01/15/16, 08:32 PM   #1
camknox
Idle Timeout

Has anyone thought of making an add-on that could do something as simple as casting a spell every 5 minutes to keep a game session alive?

Would be great to be able to toggle the add-on and then leave the PC for a few hours and be able to come back and not have to re-login.
01/16/16, 03:10 AM   #2
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thought of? Yes. Made? Maybe.

Do you know why there is such a thing as an idle timeout in the first place?
It's to keep traffic down. A player that does not play still needs to send and receive data from the server.
If every player stayed connected all the time, there is no way the server can handle it, even with the best internet connection available.

That being said, we addon authors try to improve the game for our own benefit and that of others. If something like an anti idle addon where to be made and became widely popular, ZOS would be forced to do something against it and either ask us to take it down, or lock the UI in some way, as it would threaten the continued service of the game.
01/17/16, 06:44 AM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Being afk for "some hours" will raise your energy consumption as your GPU will need more power compared to "closing the game" for some hours.
Maybe you can do something for your environment and just close the game if you are away, which will help you save energy and help us getting less lags.
Thank you
01/18/16, 04:27 AM   #4
coolmodi
Or just build something out of lego. The lego BG anti-afk bot was pretty nice to have back in WoW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVOnqEas3bs

Edit: Why can't I post links to youtube?

And why is my edit a link that doesn nothing?
01/20/16, 07:16 PM   #5
BigMons

I think this would require a third-party app to interact with the game client, which would be against the rules afaik since it would need to simulate input. Personally, I've never found logging in to be such a PITA that I needed to prevent myself from getting kicked when being away for hours at a time. The only time the idle timeout bugs me is when I'm reading something on my second screen and get kicked, or if I'm at the keyboard but eating and get kicked. That annoys me. Otherwise, I exit the game. It takes me maybe a minute to get logged back in and enter the world.
07/28/17, 11:54 AM   #6
Octopuss

Is this still not possible?
The timeout is especially painful in character creation.
07/28/17, 12:33 PM   #7
Rhyono
I was force logged out in character creation more than once. Addons aren't active until you're in game. So we can't make an addon that affects character creation.
07/29/17, 06:06 AM   #8
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Smartphone -> Timer -> If it rings -> Go on and hurry up :-)

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Idle Timeout