09/07/15, 01:08 PM   #1
merlight
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
issues with GetJournalQuestRewardInfo - item quality

I wrote a little add-on that adds the list of quest rewards below tasks in quest journal, in the same way they're shown in the final dialogue with NPC (except tooltips don't work outside the dialog, but that's unrelated).

Quite often the item quality returned by GetJournalQuestRewardInfo is NORMAL, i.e. white, even though the item is supposed to be green or blue quality. Saw this happen with Craglorn quests, Main quest, side quests, doesn't matter. At first I thought it was a bug in the add-on, or that the item quality wasn't available outside the dialogue as well. But when I talk to the NPC, the item title and tooltip still show white quality.

Now the weirdest part -- it appears to be random. I have a few unfinished quests, and sometimes they show white reward, sometimes green/blue (if it's not white, it's the correct color). Right now I have unfinished Castle of the Worm and Long Lost Lore, they both show white rewards. Teleport to Cyrodiil, they're blue. Teleport back to Daggerfall, they're white.

Journal (add-on) in Cyrodiil

Journal (add-on) in Daggerfall

Talking to Valaste
09/11/15, 10:26 AM   #2
t31os
Maybe it's an issue rendering the text with colour, do the stats change inline with the item's rarity or do they remain the same?
09/11/15, 10:41 AM   #3
merlight
I can't view the stats unless talking to Valaste, so there's no way to compare. I'm going to finish the quest and see what quality I get.

But the Arcane trait giving 290 is definitely not blue quality. I have blue lv20 Signet of the Worm that gives 290, blue lv25 Thespian's Ring that gives 330.
09/15/15, 10:32 AM   #4
merlight
Not a display issue. I finished the quest Long Lost Lore and got lv30 white necklace (with arcane trait 50 magicka weaker than blue lv30 quest reward rings). I started the next quest, Simply Misplaced, and the quest reward link in journal is white in Daggerfall, blue in Stormhaven. The issue lies within the zone. It seems anywhere else (even in Harborage), reward links have the correct quality color.

edit: Simply Misplaced ended in Stormhaven, and I got a proper blue lv30 ring.

Last edited by merlight : 09/15/15 at 11:09 AM.
09/15/15, 03:36 PM   #5
ZOS_ChipHilseberg
ZOS Staff!
Premium Member
Yes this person is from ZeniMax!
The issue here is that the quest reward quality depends on the zone in which it is completed. So when you are in a different zone and call this function, the quality is off. There exists data about what zone the quest starts in, so we could expose two new functions. One to get the quest's zone and one to get the reward info based on that zone. This won't work for quests that end in a different zone than they start in, but it's the best data we have right now.
09/15/15, 03:54 PM   #6
merlight
Well, the problem is Long Lost Lore starts and ends in Daggerfall Mages Guild, yet the reward I got was white (but showed blue when queried from any other zone). IIRC this was the 4th character I've done that quest with, and The Amulet of Eyevea was previously always blue.

edit: Simply Misplaced showed white reward in Daggerfall (where it started; more precisely, I think it's given by Shalidor in front of any Mages Guild, but I just happened to walk out of Daggerfall Mages Guild so took it there), and blue reward in Stormhaven (where it ended) -- and I got blue reward.

Last edited by merlight : 09/15/15 at 03:58 PM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » issues with GetJournalQuestRewardInfo - item quality