05/29/15, 09:38 PM   #1
hoydyd
Question regarding getchildren()

Hi

I recently began learning lua and how to create addons, and have been having trouble with handling children of a ui element. I am trying to call a function on the children of ZO_CompassFrame, and rather than individually calling a function on each child, i thought i would do so through a for loop ( for k,v in pairs(ZO_CompassFrame:getchildren()) do v:function() ). I can use values from a list of numbers such as getdimensions(), however when trying to get the list of children through getchildren(), the game gives the 'expected function instead of nil stack traceback' error. I believe it is something to do with the list containing objects(?), as lists containing strings and integers etc work fine. I am new to lua, so am i just missing something?

Thanks
05/30/15, 02:19 AM   #2
votan

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by hoydyd View Post
Hi

I recently began learning lua and how to create addons, and have been having trouble with handling children of a ui element. I am trying to call a function on the children of ZO_CompassFrame, and rather than individually calling a function on each child, i thought i would do so through a for loop ( for k,v in pairs(ZO_CompassFrame:getchildren()) do v:function() ). I can use values from a list of numbers such as getdimensions(), however when trying to get the list of children through getchildren(), the game gives the 'expected function instead of nil stack traceback' error. I believe it is something to do with the list containing objects(?), as lists containing strings and integers etc work fine. I am new to lua, so am i just missing something?

Thanks
Common to all controls is just GetNumChildren() and GetChild(index)
So, the code from above should be:
Lua Code:
  1. for index = 1, ZO_CompassFrame:GetNumChildren() do
  2.   ZO_CompassFrame:GetChild(index):function()
  3. end

You may take a look to Ayantir's super collection of Dev Tools to see available functions.
05/30/15, 03:39 AM   #3
hoydyd
Originally Posted by votan View Post
Common to all controls is just GetNumChildren() and GetChild(index)
So, the code from above should be:
Lua Code:
  1. for index = 1, ZO_CompassFrame:GetNumChildren() do
  2.   ZO_CompassFrame:GetChild(index):function()
  3. end

You may take a look to Ayantir's super collection of Dev Tools to see available functions.
Thank you very much!

Just out of curiosity, why is it that the method i was trying to do doesn't work? Is it due to the way the game API works?
05/30/15, 04:11 AM   #4
votan

Thank you very much!

Just out of curiosity, why is it that the method i was trying to do doesn't work? Is it due to the way the game API works?
Yes. ZO_CompassFrame does not have GetChildren().
ZO_SceneGraphNode and ZO_TreeNode are the only "classes" having such a member. (As far as I could see)
05/30/15, 03:30 PM   #5
hoydyd
Originally Posted by votan View Post
Yes. ZO_CompassFrame does not have GetChildren().
ZO_SceneGraphNode and ZO_TreeNode are the only "classes" having such a member. (As far as I could see)
Oh, Zgoo had it listed as a function under ZO_CompassFrame. Atleast I can use the other method you described. Thank you for your help votan
05/30/15, 03:56 PM   #6
votan

Oh, Zgoo had it listed as a function under ZO_CompassFrame. Atleast I can use the other method you described. Thank you for your help votan
GetChildren is introduced by zgoo after using it
Not fair from zgoo

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Question regarding getchildren()