06/20/21, 05:00 AM   #1
Psyphi
Above Head/Health Taunt Timer

I am hoping someone is aware of an addon that places a taunt timer above the base games enemy health bars.

I am a veteran DPS recently swapped to tanking. When it comes to tracking taunts every addon I have used or considered using I regard as useless. Taunt timers that are on your crosshair and only work for your focused target might as well not exist, any target buff tracker can provide the same purpose and with similar player performance. Cooldown windows on the screen do not offer quick and understandable tracking of taunts, especially as the enemy count increases. I imagine in my head a simple taunt countdown floating above enemies heads. Similar to Untaunted's enemy markers.

Taunting multiple enemies and maintaining track is a chore in ESO. Considering in this game great tanking is being a buff b!tch, and possibly a lead, I figured such an addon would free up much focus when pulling mobs and taunting.
06/20/21, 06:38 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You cannot do this as the positions of enemies cannot be obtained via addons.
Only grouped player positions are usable via the addon API.

All you can get is lists of taunt timers and the names of the units that you have taunted. If they are the same name, you need to organize it in your brain
You can be lucky if the taunt timer "only" shows at your corosshair for the particular enemy, if you move the mouse over it.
Or like Untaunded does: Show a frame around the currently focused enemy.

But addons got no way to add something to the targeted enemy "box", especially not on if they move.
All they can do is add something like a buff tracker on the enemy buffs that are shown if you focus the enemy/select it as target.

Last edited by Baertram : 06/20/21 at 06:45 AM.
06/20/21, 06:51 AM   #3
Psyphi
May I ask how Untaunted manages to place an in-combat marker above enemies heads?

*I am a noob with addon development. My knowledge goes as far as deleting stuff in lua files til something breaks
Here is a reference to the Untaunted combat indicators mentioned in the original post and this reply:
https://imgur.com/mHZFTQp

Last edited by Psyphi : 06/20/21 at 07:17 AM.
06/20/21, 07:35 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I did not know it is able to do that, the description and screenshots does not tell anything about this.
But checking the code it re-uses an existing map_pin_type_aggro and just sets a new texture to it. So it reuses vanila UI code and just adds a new texture:
Code:
SetFloatingMarkerInfo(MAP_PIN_TYPE_AGGRO, size, "Untaunted/textures/redarrow.dds")
	SetFloatingMarkerGlobalAlpha(1)
And as the code is not able to tell us where the enemy is, just adds/overwrites the texture, and as we cannot dynamically create a texture with a cooldown timer counting down , I guess we still are not able to do something like your request then

Last edited by Baertram : 06/20/21 at 09:43 AM.
06/20/21, 07:54 AM   #5
Psyphi
big sadge.

Thanks for the responses! Appreciate the insight.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Above Head/Health Taunt Timer