05/28/17, 07:57 AM   #1
darkbyte
Question Fixes to someone else add-on

Hi Everyone,

I'm kinda new here and i was wondering what the rules were for sharing a fix to an addon while the author is seemingly absent or not available.

The reason i ask is i did fix some issues with a addon and would like to make it known to the author so he saves time to fix it when he gets back.

The other reason is that i would like players with that issue to benefit from the fix i did.

Can i attach the updated file in a forum post and direct players to that forum post for updating their files locally?

Regards,
DarkByte
05/28/17, 08:02 AM   #2
Ayantir

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Why bother ? people fix my adons at day +1 while I'm posting .

Ayantir, verry happy.
05/28/17, 09:06 AM   #3
darkbyte
Well,

I did mention that this is a add-on where the author is not currently updating it. I usually wait a few days before doing any kind of attempt to fix and only if this addon is really a big benefit.

Still don't know if i'm allowed to attach the updated script file to a forum post here, and if so, in which forum section.

Edit: Also, i want others to benefit from this fix.

Last edited by darkbyte : 05/28/17 at 09:08 AM.
05/28/17, 09:07 AM   #4
Rhyono
Typically, you can post it as a patch for that addon, so people will more easily see there's a fixed version.
05/28/17, 10:00 AM   #5
darkbyte
So, the fix is for CraftStoreFixedAndImproved addon, the attachment is the updated Lua file that needs to replace the old one.

Is it ok that i do it this way ?
Attached Files
File Type: lua CraftStore_Styles.lua (8.2 KB, 313 views)
05/28/17, 10:08 AM   #6
Atlan

Exclamation Good question

Originally Posted by darkbyte View Post
I'm kinda new here and i was wondering what the rules were for sharing a fix to an addon while the author is seemingly absent or not available
That is indeed an interesting question. Destinations has not seen an update in six month and produces several nil errors.

So I was wondering about that as well. Since we have GIT it should be possible to fork abandoned add-ons.
05/28/17, 10:13 AM   #7
Rhyono
Or you could use the massively updated CraftStore Morrowind.
05/28/17, 01:01 PM   #8
darkbyte
After having a talk with my guild about the fix, i was told the addon had changed name and i felt a little dumb, lol.

At least it got me to learn new stuff.
05/28/17, 01:46 PM   #9
Tyx

Depends on the licence I would say.
If it has a open source licence: Feel free to fork it and fix it. If not you need the permission of the author to post a fix/patch if you use part of his code in it (if the author did not explicitly allow it somewhere).
This is from a legal standpoint (of my understanding, not a lawyer and can differ from country to country), but in reality, I don't think any author has something against a patch. At least I wouldn't
05/28/17, 10:05 PM   #10
iwontsay
Originally Posted by Tyx View Post
Depends on the licence I would say.
If it has a open source licence: Feel free to fork it and fix it. If not you need the permission of the author to post a fix/patch if you use part of his code in it (if the author did not explicitly allow it somewhere).
This is from a legal standpoint (of my understanding, not a lawyer and can differ from country to country), but in reality, I don't think any author has something against a patch. At least I wouldn't
Well, some authors do have their misgivings on people modifiying and redistributing their addons, so buyers beware. It's not always wounded pride as someone might think, there are some valid concerns like that it would end up with too many versions floating around, with one fixing bug A, another fixing bug B, and a third one fixing neither of them but adding another feature, and so on and so forth. See Android distributions for example. (Nope, this isn't Android bashing, just a statement of fact)

If you see an open source license which allows you to adapt and share, you're usually on the safe side because that means the author of the addon has given his permission in advance, given that you comply to the terms of the license, with the most likely terms to leave the license text itself intact as well as the original author names.
06/05/17, 06:16 AM   #11
Atlan

Originally Posted by iwontsay View Post
there are some valid concerns like that it would end up with too many versions floating around
True. But we are talking about abandoned add-ons. The only two alternatives are patching or creating a new add-on with the same functionality.
06/05/17, 09:40 AM   #12
Randactyl
Originally Posted by iwontsay View Post
If you see an open source license which allows you to adapt and share, you're usually on the safe side because that means the author of the addon has given his permission in advance, given that you comply to the terms of the license, with the most likely terms to leave the license text itself intact as well as the original author names.
Also, ESOUI policy is that if there is no explicit license, the site treats it as all rights reserved.

http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2365

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Fixes to someone else add-on