04/24/14, 09:21 PM   #41
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
My one has been added back up there but the download button is now linking to the download script on this site. I have done what I did last time and posted a comment on the addon page to either change the link to the addon page itself or to remove it entirely. Last time the change happened quite quickly.
04/24/14, 09:35 PM   #42
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Looks like their Contact Us button is working now. (Not sure if they actually read the, but, at least it's not broken like last time...)

They also put the ZAM addons back up there, scraping this site for the download. That means we pay for the bandwidth without getting the traffic, people who download from there don't know where they're getting stuff from, authors are still not listed on the site so people don't know who to go to for support, descriptions are shortened and no screenshots are up so users don't really know much about what they're downloading...

This is just an awful site.
04/24/14, 10:28 PM   #43
Vuelhering
Originally Posted by archpoet View Post
Kinda makes me feel icky about the GPL2... :X

I've been thinking about embedding info (official site, contact info) in my config screen, and obfuscating it to make it difficult to modify.

And while I'm a big supporter of OSS, I don't like it when people fork it while it's under active development.
04/24/14, 10:45 PM   #44
archpoet
Cunning Linguist

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Vuelhering View Post
...And while I'm a big supporter of OSS, I don't like it when people fork it while it's under active development.
+1

(pretend this is trailing whitespace)
04/25/14, 11:31 PM   #45
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
Well, they don't seem to be as responsive to requests to remove, adjust etc like before. Hopefully your IT guys will be able to validate the download link so that it only works from ESOUI sources and not external sites.

I have simply put a link to my addon's page here as a comment on the addon page there and stressed the importance of downloading from this site rather than that site.
04/26/14, 12:39 AM   #46
Vicster0

So, maybe it's nothing.... but the domain is registered through DomainsByProxy in an attempt to hide the whois information from the public. With that being said, DomainsByProxy does allow for claims to be filed due to copyright infringement. https://www.domainsbyproxy.com/ClaimForm.aspx?Type=2

Maybe if enough people file complaints we can get some sort of action or at least a response...

Update: I just followed the download link from two of my addons and they both linked back to ESOUI... lol
04/26/14, 12:57 AM   #47
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
They aren't actually hosting the addons themselves any more, so people can't go after them for copyright violation at this point. What they are doing now is linking to the downloads on us and Curse. They were hot-linking to our files (using our bandwidth and server without sending the users to the actual pages here), but dolby was able to put in something to prevent that (at least for now). With that being the situation, there isn't really a problem any more. They've just become a site that provides a list of addons, that sends the user to the proper sites to get the actual download. And from all the research we've done into it (them), they are getting so little traffic as to be basically inconsequential.
04/26/14, 02:22 AM   #48
Vuelhering
That's cool. Nothing really wrong with a site full of links.

So, sounds like it's no longer an issue.
04/26/14, 12:09 PM   #49
LilBudyWizer
Personally, to me, you might consider throwing the guy a lifeline rather than assuming he's a creep. Rather than working feverishly to shut him down you might consider trying to fold him in. He created a professional looking site, paid for a listing on Bing. He seems to be making an legitimate effort rather just being annoying like the gold spammers spewing gibberish to bypass spam filters for some unfathomable reason since you can't even tell what they are attempting to advertise any more. It seems likely he's just a guy with a dream he didn't research adequately.

I am assuming this isn't a full commercial site, that it's basically a community site. If anyone getting a salary at this point it would seem likely it's paid by ZAM Networks and not off revenues from this site. Likely ZAM Networks doesn't make enough to justify it as a full commercial site due to the lack of apparent advertising on places like Wowhead. Assuming that this is, basically, a community site then this guy is largely a misdirected volunteer. So use him for something useful. Give him some direction on what would be useful subsite if actually had the time to do it.

Just my view.
04/26/14, 12:14 PM   #50
Stormknight

Originally Posted by LilBudyWizer View Post
Personally, to me, you might consider throwing the guy a lifeline rather than assuming he's a creep. Rather than working feverishly to shut him down you might consider trying to fold him in. He created a professional looking site, paid for a listing on Bing. He seems to be making an legitimate effort rather just being annoying like the gold spammers spewing gibberish to bypass spam filters for some unfathomable reason since you can't even tell what they are attempting to advertise any more. It seems likely he's just a guy with a dream he didn't research adequately.

