06/02/14, 02:48 AM   #1
Aeruginosus
Lightbulb Fully custom UI design.

I was wondering, is it possible yet to fully customize the entire UI, every single aspect of it?

I'd like to see a more minimal design for everything - currently right now default elements that aren't redesigned by other add-ons available right now, are currently dirty looking - that's how the default UI has looked since beta and I've never been a fan of that. I was hoping I could request add-on authors to come together, and see if someone has the time to create such a robust project - with full customization options. Maybe have more customization options than just basic choices (a big project).

I'm willing to create graphics for it, I have Adobe Creative Suite and have been designing graphics for many years - I use to have my own design company and I also use to work for a gaming studio where I just managed the website, and game launchers, and in game UI design. I eventually decided I'd rather do it as a hobby, and I find it's more fun that way. I've never been able to code anything, so everything I did was design only. Code is such a headache for me I never really put much effort into learning it. I use to enjoy UI customization in Skyrim from SkyUI but, it lacked some features I'd like to see, and I honestly believe I can do better than that - design wise while still being minimal and clean in the approach.

Anyway, I hope someone is interested and I hope we're capable of doing this, so early on as it is.

Thank you for your time.
06/02/14, 04:19 AM   #2
danaketh
I think it would be easier if you've made the UI design (mockup would do I think), posted an image so devs know what exactly you have in mind and then they can tell you "ok, this we can do" or "sorry, this is no go".

It's the way we do things (at my job) - designer makes the UI mockup and we tell him what we can do and what is not possible or has to be altered a bit. When we have an agreement, he goes to make it look nice and we'll make it happen.
06/02/14, 04:53 AM   #3
Aeruginosus
Originally Posted by danaketh View Post
I think it would be easier if you've made the UI design (mockup would do I think), posted an image so devs know what exactly you have in mind and then they can tell you "ok, this we can do" or "sorry, this is no go".

It's the way we do things (at my job) - designer makes the UI mockup and we tell him what we can do and what is not possible or has to be altered a bit. When we have an agreement, he goes to make it look nice and we'll make it happen.
That is essentially what I usually do, but I didn't. I thought I was able to explain it well enough without having to make a mockup, and it end up wasting my time if it can't be done, or used for anything really, other than something to look at. That's why I didn't do it yet. I'd like to see if someone or anyone can understand what I'm requesting, and find out if it's possible to do it before I make anything at all. But if that's not going to be acceptable, or possible, I will - I just prefer not to waste the design if it can't be used for anything.
06/02/14, 06:19 AM   #4
Stormknight

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Technically it should be possible to reskin the whole UI - there seems to be sufficient permissions within the API to do so.

It's a fairly large project though and would need to be carefully planned so that it didn't mess up other addons.

I don't have the time to devote to building such an addon myself.
06/02/14, 08:45 AM   #5
Tonyleila

It will always not look like other addons that fit to the original UI. Just look at Aurora from WoW, its one of the biggest projects there but I guess it woud be smaler for ESO because there is basicly just one option menu with background and the Banks/Vendors
Anyone knows if replacing textures without code is possible like in WoW? I made this Aurora: Missing Textures to skin all addons.

Last edited by Tonyleila : 06/02/14 at 08:49 AM.
06/02/14, 10:52 AM   #6
Tar000un

I m developing an addon to set a movable UI. Our proposition is a good one, and I will be happy to give an hand with this project.

But you should enable your PM to talk more about it.
06/02/14, 01:05 PM   #7
thelegendaryof

Simply said:

UI 's are just like every little piece made by humans in the world.

It 's going to have limits - even professional done ones by teams -
even more so when it 's free no matter if someone calls for a unification or not.

It 's probably never going to happen unless you start and do it on your own.

There is only so much time one has so if you absolutely want something spend your own time on it first.

And by that I don't mean words - but ultimately actions that change something.

And thereafter it 's bound to change again - a good example of that is Steve Jobs and Apple.
Whilist I never considered it perfect he managed to push his idea forward and after he died
things changed. Even whilist some don't see it like that and tend to object it is true.
And by that I mean that things change taking aside if it 's for the good or the bad.

Ultimately that isn't ment as judgement or anything but a friendly remind to just start.

And to make this post a bit informational to those that don't know it:

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-...dobe-photoshop

dds is the main-format of textures in this (and many other) game(s).

Cheers

Last edited by thelegendaryof : 06/02/14 at 01:13 PM.
06/02/14, 10:10 PM   #8
Aeruginosus
Originally Posted by Tar000un View Post
I m developing an addon to set a movable UI. Our proposition is a good one, and I will be happy to give an hand with this project.

But you should enable your PM to talk more about it.
Thanks, I have enabled messaging. I didn't know it was off.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully, we can come up with something. I can't do code. That's the hardest part for me. But design, no problem. I specialize in design.
06/02/14, 10:11 PM   #9
Aeruginosus
Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
It will always not look like other addons that fit to the original UI. Just look at Aurora from WoW, its one of the biggest projects there but I guess it woud be smaler for ESO because there is basicly just one option menu with background and the Banks/Vendors
Anyone knows if replacing textures without code is possible like in WoW? I made this Aurora: Missing Textures to skin all addons.
I use to use your add-on quiet a bit back when I still played World of Warcraft. I'm a fan.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Fully custom UI design.