09/15/15, 12:29 PM   #1
Ayantir

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[outdated] Be warned when you'll use our ideas in your core game

Your first reaction when your addon or your feature will be integrated will be ... Yeah !!!!!!! That's me, that's me !!! Finally, they did it

The second will be .. I DID IT BETTER THAN YOU !!! ZOS, newbs !

Then it will maybe be .. Hey.. but .. that's the copy paste of MY work !!!

And finally, it could become a WTF ? they said "Major feature" .. MY addon ?! 2500 crown per gamer .. How many ... 200k customers * 2500 .. . for what .. "New features" ?!! .. This is the only single .. feature .. in that DLC ?! Can't believe it..

/pissedoff
/lawyer

*facepalm after 6 months wasted with Bethesda Lawyers team for nothing*

So please, if a day, yes, someday your boss, or you, the boss who read this will make the decision that our work or something .. a bit.. or ~ inspired will be pushed into the game because your customers want this feature and your company just decided it will be more profitable for you to spend time on this than let the volunteers do the thing, please leave a message, at least a private, at least one ingame.

Thank you.

Is there any WoW addons author stories somewhere about this subject ?

09/15/15, 09:28 PM   #2
Ravalox Darkshire
Ravalox of Lake Superior

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Ayantir View Post
Your first reaction when your addon or your feature will be integrated will be ... Yeah !!!!!!! That's me, that's me !!! Finally, they did it

The second will be .. I DID IT BETTER THAN YOU !!! ZOS, newbs !

Then it will maybe be .. Hey.. but .. that's the copy paste of MY work !!!

And finally, it could become a WTF ? they said "Major feature" .. MY addon ?! 2500 crown per gamer .. How many ... 200k customers * 2500 .. . for what .. "New features" ?!! .. This is the only single .. feature .. in that DLC ?! Can't believe it..

/pissedoff
/lawyer

*facepalm after 6 months wasted with Bethesda Lawyers team for nothing*

So please, if a day, yes, someday your boss, or you, the boss who read this will make the decision that our work or something .. a bit.. or ~ inspired will be pushed into the game because your customers want this feature and your company just decided it will be more profitable for you to spend time on this than let the volunteers do the thing, please leave a message, at least a private, at least one ingame.

Thank you.

Is there any WoW addons author stories somewhere about this subject ?
I had a conversation with Matt Fior and Richard Lambert during Quakecon on this very topic. They said that they are looking to incorporate some of the addons into the game, and one of us has already been approached and has agreed to the terms (whatever they were).

ZOS has indicated to me that they will reach out prior to moving to incorporate any addon code.

Ravalox

09/16/15, 01:56 AM   #3
Jizargo
I bet it was minimaps creator and the Destinations creator.

09/16/15, 03:39 AM   #4
t31os
Is this a hypothetical scenario or a real one that has occurred recently?

Did they use someone's addon code without informing them? Is that what you're saying?

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Wish List » [outdated] Be warned when you'll use our ideas in your core game