11/29/22, 11:50 PM   #1
McAfee
Lightbulb [Request]Bigger text chat limit.

While ESO's chat text limit is a decent size, it is not accomodating to lengthier conversations or roleplay dialogue. I'm requesting an addon that would make it so you could type longer messages without having to manually separate them (be it with --, ++, or any other combination there-of).

It is to my understanding that ESO addons cannot automatically send messages, but there would be equally as easy ways to achieve what I am suggesting. Two of which I will explain:

1. A new input box is opened by either a button somewhere in the UI or a hotkey (Tab-Enter for example). The player then may enter their desired lengthy message into the chatbox which is then automatically entered into the message input area each time they press enter (appended by '--' or similar) until the whole message is sent. In my opinion, the addon would work best with this method.

2. The default chat input area is extended. You will be able to type out any length of message and the message will then be split up by the addon and automatically refill the chatbox with the continued message until it is completed after pressing send.

For reference, WoW has a similar addon. Though, theirs is capable of automatically sending the whole separated message without any extra effort.
https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addon...tedchatmessage
11/30/22, 01:57 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm not sure if I remember that correctly but have a look at the TOM messenger addon, I think it got something toa chieve this already.
Else maybe ask the dev to add something like you have requested at the addon's commetns because this is the addon that comes closest to your request, providing an own UI, without having to rebuild a lot of the vanilla UI and chat text box, making other addons incomatible again

Last edited by Baertram : 12/06/22 at 08:05 AM.
12/05/22, 10:57 PM   #3
Shadowfen
The line length for chat is a fixed size that is below the level that an addon can modify. That is why extra long chat messages would get truncated in pChat/rChat because those addons insert additional stuff in the chat line depending on settings causing the modified message to exceed the fixed line length.

A popup text box could accept a larger length of text, but then it would have to pass it in to the chat window in line-length chunks and require the user to hit enter at the end of each chunk.
12/05/22, 11:29 PM   #4
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
@Shadowfen - That's sort of how the one for World of Warcraft works. It just expands the text box as you reach certain limits. And then it splits them up for you to send them individually.
What's nice about WoW, is we only have to push Enter once and it sends the whole message, just in split up messages. I assume with ESO, we'd have to press Enter for each separation.
12/06/22, 08:08 AM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
What's nice about WoW, is we only have to push Enter once and it sends the whole message, just in split up messages. I assume with ESO, we'd have to press Enter for each separation.
Yes, exactly.
I remember an addon somehow doing this but not sure what it was about...
Maybe some kind of "my build" string I think, to share it to other users with the same addon.

The "idea" with the split up chat text should be possible in theory IF the server is not interfering as you press return too often, sending chat messages in a short time. Depends on the total text length and the server's current state/load + other enabled addons quering the server I guess

Having said that: I'm currently not able to work on such addon sorry, my given time is, as always around year end, very very limited (hardly able to play ESO :-( ).

I wish you the best and try out TOM! Maybe it already provides that or P5ych3 would be interested into adding such functionality for Roleplaying:
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...er-Reborn.html
Ask him
I think TOM - Catacombs is that saved messages which you can send later already! Maybe not with the desired total length, but perhaps it's adjustable and the multi-return-key-sending could be added.

CATACOMBS

• Self-prepared messages for roleplay or trade (Catacombs). [FIXED!]
• Save custom messages that you can use later. [FIXED!]
• Send saved messages to a target player. [FIXED!]
• Copy saved messages to the 'Guild Functions' window. [FIXED!]
• Copy saved messages to chat. [FIXED!]
• 50 pages of custom messages can be saved, 15 per page (750 total)! [FIXED!]

Last edited by Baertram : 12/06/22 at 08:14 AM.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » [Request]Bigger text chat limit.