06/24/14, 06:28 PM   #1
skyraker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
New API on live. EULA notice

The update today did update the API. Along with that, there is now an ADDON END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT. The main reason I post this is because it is requiring addon developers to add a disclosure statement to a README or similar txt file.
06/24/14, 06:46 PM   #2
skyraker
Stupid me, I forgot to copy/paste the message you are required to add before agreeing to the EULA. Now cannot access it. Anyone get it down so we all have it?
06/24/14, 06:52 PM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
"This Add-on is not created by, affiliated with or sponsored by ZeniMax Media Inc. or its affiliates. The Elder Scrolls® and related logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of ZeniMax Media Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. All rights reserved."
06/24/14, 06:56 PM   #4
skyraker
Thanks!

Also, game forums blowing up because all settings got reset after the patch.
06/24/14, 06:59 PM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yup. /sigh
06/24/14, 09:01 PM   #6
Tonyleila

So its now possible to add readmes as txt file without the txt file showing up in the addon list???
skyraker already uploaded his addon with readme.txt files in it...?!

If its still like it was before then please hint this in the first post because else everyone will again start adding readme.txt to the addons -_-

Last edited by Tonyleila : 06/24/14 at 09:06 PM.
06/24/14, 09:08 PM   #7
Sasky
Put as README (no extension) or README.md
06/24/14, 09:28 PM   #8
Tonyleila

Originally Posted by Sasky View Post
Put as README (no extension) or README.md
Also .rtf is good. It can be opened by default with windows and mac text programms!
06/25/14, 12:03 AM   #9
skyraker
That was my fault. I'm going to fix that shortly. Was kind of rushing earlier.
06/25/14, 04:58 AM   #10
sirinsidiator

I just put it into the addon txt file between all the commands and the file list like this:

Code:
## APIVersion: 100007
##
## This Add-on is not created by, affiliated with or sponsored by ZeniMax Media Inc. or its affiliates. 
## The Elder Scrolls® and related logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of ZeniMax Media Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. 
## All rights reserved
##
## You can read the full terms at https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/add-on-terms

StartUp.lua
Is this okay or am I missing something?
06/25/14, 05:03 AM   #11
Garkin

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
I just put it into the addon txt file between all the commands and the file list like this:

Code:
## APIVersion: 100007
##
## This Add-on is not created by, affiliated with or sponsored by ZeniMax Media Inc. or its affiliates. 
## The Elder Scrolls® and related logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of ZeniMax Media Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. 
## All rights reserved
##
## You can read the full terms at https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/add-on-terms

StartUp.lua
Is this okay or am I missing something?
This looks as a good idea, I will add it to the addon manifest too:
Code:
; This Add-on is not created by, affiliated with or sponsored by ZeniMax
; Media Inc. or its affiliates. The Elder Scrolls® and related logos are
; registered trademarks or trademarks of ZeniMax Media Inc. in the United
; States and/or other countries. All rights reserved.

## Title: |cFFFFB0LoreBooks|r 1.3 - By |c00C000Garkin|r
06/25/14, 03:09 PM   #12
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
Rofl, oops .. didn't get to this post before creating that readme file they suggested .. rofl. Oh well, I have updated the addon itself yet so guess I'll do that if it works .. wasn't sure if it was possible to put plain text in the main addon txt file.

edit:
It might also help if I didn't have the pts folder list open in my editor and not the live one *slaps head*.

Last edited by Xrystal : 06/25/14 at 03:14 PM.
06/25/14, 03:17 PM   #13
SkOODaT

If we didnt want to put this into a text file or addon or readme would it be ok if it was on the addons main download page? or is it absolutely required within the addon? i would think as long as the end user saw the disclaimer somewhere b4 they actually used the addon.......

wondering if anyone knows, can prolly answer my own question by saying yes its required within the addon but doesnt hurt to ask
06/25/14, 03:27 PM   #14
CrazyDutchGuy

It should be contained in the addon folder, as there is no guarantee the player got the addon from ESOUI and read the disclaimer.

ZOS refers to creating a README, and so I did. Better safe then sorry i guess.
06/25/14, 03:51 PM   #15
Sasky
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
edit:
It might also help if I didn't have the pts folder list open in my editor and not the live one *slaps head*.
Use symlinks / folder junctions. I have it put on the Addons folder, that way keep saved vars separate (don't risk override) and the enable/disable lists separate.
06/25/14, 03:55 PM   #16
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
Yeah I would have them named normally. Just forgot I had loaded up the pts last night to test my addon on the PTS and forgot to take it off my editor project list .. Fortunately just a few files I needed to adjust so no biggy and removed the PTS folder off the project list so I don't make the same mistake twice.
06/26/14, 05:26 AM   #17
zgrssd
Re: Where to put it.
They did not fix the bug that the Game is treating every .txt next to a valid manifest as anotehr manifest.
If it even was a bug and not just a different way of embedding stuff that needs to be run as seperate addon (I am about 75% certain it was a bug).

