05/18/14, 11:38 AM   #21
Vuelhering
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yeah, I guess it does sound iffy. Hopefully someone can write it and post to pastebin or something.

The first part you posted is interesting, though.
05/18/14, 03:49 PM   #22
katkat42
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Hmm, was just reading the Elder Scrolls Online EULA to see what it says about reverse engineering etc. And I found this little titbit in there.
That's actually in there to protect Zenimax from add-on writers. If someone writes an add-on that provides a simple, useful function, and later Zenimax adds that function to the vanilla UI in a similar way that the add-on writer did, the add-on writer could sue Zenimax for stealing their add-on to put in the vanilla UI. (This is true whether ZO got the idea for the feature from the add-on, or not. All the plaintiff would have to do is prove that ZO could reasonably have been exposed to the add-on. George Harrison got slapped down by Ronnie Mack's publisher on exactly this grounds.) Remember that whole fraught thread about copyright law between add-on authors? Those concerns apply to Zenimax too. This is their answer.

This is also why many franchises hate fanfiction -- it's not because they want to quash their fans' creativity. It's because they don't want their fans to sue them for "stealing their ideas" to make money.
05/21/14, 08:47 AM   #23
thelegendaryof

So much game 0000h dat a55! Consolut doctor G! fast!

Nuff said.

Last edited by thelegendaryof : 05/21/14 at 08:50 AM.
05/21/14, 07:40 PM   #24
katkat42
Sorry. My father is an intellectual property attorney. We had...interesting...dinner table conversations while I was growing up. My intention was to convey information, not judgement. If anything, my judgement would be against how broken the system is, that it requires this sort of thing in the first place.
05/21/14, 07:45 PM   #25
thelegendaryof

(in case someone didn't get it my previous message is actually a hint to a solution )

however i totally agree that the system is somewhat broken if it needs to be done that way ...

cheers
05/21/14, 09:39 PM   #26
katkat42
Originally Posted by thelegendaryof View Post
(in case someone didn't get it my previous message is actually a hint to a solution )
::googles Dr. G:: Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » (addons) The ESO API is there a way to Extract the API ?