07/07/20, 07:33 PM   #1
Wulfrun
skyshards: LibChatMessage broke LibGPS

I just tried to get skyshards running and after loading LibChatMessage LibGPS crashes. If I remove LibShatMessage the error goes away; but skyshards does not work. This error is really bad, I loose control of my game and have to kill it and restart.

Checking type on argument stringToSplit failed in SplitString_lua
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'SplitString'
user:/AddOns/LibGPS/Measurement.lua:135: in function 'Measurementeserialize'

I have downloaded skyshards and the six required libs twice in the last 40 min.
Am I the only one and is there something else that is causing this?

happy trails
07/08/20, 04:17 AM   #2
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Wulfrun View Post
If I remove LibShatMessage the error goes away
The error has nothing to do with LibChatMessage. It's simply when you disable it you disable LibGPS too, because it requires LibChatMessage to be loaded.

Can you please send me your LibDebugLogger.lua and LibGPS.lua saved variables so I can take a closer look at what happens? Afterwards try to delete the LibGPS.lua saved variable while the game is closed. It should at least be able to start again then, but no guarantees that it won't happen again in the future until I can fix it.
07/08/20, 05:11 AM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Dependencies (why LibGPS was disabled after LibChatMessage was disabled):
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9149

Reporting the error -> Sending LibDebugLogger SavedVariables file:
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8858
07/09/20, 09:41 AM   #4
Wulfrun
thanks for the replies. Last night I removed everything in my live/addons folder. I was seeing more than normal strange game play behavior. Then played a while and all was typical for play-ability. Then I re-downloaded every addon or lib I put into the live folder. I then had no errors.

**** this forums advertising makes my screen jump up and down every 5-10 sec and I can't track my typing.

I notice that I have many libs in different places some with the same name but not the same version. This is likely due to the desire/need to run out of date addons. Having many libs with the same name in different places with different versions sounds bad.

Anyway my Skyshards now runs and I appreciate your work.
thank you
07/09/20, 10:45 AM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
No this is becasue some addon devs had included/Still include libraries in the addon's subfolders like /libs, which get outdated after a while.
If they are properly included with an own txt file AND you are able to download the same library from esoui as stand alone lib to your AddOns dir (just like an addon, via Minion e.g.): Remove the libs from subfolders where there is NO own library's txt file!
This will stop them from being called, if they are old e.g. and the games will load the libs from the txt files in the AddOns/<library>/<library>.txt file).

Attention:
The addons where you remove libs got their own txt files like AddonName1.txt.
Check if inside is a line ##DependsOn: <libraryNameYouJustDeletedInTheSubfolder>
If not: Add one so it will make the addon depend on it properly.

And maybe tell the devs of these addons to PLEASE include the libraries completely with their own txt files OR to strip them from the addon's subfolders like you did, in order to make all work properly together.

If the library is not found on esoui.com then keep it inside the subfolder as there exists some libs which are not released to the public but shipped with the addons somehow. Imo this is no real lib then, and could be handled differently (released on www.esoui.com e.g. properly) but that's up to the devs of these libs. Maybe some are old and not supported anymore.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » skyshards: LibChatMessage broke LibGPS