09/28/22, 06:03 AM   #1
Baene

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Displaying text above custom compass pins

Greetings,

I am having a hell of a time tying to get text to display above my custom compass pins. I have found the ZO_CompassCenterOverPinLabel label, and have, with some fiddling gotten it to display some text, but only by directly setting the text of the label. This obviously causes it to constantly display. I've then tried to figure out a way to manually determine when to display the text for a given pin, but its not very straight forward with how pins are updated.

Has anyone been able to accomplish this as of yet? I found a very old (2014) thread where someone attempted to get it working right, but was unable to. Haven't been able to find anything beyond that currently in my searching. Is this just something that isn't possible?
09/28/22, 08:02 AM   #2
sirinsidiator

Looking at the code for the compass, it seems to be doable, but not in a way that an addon should implement directly.
Unless the CustomCompassPin library provides that functionality, I'd say it's currently impossible.
09/28/22, 08:37 AM   #3
Baene

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
Looking at the code for the compass, it seems to be doable, but not in a way that an addon should implement directly.
Unless the CustomCompassPin library provides that functionality, I'd say it's currently impossible.
Yeah, that was what it seemed like to me as well. CustomCompassPin does not seem to support it.
10/10/22, 01:18 AM   #4
MrPikPik
Lost Treasure does text for its treasure/survey map location pins.

If you wanna check out how they've done it, see LostTreasure_Pins.lua in function LostTreasure:Initialize at lines 131 to 152

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Displaying text above custom compass pins