access to a few skills that use magika and a few that use stamina and still have room for other skills, like to fill up my soull gems or beef up my armor with out having to stop and change up my weapons or change my skill slots completely. Is that so bad? I swear some people are so obtuse.

Anyways, can someone make this happen please? Hell I'd do it myself if I knew how. I used to script mIRC and have made skins for vlc, gameboy advance, and some other stuff so I'm not totally cluless.
Here is an image I edited to show what I mean it would sorta look like.

Last edited by Lucifer66 : 05/22/14 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added image
05/22/14, 12:12 PM   #2
Shinni
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The game mechanics only allow 2x5 skills to be slotted (when you have unlocked the 2nd weapon slot)
Theoretically you can change the 2nd weapon/skill slots while the first is selected, increasing your max slotted skills to any Nx5.
Wykkyds Outfitter does this.
http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info5...Outfitter.html
HOWEVER (as far as I know) the slots can't be modified while in combat, so you would have to decide for 2 of the N weapon/skill sets before entering the combat.
05/22/14, 12:19 PM   #3
ingeniousclown
The reason you were flamed is because what you're asking for would fundamentally change the WHOLE GAME.

The game was designed, created and balanced around being able to use 5 skills at any given time. Anything that succeeds in doing something like this for ESO would essentially be a hack, exploit, trainer, or whatever the hell else you want to call something bad that ignores the game's rules.

Even if ZOS changed this, it's way more work than simply opening up extra slots. The whole game would have to be completely rebalanced.

So, no, this is not possible, nor should it be.

To answer your question:

Originally Posted by Lucifer66
Is that so bad?
Yes. As a matter of fact, it is.
05/22/14, 12:24 PM   #4
Scavy
ZeniMax has most likely designed it like this to balance the game so that both PC and Game Console players gets the same possibilities.
05/22/14, 12:35 PM   #5
Sephiroth018

Originally Posted by Scavy View Post
ZeniMax has most likely designed it like this to balance the game so that both PC and Game Console players gets the same possibilities.
Maybe that was one reason, but I hope their intention for this was another one: Having 20+ skills on your 8+ bars covering up half or more of your screen when you normally only use/need about 8 of them is not a good idea.
05/22/14, 04:32 PM   #6
Lucifer66
I'm sorry, but I find a lot of these responses a bit hypocritical. All of these addons change gameplay in one way or another adding more things to the game that were not intended or they would not have been in the game in the first place. You have addons that change the quickbar so that you can press a single button to use the function buttons to use up to 12 different potions with a single click. That is defiantly not something that was intened to be able to happen bercause you are supposed to have to set only 1 potion or item individually in a single slot and you can't very well do that in combat. It's really no different than wanting to have the same quick access to a skill and skills have cool downs the same as potions.

So don't try and pull a moral argument here because it doesn't fly. I didn't ask for 20 or 80 skill slots either, just 10. Wykkyds mod let's you store more than 2 set's of weapons and armor plus skill sets. That goes way beyond the game's intended function so where is your purist justification there? So don't get mad at me for wanting 5 more skill slots when you guys make 100's of these things. If you don't want to make it or don't know how that's one thing, but don't make moral arguments because you have already crossed that line a long time ago.

I don't believe it can't be done either because WoW has the same thing with .lua files and they have added skill slots with those 80 skill slots, as I said before I'm not stupid. Look you only have so much magika and so much stamina to use so it's not like you are going to be able to use unlimited skills anyways, I just want to be able to use ones for certain situations much like your potions quickbar and if you really belive that is somehow cheating that you better take that potions quickbar down.

Maybe you guys should rethink what these addons are intended for. Otherwise maybe you should pull them all down because really they are all cheats because none of them were included in the game to begin with.
I didn't ask you to use an addon like this, like any of these addons if you don't like having more than 5 skills
available then don't use the addon.

You should ask yourself, how is this addon going to give another player an advantage over someone else, the answer - not one bit because they can't use anymore skills in one fight than before. You just wouldn't have the magic or stamina.
05/22/14, 04:36 PM   #7
Lucifer66
You know what, just forget that whole thing, I can see you guys don't take requests here. You just shoot them down. I'll work on it myself. I should have just done that in the first place rather than ask for help. When will I learn that places like this don't help anyone.
05/22/14, 04:56 PM   #8
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
lua is just the language used and yes both WoW and ESO use LUA for the UI, so do many other games. It doesn't mean you can do the same things in both games. The game developers control the API addon authors use and that is what is blocking this from happening. There is nothing in the API that would support something like this. Now some one might be able to figure out a way to swap spells/abilities in and out really fast but thats about it.

Also if some one finds a bug or work around that allows this to happen I'd bet ZeniMax would be fairly quick to take away whatever part of the API it is that allowed it. So all that effort would be squashed in a quick patch by ZeniMax.

