Quantcast ESO Launcher - ESOUI
Thread Tools Display Modes
04/19/14, 08:53 AM   #1
Lutefisk
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
ESO Launcher

So I tried to release a program I made that vastly improves ESO graphics on ESOUI like a week ago but it was denied because they wanted to see the source among other reasons, but I don't like people I don't know having my source for free. ;p

So I bought a domain and put it up for download for anyone who's interested: **Link Removed**

Before anyone starts screaming "OH NOES VIRUS!", if you don't want to use it, then don't.. it's as simple as that. Don't start spitting out lies and slander before you even use it.

Here are some before and after screenshots of it in action, which are also on the website:

Before


After


Before


After

Last edited by Seerah : 04/19/14 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Removed link to download
  Reply With Quote
04/19/14, 10:21 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer
 
Seerah's Avatar
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 651
We asked to see your source because we care about what our users download.

In the rules that you agreed to when you uploaded your file, it says this:
  • Executable files are not allowed, except for some very specific cases. We test and decompile all executable files that are submitted. In some cases we may ask for the source. This process could take awhile.
If you wish for us to not see your source, then we wonder why you don't want anyone to see your source code. This in combination of #9 in our site rules:
9. Please do not post outside links for addons, unless they are located on trusted sites such as googlecode, etc. It's so easy to just host it here - if you would like to offer it to someone else, just upload it. Any link like www. thisrandomserver-1211.net/thisnewaddon .zip will be removed.
is why I have removed your download link above.

Again, we care about our users and what they get from our site (even what is linked on the forums). This is a safe place. Now, your after shots look very nice. But, if you wish to host your application here, or link to it on the forums, you must play by our rules.


/edit: I have chosen to post this all publicly, so that all may know our rules and guidelines and remember that we will always look out for them.

Last edited by Seerah : 04/19/14 at 10:26 AM.
  Reply With Quote
04/19/14, 10:30 AM   #3
Lutefisk
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Just to be clear, the reason I can't let you see the source for ESOLauncher.exe is because it includes a Helper dll which contains classes / functions that I use on other projects, one of which is a game server I run.

I don't know you, or anyone who runs your site so forgive me for keeping it secure. ;p

I agree with your decisions, though... and will refrain from posting anything about ESO Launcher on your site anymore and will stick to other communities.
  Reply With Quote
04/19/14, 05:03 PM   #4
Tonyleila
 
Tonyleila's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 277
Originally Posted by Lutefisk View Post
Just to be clear, the reason I can't let you see the source for ESOLauncher.exe is because it includes a Helper dll which contains classes / functions that I use on other projects, one of which is a game server I run.

I don't know you, or anyone who runs your site so forgive me for keeping it secure. ;p

I agree with your decisions, though... and will refrain from posting anything about ESO Launcher on your site anymore and will stick to other communities.

Can't you just remove the "classes / functions that you use on other projects" and upload a clean version for us that dosen't contain things for I guess a "Privat ESO Server"? Woud that be to0 hard to filter out?
__________________
My Addons @ WoWInterface
  Reply With Quote
04/19/14, 05:26 PM   #5
Lutefisk
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
Can't you just remove the "classes / functions that you use on other projects" and upload a clean version for us that dosen't contain things for I guess a "Privat ESO Server"? Woud that be to0 hard to filter out?
The server is unrelated to ESO, https://www.magestorm.net if you really care. ;x

But yea, I could... It's just that I'd rather not go through the extra trouble.
  Reply With Quote
04/19/14, 07:12 PM   #6
Shirik
Super Moderator
WoWInterface Super Mod
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1
The file:

1. Was obfuscated intentionally so that it effectively cannot be read,
2. Had suspicious API calls, and
3. Was detected by several antiviral heuristic engines as suspicious

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't expect anyone to trust a file like this. Would you not release the source code even under an NDA of some sort? Closed source does not work well in a trustless world.
  Reply With Quote
04/20/14, 11:58 AM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 422
Originally Posted by Lutefisk View Post
So I tried to release a program I made that vastly improves ESO graphics on ESOUI like a week ago but it was denied because they wanted to see the source among other reasons, but I don't like people I don't know having my source for free. ;p
Okay, let’s be clear here. The PM I sent you, which you never responded to by the way, explained what we would need from you in order to approve your file, including those ‘other reasons’ you alluded to:

Originally Posted by Cairenn
Your upload won't be approved at this time. Before we are willing to approve it, we will require a number of things from you.
  • A copy of your source code
  • The upload must be un-obfuscated
  • Proof that these options you've 'provided access to' don't violate any of Zenimax's EULA or TOS. They don't make them available to users to change, so ...
  • An explanation of why it can't be done via the Lua api

Until such time as you are able to provide us with the above, your upload will be denied.
And as Shirik said,

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
The file:
  • Was obfuscated intentionally so that it effectively cannot be read,
  • Had suspicious API calls, and
  • Was detected by several antiviral heuristic engines as suspicious. <snip>
I am still waiting to hear back from you. Rather than respond to me, you choose to circumvent our user-protection policies by posting a link to an off-site download location, also in violation of our rules.


Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
We asked to see your source because we care about what our users download.

In the rules that you agreed to when you uploaded your file, it says this:

  • Executable files are not allowed, except for some very specific cases. We test and decompile all executable files that are submitted. In some cases we may ask for the source. This process could take awhile.
If you wish for us to not see your source, then we wonder why you don't want anyone to see your source code. <snip>
Originally Posted by Lutefisk View Post
Just to be clear, the reason I can't let you see the source for ESOLauncher.exe is because it includes a Helper dll which contains classes / functions that I use on other projects, one of which is a game server I run.

I don't know you, or anyone who runs your site so forgive me for keeping it secure. ;p.
You’re right, you don’t know us. However, we don’t know you either.

Here are some of our bona fides, all of which are publicly found and verifiable by anyone and everyone who cares to look:
  • We’ve got 11 sites covering 12 games. (We had 12 sites, but closed one.)
  • We’ve been in business for over 12 years now.
  • We are members of the official fan site programs of every game company whose games we support. In a couple of cases, we are the only addon site for their game. In one case, our site is actually searchable from within the game.
  • We have over a million registered users, and since you don’t have to be registered to use our sites the number of people actually using our sites is exponentially higher.
Addendum:
  • We have been accused of stealing someone else’s intellectual property (code) and using it for our own profit exactly zero times.
  • We actually have taken someone else’s code and used it for our own profit exactly zero times as well.


Originally Posted by lutefisk:4914
Before anyone starts screaming "OH NOES VIRUS!", if you don't want to use it, then don't.. it's as simple as that. Don't start spitting out lies and slander before you even use it.
No one had, at the point you posted that, said word one about whether it was a virus or not, no one had even heard about it yet. To immediately start being defensive and accuse the community of ‘spitting out lies and slander’ …



As Seerah said above, we clearly state that if you want to release an executable on our sites, you may be asked to provide the source code so we can verify that it is safe. We also clearly state that we will remove that source code before releasing the files for download if so requested, to protect your copyright. Please note, however, that in addition to those statements is one stating that if we have reason to believe that you are deliberately uploading malicious files, we will not only deny it and ban you from the site, we will also report you to the proper authorities.
__________________
Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 04/20/14 at 12:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote

ESOUI » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » ESO Launcher

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off