I am assuming this isn't a full commercial site, that it's basically a community site. If anyone getting a salary at this point it would seem likely it's paid by ZAM Networks and not off revenues from this site. Likely ZAM Networks doesn't make enough to justify it as a full commercial site due to the lack of apparent advertising on places like Wowhead. Assuming that this is, basically, a community site then this guy is largely a misdirected volunteer. So use him for something useful. Give him some direction on what would be useful subsite if actually had the time to do it.

Just my view.
Unfortunately, if you read back through previous pages of this thread, his actions have indicated otherwise. People started off trying to talk to him, but he actively avoided such.
04/26/14, 12:24 PM   #51
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Your points would be absolutely valid if not for a few things:
  • It's not hard to figure out how to get in touch with us if they wanted to work together
  • There was no contact us information on the site (and still isn't)
  • There wasn't even a 'contact us' option, although there is now.
  • The contact info that could be found by going digging for the whois info on the site was deliberately blocked after they realized that people were able to get it
  • I've tried using the 'contact us' option now that it is finally there and I've heard absolutely nothing back
04/27/14, 04:20 AM   #52
LilBudyWizer
Legitimate points. Those points do not support only one thesis. If being angry is what makes you happy then have at it. I'm high confrontational, I can understand that. If being angry doesn't actually make you happy you might want to consider some other possibilities equally supported by the limited facts.
04/27/14, 04:56 AM   #53
Iyanga
Rather than working feverishly to shut him down
Nobody tries to shut him down. His website can become the biggest, greatest, coolest whatever website for TESO addons for all I care.

We expect him to respect our rights.
04/27/14, 09:01 AM   #54
Wobin

Also the rights of the sites we do choose to host our addons on. ESOUI go out of their way to offer us the tools and support they do, and for someone to hotlink off them, taking their bandwidth with no recourse to the ad revenue they'd normally get, is bad practice, and really, just plain rude.
04/27/14, 10:30 AM   #55
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
It seems they have responded to my request to remove XrysGatherer from their site if they weren't willing to link to the addon page instead of the download link direct.
04/27/14, 04:07 PM   #56
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Legitimate points. Those points do not support only one thesis. If being angry is what makes you happy then have at it. I'm high confrontational, I can understand that. If being angry doesn't actually make you happy you might want to consider some other possibilities equally supported by the limited facts.
As evidenced by the responses, we're willing to talk about it. What other possibilities do you see here? Also, how does my response suggest to you that I'm angry and that I wish to remain angry?
04/27/14, 04:26 PM   #57
Fathis Ules
Thief Guild Master

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Wykkyd View Post
I called GoDaddy directly, originally, on their Abuse hotline. That's how I found out the site was hosted at Hostinger. Both the host, and the owner, are based in Lithuania.
I know pretty good site for finding Hosters , it is set by guys under pastebin, works very good at least with all the domain I have tried

http://hostcabi.net return indeed Hostinger International Limited
05/01/14, 05:31 AM   #58
Lynce
Originally Posted by Fathis Ules View Post
I know pretty good site for finding Hosters , it is set by guys under pastebin, works very good at least with all the domain I have tried

http://hostcabi.net return indeed Hostinger International Limited
Don't really see the point of knowing their hoster, as they are no longer hosting the addons, there is absolutely nothing that can be don't against them, furthermore there is really no point to do anything against them too.

At this point, I filly agree with LilBudyWizer, better work with them than against them. I have emailed them about a few things and it appears that the contact form is working, this time, I even got a message stating that the email was sent and received a reply soon after as where the last few times i didn't get anything from the form so I had to assume that i worked.

Did anyone email them with the links to forum topics like these, so that they can read what the actual developers think about their actions?
05/01/14, 07:14 AM   #59
Grischu
They linked to my C# exe too........

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » /sigh There's already a site ...