04/23/14, 11:04 PM   #1
LilBudyWizer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Client crashing bugs

My client is crashing periodically and I suspect it's addons causing it. Since you can't save anything through a crash it's rather hard to say for certain. An addon should never be able to crash the client. And in a perfect would I assume no quests would be broken either. While testing an addon I crashed the client so found it's certainly possible. So I thought a thread of things developers have encountered that will crash the client might be a good idea.

My mistake was infinite recursion. It's a rather hard one to slip through since it locks up the client as well. While tracking it down I most often had to kill the client since it locked up, but, occasionally, the client crashed first. The source of my recursion was accidently using an API function name for a function that actually called that API function.

It certainly highlighted an error in my coding style that allowed that to happen. I should have stuck all the local functions in a local global. It would certainly make it clearer in the code whether I'm calling a function my addon versus the API. It would let me share those functions between files as well call forward on local functions. With 2K lines it's a bit late for this addon.
04/30/14, 03:28 PM   #2
katkat42
I've mostly managed to freeze the client, not crash it outright, and that was by calling functions from the vanilla API that were never meant to be called like I was doing.

(I also managed to run the UI out of memory once, but I can't remember now how I did it. I think it involved infinite recursion.)
05/01/14, 12:28 PM   #3
pjt15253
Spam Warrior

Premium Member
I can consistently hard-crash the client with string.find("", "[aàáâäAÀÁÂÄ][aàáâäAÀÁÂÄ][aàáâäAÀÁÂÄ][aàáâäAÀÁÂÄ]"). Same with string.match, string.gmatch, and string.gsub. Generally if you stay away from non-ascii characters you're ok - but there's definitely a bug in the Lua pattern matching functions.
09/11/14, 03:25 PM   #4
sirinsidiator

I recently fixed a crash in AwesomeGuildStore. Because of that I tried to run every method in the global object with several different "invalid" arguments today and had quite a number of crashes.
I have not tried any methods in tables or userdata yet, but will probably do someday.
  • FormatAchievementLinkTimestamp crashes when called with a negative number
  • GetTradingHouseSearchResultItemInfo, GetTradingHouseSearchResultItemLink and SelectTitle crash when called with an invalid index
  • ZO_DeepTableCopy turns into an infinite loop when passed a table that contains a reference to itself
  • Many functions that expect a control element crash when they get empty/invalid userdata instead.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Client crashing bugs