07/08/16, 04:12 AM   #1
Lagencie
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Searching for Event

Hallo,

i am just new to creating addons and i want to understand how to interact with the addons for specific times ... For example how do i get the Research Times for Blacksmithing that are right now active - Or how long it takes until i can feed my horse again.

In the existing Horse Feed Timer Addon there is a function GetTimeUntilMountCanBeFed - but i really dont get where this function is coming from ... i Just read about the tutorial that there is a big Event list, where i can interact on things that actually happen ... but on things, that are not actually happen i have no clue on how to get them ... Because Those times you dont really see anyhow, except if u go there - usually

Is it even legal, to make addons like this, that show you something you couldnt even do otherwise - like the Research Timer addons .. those seem kind of like a cheat to me - as it gives you times, you usually have to run to those stations and cant lookup anyhow else.
07/08/16, 06:50 AM   #2
votan

Originally Posted by Lagencie View Post
Hallo,

i am just new to creating addons and i want to understand how to interact with the addons for specific times ... For example how do i get the Research Times for Blacksmithing that are right now active - Or how long it takes until i can feed my horse again.

In the existing Horse Feed Timer Addon there is a function GetTimeUntilMountCanBeFed - but i really dont get where this function is coming from ... i Just read about the tutorial that there is a big Event list, where i can interact on things that actually happen ... but on things, that are not actually happen i have no clue on how to get them ... Because Those times you dont really see anyhow, except if u go there - usually

Is it even legal, to make addons like this, that show you something you couldnt even do otherwise - like the Research Timer addons .. those seem kind of like a cheat to me - as it gives you times, you usually have to run to those stations and cant lookup anyhow else.
Hallo Lagencie,

welcome.
Take a look on the Wiki's functions page. There are pre-defined functions available for us in ESO.
You don't find GetTimeUntilMountCanBeFed, because it is renamed to GetTimeUntilCanBeTrained.

Is it legal? Well, as long as you just spoil yourself it is tolerated.

You can say it is "unfair" to save time, which can be used to do other things instead.
Some people call this pay-to-win already, as ESO+ members don't need to spend time to free their bag...

I guess this is one reason why consoles and PC are not playing on the same server. Because consoles are not allowed to use addons, even if they want to. Which would be an advantage for PC.

The fun stops at full automation (for example moving) or helping to win a fight (against other players).
Therefore functions are marked as private (can not be used from addon at all) or protected (can not be used in combat)
Some functions just do nothing or return nothing, if you use them outside their intended game state.

Cheat engines are what is illegal. But they are not written via Lua addon code.
07/08/16, 07:08 AM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I could write a local "cheat engine" with lua which simply checks if the user is a and if he/she is inside Cyrodil and then it will annoy the gamer during gameplay with some popups etc :-)
But it'd be very simple to detect this addon and simply remove it again

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Searching for Event