03/04/18, 09:38 PM   #1
jlcrow
UI Errors - How Do I Determine Which Addon Causes Them

Since the Dragon Bones update, many of the addons have become less compatible. I appreciate the work addon creators do and that they strive to make their addons as compatible and bug free as possible. To that end, when bugs arise, how do I know which addon is causing the problem? I get the UI error screens and see the debugging code -- I assume that is what it is -- but I don't know how to read it. Additionally, even I was able to know what addon was causing the problem, how do I get the bug information to them?

For example, below are screen shots of the two separate UI Errors. Each is two screen shots because the last line of the errors extends beyond the window and requires a second screen shot.

How do I read these and get the information to the addon creator? Thanks for any suggestions or instructions you all can offer.

J

Last edited by jlcrow : 03/04/18 at 09:43 PM.
03/05/18, 12:39 AM   #2
Rhyono
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Best way is to one by one disable the addons shown in the errors, if the error still occurs, jot down that the addon you disabled MIGHT be safe. Once you've found the one that definitely is not safe, re-enable the others and repeat the process until you know all culprits.
03/05/18, 12:40 AM   #3
votan

Originally Posted by jlcrow View Post
Since the Dragon Bones update, many of the addons have become less compatible. I appreciate the work addon creators do and that they strive to make their addons as compatible and bug free as possible. To that end, when bugs arise, how do I know which addon is causing the problem? I get the UI error screens and see the debugging code -- I assume that is what it is -- but I don't know how to read it. Additionally, even I was able to know what addon was causing the problem, how do I get the bug information to them?

For example, below are screen shots of the two separate UI Errors. Each is two screen shots because the last line of the errors extends beyond the window and requires a second screen shot.

How do I read these and get the information to the addon creator? Thanks for any suggestions or instructions you all can offer.

J
Hi.

This is a so-called "Callstack trace". You are reading it from top to bottom.
The first line is there the error happend. If it is a [C] function or the file path does not include "Addons", it is a built-in function. When go to the next line.
If this filename starts with "\Lib*" the addon has nothing to do with it: It could be an error within the library (=> library author) or go on to a line without "Lib*".
This is the addon which is involved (=> this author)

In your case a lot addons are in the callstack, because all hooking the tooltip. (I can see that from the SetBagItem) But you also can read things containing "Tooltip". So, that is normal.

Last edited by votan : 03/05/18 at 12:43 AM.
03/05/18, 09:01 AM   #4
jlcrow
Originally Posted by Rhyono View Post
Best way is to one by one disable the addons shown in the errors, if the error still occurs, jot down that the addon you disabled MIGHT be safe. Once you've found the one that definitely is not safe, re-enable the others and repeat the process until you know all culprits.
This is a process I normally do and it stops the error from occurring, as well as removing its other functionality, but it does not help the addon author know of the error unless the next step is taken, that is to reach out to the addon author.

With this post I was hoping to learn how to read the error to save time disabling and reloading the UI, thus making the process faster for everyone.
03/05/18, 09:04 AM   #5
jlcrow
Originally Posted by votan View Post
Hi.

This is a so-called "Callstack trace". You are reading it from top to bottom.
The first line is there the error happend. If it is a [C] function or the file path does not include "Addons", it is a built-in function. When go to the next line.
If this filename starts with "\Lib*" the addon has nothing to do with it: It could be an error within the library (=> library author) or go on to a line without "Lib*".
This is the addon which is involved (=> this author)

In your case a lot addons are in the callstack, because all hooking the tooltip. (I can see that from the SetBagItem) But you also can read things containing "Tooltip". So, that is normal.
Thank you for the explanation, although I must admit it is all still quite opaque to me.

Nevertheless, should I to assume that this error has been received by the right person to fix it when possible?
03/05/18, 10:11 AM   #6
Rhyono
Originally Posted by jlcrow View Post
Nevertheless, should I to assume that this error has been received by the right person to fix it when possible?
No, because votan isn't the author of every addon listed there. His addons could be entirely innocent.

Right now you have a list of suspects, not culprits. Until you know which is actually at fault, it can't be fixed.
03/06/18, 08:52 PM   #7
calia1120

ZBug is rather useful for making errors a bit more manageable as well - http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info3...placement.html
04/06/18, 01:42 PM   #8
MurkyMais
Bug Catcher may help you. I find it handy to find out what addon is throwing the error.

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1083-BugCatcher.html

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » UI Errors - How Do I Determine Which Addon Causes Them