Last edited by Dolby : 05/22/14 at 05:07 PM.
05/22/14, 05:03 PM   #9
thelegendaryof

Originally Posted by Lucifer66 View Post
You know what, just forget that whole thing, I can see you guys don't take requests here. You just shoot them down. I'll work on it myself. I should have just done that in the first place rather than ask for help. When will I learn that places like this don't help anyone.
Just a friendly advice - try to ask them directly by simply writing an Ingame-Ticket. They'll 99.99% tell you that its forbidden and can lead to a ban as it 's something they didn't intend as it gives you an big advantage over every other player not having it.

Aside from that you'll probably not find a way to do so within the possibilities of the API itself.

And Wy's Outfitter swaps them based on the weapon / armor equipped.
You a) can't equip weapons / switch skills in combat and b) even if you could -
you couldn't swap it as fast as directly having access to 10 keybindings at a fingertip
(for an even slightly skillfull player a few (micro-)-seconds are a big difference - PvP wise).

However - putting that aside - what could be considered legit is if you just display them like in your screenshot above and having to press weaponswitch button with it 's internal cooldown before you can access either one - as in keeping it the same mechanic just displaying both at once. That might be possible.

Last edited by thelegendaryof : 05/22/14 at 05:14 PM.
05/22/14, 05:03 PM   #10
mra4nii
The point of addons is to extend UI functionality using existing instruments, not to change gameplay and grant advantages that would change ingame balance. A good example of this are buffs information. After game release, ZOS disabled in API the possibility of display what buff are on target and on player itself. Because, with FTC, players had advantage over those without it.

Take it in this way: 10 people are working on something and you have 2 great ideas how to improve that something. 1000 working people and you will have 200 ideas.

You can drink 12 potion one after all, but only last will have effect. No change in gameplay.

Putting aside the moral arguments this, is not possible what you're asking for. If it would possible, someone would do such addon just for sake of PoC.
If you want moral arguments, do an effort and search in google. official forum and reddit is full of debates regarding skill bar size.
05/22/14, 05:10 PM   #11
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
<snip>I don't believe it can't be done either because WoW has the same thing with .lua files <snip>
As Dolby said, you are correct in that both use Lua as their scripting language. However, as Dolby also said, just because they use the same scripting language doesn't mean that their APIs are the same. Zenimax has not given us the 'tools' to allow us to create those extra bars. It's not in their API and without it there is no possible way for us to create the bars you are asking for.

As for the whole rant thing, everyone who has been involved in it needs to settle down. See rule 1.
You obviously have absolutely no idea where you are. Our communities are constantly hailed as being some of the best communities out there for helping one another, responding to user requests, generally being actual communities rather than just a bunch of random users on some generic forum.
05/22/14, 05:15 PM   #12
Lucifer66
Originally Posted by Scavy View Post
Really? that is your argument that you are trying to cater to console players here? You do know they can use a mouse and keyboard on their console too right? They also have controllers with more buttons and auto fire and such. People seeking balance have screwed up so many good games.
05/22/14, 05:38 PM   #13
thelegendaryof

It 's like you're trying really hard to find arguments that make your request valid.
Maybe lay back a bit, then come back here and reread everything?

Even if they would hook up an keyboard - they would still have only 5 skills they can access at once,
and they'll still have to press a button to switch them no matter how many keys they have.

It 's rather the other way around - console players will most probably have no way to use any addons after all.

Did you write them an ticket asking if it would be ok for them or not?

Last edited by thelegendaryof : 05/22/14 at 05:43 PM.
05/22/14, 05:56 PM   #14
Lucifer66
Naww, the posts are just coming in with a delay cuz I'm downloading the new patch, sorry. It's a little confusing for me too
05/22/14, 06:04 PM   #15
Lucifer66
OK well let's just end this now. Really you guys just don't want to do this and the ones that are authors are saying they can't do it so it seems pretty futile at this point. I really don't want to make anyone angry, it just sounded like a reasonable request to me. But I made my case and couldn't get anyone to listen so that's that.

I still haven't changed my point of view on the morality of it though, just so you know and if there is a way I'll figure it out.
05/22/14, 06:43 PM   #16
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
05/22/14, 07:05 PM   #17
ingeniousclown
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Have I told you lately that I love you?
05/22/14, 07:11 PM   #18
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Awwww, thank you IC!
05/22/14, 10:10 PM   #19
joshmiller83
AddOn Super User

Premium Member
Talking

Originally Posted by ingeniousclown View Post
Have I told you lately that I love you?
She is awesome isn't she? lol

Great Emote! Fits here so well! lol
05/22/14, 10:28 PM   #20
SpecialK
It can't be done with out hacking the game (modifying the client) somehow.

Some of us have looked at the layout. It's setup in a specific way so you have your
5x slots and then your quickslots (usually for potions), etc.

The lowest level layer we have access to from the Lua API are client binds.
See these: Slot API
The method there to set the ability slots is "SlotSkillAbilityInSlot()".
You can indeed use it to place your abilities into the usual slots but it will not allow you to set anything
outside of that legal range.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » More Skill Slots?