I put it as readme (no file extension). Open with notepad is a pretty common step to take (it's saying Text in the name).

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Rofl, oops .. didn't get to this post before creating that readme file they suggested .. rofl. Oh well, I have updated the addon itself yet so guess I'll do that if it works .. wasn't sure if it was possible to put plain text in the main addon txt file.

edit:
A friend of mine has a saying:
Experience is wonderfull. Unfortunately you only get it after you would have needed it
06/26/14, 04:48 PM   #18
Iyanga
I'm not going to be bullied into their bull****, sorry.

The addons I write don't contain trademarks of ZeniMax, so I don't need to point out that they are trademarks.

What next? I write a damsel in distress story and Disney expects me to put a disclaimer in my story?

06/26/14, 09:16 PM   #19
mctaylor

Sideways

Originally Posted by Iyanga View Post
The addons I write don't contain trademarks of ZeniMax, so I don't need to point out that they are trademarks.
The bit they want you to add is three sentences. The first is a short, clear, plain-language that simply is intended to make it clear that your (or mine) add-on is not part of ZeniMax Media's IP, nor do they claim any responsibility if the add-ons re-formats the users hard drive.

Honestly, pretty fair request, all things considered. Also it accidentally makes it clear that your add-on is not their intellectual property, because otherwise they couldn't necessarily disclaim all responsibility for it if they did own it.

The second simply states that "Elder Scrolls" is a registered trademark of ZeniMax Media, which is a simple true statement of little consequence, other than to acknowledge they do own the trademark, and thus they can "control" the usage of their trademark, or try to.

So long as you do not refer explicitly to the "Elder Scrolls" or "ZeniMax" you have no obligation to disclose that they are trademarked phrases. You see unlike copyright, trademarks owners have to make an attempt to control appropriate usage of their trademarks or risk "dilution," a legal thingie, not a janitorial metaphor. So if you do use the phrase, then it is a fair and modest request to simply disclose that "Elder Scrolls" is a registered trademark in various nation-states.

The third sentence is actually stupid, because although this originated with the Buenos Aires Convention of 1910, which US was signatory of, but the Universal Copyright Convention, which US signed in 1955, eliminates the necessity, and the phrase is now entirely obsolete since 2000 when Nicaragua became last Buenos Aires member to become either a Berne or UCC convention member.

But Intellectual Property lawyers are conservative bunch even amongst conservatives, and the publishing industry is notorious at resisting change (and progress), so its usage continues primarily out of copy-and-paste legal work.

Disclaimer: I wrote this, and I do not practice, nor am I licensed to practice law in any lawful jurisdiction. The reader of this forum is clearly not dumb enough to believe this constitutes legal advice.
06/27/14, 09:24 AM   #20
Iyanga
Originally Posted by mctaylor View Post
The bit they want you to add is three sentences. The first is a short, clear, plain-language that simply is intended to make it clear that your (or mine) add-on is not part of ZeniMax Media's IP, nor do they claim any responsibility if the add-ons re-formats the users hard drive.
It's also not part of Bethesda. Or Sony. Or Disney. Or Pixar.

And whose responsibility is it, if "GetUnitName("player")" DOES format the hard drive? The responsibility of the addon developer?

The second simply states that "Elder Scrolls" is a registered trademark of ZeniMax Media, which is a simple true statement of little consequence, other than to acknowledge they do own the trademark, and thus they can "control" the usage of their trademark, or try to.

So long as you do not refer explicitly to the "Elder Scrolls" or "ZeniMax" you have no obligation to disclose that they are trademarked phrases.
So do you add this disclaimer now to everyone of your posts here? You are even using the words.

You see unlike copyright, trademarks owners have to make an attempt to control appropriate usage of their trademarks or risk "dilution," a legal thingie, not a janitorial metaphor. So if you do use the phrase, then it is a fair and modest request to simply disclose that "Elder Scrolls" is a registered trademark in various nation-states.
As I said, this disclaimer is supposed to be added independent from the usage of the trademarked words. How can the non-usage of the word Elder Scrolls dilute the trademark Elder Scrolls?

This doesn't make sense.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » New API on live. EULA notice