12/02/19, 12:22 PM   #1
Lenox
Question Dark Mode - Maps & Books

Is there an addon that turns the bright, cream-color of the world map and books to a darker color? Maybe brown? Or even that dark grey / black marble color (like some books)?

To add some context, I find that my eyes sometimes hurt with how bright the world map and books are. I have altered in-game gamma as well as my monitor, but that has not produced the desired results.

Last edited by Lenox : 12/02/19 at 12:29 PM.
12/02/19, 12:45 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Afaik there is not existing such an addon as the map is created by several textures which you'd need to somehow alter in their gamma.

Maybe there is a way to achieve this without having to extract ALL .dds map textures and send them through a graphics program (e.g. lower the alpha of the lua texture control holding the graphic or making it more dark by changing it's color from default to something more black/gray).
12/02/19, 12:48 PM   #3
Lenox
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Afaik there is not existing such an addon as the map is created by several textures which you'd need to somehow alter in their gamma.

Maybe there is a way to achieve this without having to extract ALL .dds map textures and send them through a graphics program (e.g. lower the alpha of the lua texture control holding the graphic or making it more dark by changing it's color from default to something more black/gray).
That sounds fairly complex!
12/02/19, 01:02 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Yes.
e.g. the map of Deshaan is split into several texture files, loaded into lua texture controls, combined to an overlaying "texture map" (afaik), which updates on movements as well, it would be pretty hard to do somehting with ALL the texture controls.

Maybe another dev who has more experience with maps, can help to answer if there is another "easier" way.
12/02/19, 01:19 PM   #5
Lenox
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Yes.
e.g. the map of Deshaan is split into several texture files, loaded into lua texture controls, combined to an overlaying "texture map" (afaik), which updates on movements as well, it would be pretty hard to do somehting with ALL the texture controls.

Maybe another dev who has more experience with maps, can help to answer if there is another "easier" way.
OK. Cool. I'm sure I could look it up, but I don't even know what "lua" is. Although I have seen it in addon errors.
12/02/19, 01:22 PM   #6
Rhyono
What about the super lazy option of adding an overlay to the minimap that is a semi-transparent black square? It would dim pins too and probably wouldn't look amazing, but it would be less bright.
12/02/19, 01:27 PM   #7
Lenox
Originally Posted by Rhyono View Post
What about the super lazy option of adding an overlay to the minimap that is a semi-transparent black square? It would dim pins too and probably wouldn't look amazing, but it would be less bright.
I would be willing to try this.
12/11/19, 11:37 PM   #8
Phuein

Code:
TEXTURE:SetColor(r, g, b, a)
As far as I recall works in a limited fashion. Can also modify game textures and include them with an addon, to load them.
12/12/19, 10:53 AM   #9
Lenox
Originally Posted by Phuein View Post
Code:
TEXTURE:SetColor(r, g, b, a)
As far as I recall works in a limited fashion. Can also modify game textures and include them with an addon, to load them.
Thanks for the reply.
  1. What do I do with your code?
  2. How do I modify game textures?
  3. How do I include them in an addon?
  4. How do I load them?
12/13/19, 12:23 AM   #10
Phuein

Sure thing. Feel free to contact me in PM here to discuss any request and compensation.
12/13/19, 02:11 PM   #11
Lenox
Originally Posted by Phuein View Post
Sure thing. Feel free to contact me in PM here to discuss any request and compensation.
Hah. I will PM you.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Dark Mode - Maps & Books