06/30/20, 04:42 PM   #1
ZOS_DanBatson
ZOS Staff!

Yes this person is from ZeniMax!
Correcting the signature for the GetMapInfo API

We noticed that there was an error in the API for GetMapInfo:

Code:
* GetMapInfo(*luaindex* _index_)
** _Returns:_ *string* _name_, *[UIMapType|#UIMapType]* _mapType_, *[MapContentType|#MapContentType]* _mapContentType_, *integer* _zoneId_, *string* _description_
should have been:

Code:
** _Returns:_ *string* _name_, *[UIMapType|#UIMapType]* _mapType_, *[MapContentType|#MapContentType]* _mapContentType_, *luaindex* _zoneIndex_, *string* _description_
If we fix zoneId integer to be zoneIndex luaindex, any addons that happened to be using this function that had realized the mistake and corrected for it would suddenly break. However, it's possible no one was even using this API. So what I'd like to know is:

A: Is anyone using the API?
B: What would the community prefer in this situation? I can either correct it to be what it should be (potentially breaking any addon using the API) or I can deprecate the field (supporting it in the same broken way forever) and add a new corrected field on the end:

Code:
** _Returns:_ *string* _name_, *[UIMapType|#UIMapType]* _mapType_, *[MapContentType|#MapContentType]* _mapContentType_, *integer* _deprecatedZoneIndex_, *string* _description_, *luaindex* _zoneIndex_
Thoughts?
06/30/20, 04:47 PM   #2
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons

But that may just be my own preference.
06/30/20, 05:13 PM   #3
Kyoma
Wait but zoneId isn't always zoneIndex-1 (or +1), right? So does this mean up until now it hasn't been giving the right return value

Last edited by Kyoma : 06/30/20 at 05:40 PM.
06/30/20, 06:30 PM   #4
ZOS_DanBatson
ZOS Staff!

Originally Posted by Kyoma View Post
Wait but zoneId isn't always zoneIndex-1 (or +1), right? So does this mean up until now it hasn't been giving the right return value
Correct, it has been giving the wrong value this entire time. It was never a zone id, it was a zone index. But because it wasn't a luaindex type, it was an off by one zone index to boot.
07/01/20, 07:20 AM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Searched my addons folder in total and "GetMapInfo" was used in several of the addons I know/use.
e.g. CraftStore which is commonly used and wide spread, Votans Improved Locations, Survey the World (also wide spread and used), What pledges at my alts (also wide spread and used).
I did not check what variables they use from the returned values though.

Maybe, to keep it easy, and not break any existing addon:
Correct the function's description, and add the correct parameter at the end?
07/01/20, 12:14 PM   #6
votan

I use it in VotansImprovedLocations.
I like the idea sirinsidiator suggested in gitter.
07/02/20, 08:11 AM   #7
ZOS_DanBatson
ZOS Staff!

We went with two new functions, GetMapInfoByIndex and GetMapInfoById, both with the correct zoneIndex param. Then we put a GetMapInfo function into the compat alias file with the "uncorrection" for existing addons to use until they update.

Thanks all!
07/02/20, 12:33 PM   #8
Kyoma
Does that mean GetMapInfoById will use mapIds as returned from GetCurrentMapId() and such?
07/02/20, 06:38 PM   #9
ZOS_DanBatson
ZOS Staff!

Yes. We've added a variety of mapId specific APIs to make maps easier to use. They'll be in the next major update after the one coming up.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Correcting the signature for the GetMapInfo API