08/21/18, 07:43 PM   #1
aldericon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[outdated] EVENT_CHAT_MESSAGE_CHANNEL - fromName vs. fromDisplayName

The event 'EVENT_CHAT_MESSAGE_CHANNEL' has two parameters, fromName - which is supposed to be the character name of the user posting the chat message - and fromDisplayName - which is supposed to be the user id of the user posting the chat message.

It seems with the latest update, fromName is also the user's user id when posting in Guild Chat. Posting in zone still seems to work as expected.

08/21/18, 09:53 PM   #2
SlippyCheeze
Originally Posted by aldericon View Post
The event 'EVENT_CHAT_MESSAGE_CHANNEL' has two parameters, fromName - which is supposed to be the character name of the user posting the chat message - and fromDisplayName - which is supposed to be the user id of the user posting the chat message.

It seems with the latest update, fromName is also the user's user id when posting in Guild Chat. Posting in zone still seems to work as expected.
Are you certain that you don't have some chat addon altering the values in those fields or something?

I ask only because, well, I'd expect that my guild chat wouldn't have shown both character and account names while I was playing, but it showed both correctly.

08/22/18, 04:00 AM   #3
Scootworks

for me it works fine

[3] = character name
[6] = account name
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chats.png
Views:	418
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1041  

08/22/18, 05:55 PM   #4
aldericon

I disabled all addons except one I called 'test' with the attached .lua and .txt files in it. I also attached what it printed when people spoke in my guild chat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example.png
Views:	384
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	1044  
Attached Files
File Type: lua test.lua (790 Bytes, 412 views)
File Type: txt test.txt (120 Bytes, 395 views)

08/22/18, 08:37 PM   #5
Scootworks

try to change ingame settings to focus @Accountname instead charactername and check if something is different

08/23/18, 03:04 PM   #6
aldericon

Originally Posted by Scootworks View Post
try to change ingame settings to focus @Accountname instead charactername and check if something is different
My account settings are set to use the UserID ('@Accountname') and not the Character Name. Changing the setting to be one or the other makes no difference.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Bug Reports » [outdated] EVENT_CHAT_MESSAGE_CHANNEL - fromName vs. fromDisplayName