06/30/14, 05:31 AM   #1
Brandalf

Where to get started for a Lua/XML newbie

I have done a couple of the tutorials on the esoui wiki but overall I don't feel like they are teaching me as much as I'm just along for the ride. Is there any kind of useful resources out there for someone like me who has limited Lua/XML knowledge? But has some basic knowledge of HTML/CSS and slightly less knowledge of Python/JavaScript? Maybe something along the lines of learning python the hard way? Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to provide
06/30/14, 07:00 AM   #2
zgrssd
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Brandalf View Post
I have done a couple of the tutorials on the esoui wiki but overall I don't feel like they are teaching me as much as I'm just along for the ride. Is there any kind of useful resources out there for someone like me who has limited Lua/XML knowledge? But has some basic knowledge of HTML/CSS and slightly less knowledge of Python/JavaScript? Maybe something along the lines of learning python the hard way? Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to provide
When searching for specifci things, I often land in this Toutorial:
http://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html

Way back (2-3 months) I wrote this introduction into Lua for fellow programmers. Most of the missing information has been worked into the wiki by now:
forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/98053/short-guide-to-addon-programming

But especially the hints on just how global global is in lua stays valid.
06/30/14, 09:15 AM   #3
farangkao

Check out ZBS ,it has some easy lessons for LUA Beginners (not ESO related)

Link in my Signature.
06/30/14, 06:58 PM   #4
katkat42
My favorite way to learn is to read other people's code. Find a fairly simple add-on, or one that seems to do something interesting to you, or one that does something similar to what you want to do. I also strongly recommend the Zgoo add-on to see the environment in which you will be developing.
07/01/14, 01:16 AM   #5
Brandalf

Thanks for the insight and links everyone. I will look into all of this

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Where to get started for a Lua/XML newbie