04/19/15, 01:54 PM   #1
Arkadius
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Questions about LibGuildHistory

Hi folks

I've recently written a small addon that reads and stores general and bank events from guild histories. I know, LibGuildHistory was written for this purpose and to ensure compatibility between such addons.

Now, i decided to NOT use this lib because it doesn't offer the possibility to just return events newer than X. It always reads and returns ALL data from a given category. Considering general guild events go back 6 months, it will always take several minutes to read 5 full guilds (at a scan interval of 6 seconds to prevent server spam, if addons like Shopkeeper or Master Merchant are installed)

I've contacted mattmillus, the author of the lib, and asked him if he could extend the lib by such a feature, but I don't really expect an answer as it looks like he's quite inactive.

So, I thought about taking the code of the lib, extending it, and releasing it under something like "LibGuildHistoryExtended". But before going this step, I'd like to know a few things before:

1. Am I allowed to do this at all? Without the permission of the author? As far as I know, I'm not allowed to redistribute a modified version of the lib. But what about a redistribution under a new name (but with giving credit ofc)?

2. I know, Shopkeeper uses the lib while Master Merchant doesnt (those two addons are the only ones I know that read guild (sales) histories). So this question is more directed to Deome and Philgo68. Would you consider using this extended lib? I mean, there's no point for a compatibility lib, if addons aren't using it, right?

Edit:
I also want to note that there's a bug in the current implementation, that makes the lib unreliable when 2 or more addons use the same category.

Thanks for reading!
Arkadius

Last edited by Arkadius : 04/19/15 at 04:40 PM.
04/20/15, 01:06 AM   #2
Sasky
Copying code to a new addon would similarly be a modification. Without the author replying back you can't use it and would have to write it from scratch.

However, at least by the license in the file both Mattmillus and Deome have the copyright so either one could grant permission.
04/22/15, 10:20 AM   #3
dopiate
Some Background

I can shed a little light on this discussion. I will not add opinions just facts.

Deome's Shopkeeper uses LibGuildHistory

Shopkeeper (which I maintained and is still online) is what Master Merchant is based on.

Philco68 didn't go with the LibGuildHistory version because (exact quote from forums) ...

"I can't say I've looked too deeply into the GuildLibHistory library, but it seems like it doesn't return information until it's brought all the guild history in from the server, while the scanning MM, and SK before it do, is as shallow as possible to return an offline sales report ASAP to the user on login."

Which is also the reason I did not go with it when I fixed and updated Shopkeeper.

I believe Deome is re-writing LibGuildHistory right now. You would have to check with him. I wouldn't make any changes to the old version if he intends to switch to a newer version.

One thing being overlooked are these two well written Libs

JMTradingHouseSnapshot
JMGuildSaleHistoryTracker

Have a look at the code - it's quite good and if everyone were to use these or modified version of these (as some features may be missing) there would not be constant "conflicts" as we have now.

I also want to note that there's a bug in the current implementation, that makes the lib unreliable when 2 or more addons use the same category.
Yes and it creates a ton of debug spam blaming any other addon that tries to get history. I didn't like this debug message, I felt it was poorly worded and tbh it was a bit insulting. (ok that was a bit of opinion).

-d

Last edited by dopiate : 04/22/15 at 10:23 AM.
05/06/15, 01:15 AM   #4
Deome

Thumbs up

Dopiate has a good summary of the history of this troubled library.

The short of it is that, yes, it needs a new iteration. I plan to write one for DD 2.0, either an update or from scratch, and completely welcome collaboration with other folks; the entire purpose behind the original that Millus and I wrote was to allow addons like DataDaedra, Shopkeeper, and later Master Merchant, to work together. Folks demand it, and at the time I let Matt Millus publish it because I was lax about controls and just wanted it out there.

It's in dire need of a rewrite, and I'm willing to work with anyone on that. I really want a library that we can all use to escape the spamkick.

I don't have control over the library's page (though perhaps an admin could transfer it to me, with Millus apparently gone), but if I publish a 2.0, I'm completely willing to add anyone to the team. And if you can write a better version, by all means, you have my blessing.

Oh, and sorry for the absence/late reply. Been dealing with RL for the past few weeks.

Last edited by Deome : 05/06/15 at 01:17 AM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Questions about LibGuildHistory