05/31/19, 08:03 PM   #1
Phuein

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Lightbulb One Tweaks Addon To Rule Them All?

I noticed that I tend to push small tweaks into one of my smaller general addons. Stuff like a quick way to copy item names into chat, or hide the main quest from my quests list. You know, a mix of different toggles and tools.

It looks something like this in the settings:

I thought about making an addon for my tweaks... a la "Phuein's Tweaks", or something of the sort... Or an addon for each tweak / group...

But then I realized it's silly. There must already be a big tweaks addon I can patch into, right? But I couldn't find anything so specific. Is there a globally maintained Tweaks Addon out there that I could join? Should I just make my own and hope others stumble into it? (Because tweaks are very general, so it's hard to search for.)

Enjoy the silly title

Last edited by Phuein : 06/05/19 at 12:21 AM.
05/31/19, 08:34 PM   #2
Rhyono
I know there's at least one, but I can't remember the name. I'm sure it belongs to one of the guys that checks the forums frequently, though.
06/01/19, 01:39 AM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
TweakIt
NoThankYou
FCOChangeStuff

These are the tweaks addons I know of.
06/01/19, 04:22 AM   #4
Marazota
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
TweakIt
NoThankYou
FCOChangeStuff

These are the tweaks addons I know of.

and Lazy Hacks or smthing
06/01/19, 02:24 PM   #5
Phuein

<Checks all addons mentioned...>

Circonians TweakIt and No, thank you! are both notoriously outdated. Errors sadly. FCO ChangeStuff and Lilith's Lazy Hacks suffer the silly issue of replicating the functionality of other addons. This relates to the issue of "Tweak Addons" not being clear about what they offer, so users are less likely to find them.

More importantly, none of these addons invite other developers to add options. They stand alone, like a "Phuein's Tweaks" addon would.

Would I be over-reaching by suggesting a community addon that can have roll-over maintenance? Several developers in charge of base addon, and any developer can make their Patch that adds their own game tweaks. Not too dissimilar to how some big libs are going right now.
06/01/19, 05:17 PM   #6
sirinsidiator

Having one big tweak addon is bound to fall into disrepair over time. I see it for myself with sidWarTools for example. It tweaks many different things, but on every update that breaks something, I just don't find the time to properly adjust that part, so I end up doing some hackish hotfix or removing it instead.

IMO many smaller addons that each do one thing would be better. That way authors can just publish the one tweak they need, and it's also easier to find it from a player perspective. I believe passing a smaller addon to a new author is also somewhat easier, since they won't be overwhelmed by the amount of code.

Once Minion 4 is released, authors can also create sort of a "meta addon" which bundles any number of those small tweak addons through dependencies and Minion will install and update them automatically.
06/02/19, 09:49 AM   #7
Phuein

Your response adds to my argument, Siri. I've never even seen your tweaks addon until now, and I've been browsing this site for years.

Using Patches instead of individual Addons makes more sense, than just Minion4 bundling a bunch of overlapping unmaintained addons. I'd bet anything we'll get way more incompatibility issues! [I'm surprised you didn't address the idea of relying on Patches, specifically.]

Rethinking the issue of players finding it, I'm realizing that Patches are easy to find and will point the player at the main Addon that gets patched. As long as they are named by function "Quest List Tweaks" - rather than "Main Addon Name Patch" and the like.
06/02/19, 10:55 AM   #8
sirinsidiator

The problem I see with patches is that they are all stuck in the "Plug-Ins & Patches" category, which makes it hard to find them when browsing for something specific like "Chat Mods" for example. Using meta addons would also allow curated bundles of fixes that belong together for convenient installation - e.g. a tweak bundle for pvp, one for trials etc. Patches on the other hand would have to be found and installed by hand.

Another issue might be that most of these tweaks are likely just a few lines of code. In case it should also provide some settings and maybe even localization it's even more of a hassle. Authors will have to add lots of boilerplate code and players may end up with hundreds of separate addon menus for each of these tweak addons.

Maybe some sort of "micro tweaks" framework could help with that. A core addon provides the settings menu and other functions that may be reused between the individual tweaks. Thinking about it, I actually already do something like that with my Medic addon, just that the tweaks are not individual addons, but part of Medic.
06/03/19, 08:55 AM   #9
Phuein

<Thinks deeply...>

For the main category, yes. There are sub-categories, which I assume help alleviate this issue. If not, this will depend on the main addon becoming notorious - successful - useful.

No doubt, the main addon should be a framework that requires the least amount of code from the Patchers. And each patch would start from a premade template - so the actual work is just a few lines of modifications / additions.

This takes from my work with New Addon. A simplified time saver.

I now wonder about the necessity of this addon. Tackling maintenance. And developer interest and preferences.
06/03/19, 09:16 AM   #10
Marazota
how about Unofficial ESO tweaks'n'fixes addon?
and like it was in skyrim

and few authors to rule them all
06/03/19, 09:26 AM   #11
Sorondor
I realize it's more complex, but perhaps a setup similar to Advanced Filters where different authors can provide plugins for additional functionality? If a plugin breaks, don't enable it and everything else should continue to work.
06/04/19, 06:20 AM   #12
Marazota
im searching for so long for addon that supress New trait learned when crafting glyphs....
i hope you will add this feature
06/05/19, 04:27 PM   #13
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Marazota View Post
im searching for so long for addon that supress New trait learned when crafting glyphs....
i hope you will add this feature
It's not about new features and time savers for your multi box setup here

The idea with the plug-ins sounds nice but it's hardly doable as one needs to add plugin insert functions for all of the possible code changes (prehook, posthook, overwrite,etc.) somehow. And this would be needed per case, for functions, controls, tables, and mixtures of all of them.
I guess adding several authors maybe to the addons team and making the source public at github could let the devs combine ideas and get help at the best possible way.
Features could be added via own added Lua files (like a plugin) and just the settings menu needs to be adopted to enable the new feature, or not.

Basically the same like every other addon. Most of the tweak addons just break if ZOs changes some basic code or vanilla UI again and many other addons do not respect the way addons should be created or the lack of knowhow about hooks, txt dependencies etc. destroys other addons somehow.
So there will always be a lot of work to do to keep them alive and compatible
06/06/19, 04:01 AM   #14
Marazota
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
It's not about new features and time savers for your multi box setup here

The idea with the plug-ins sounds nice but it's hardly doable as one needs to add plugin insert functions for all of the possible code changes (prehook, posthook, overwrite,etc.) somehow. And this would be needed per case, for functions, controls, tables, and mixtures of all of them.
I guess adding several authors maybe to the addons team and making the source public at github could let the devs combine ideas and get help at the best possible way.
Features could be added via own added Lua files (like a plugin) and just the settings menu needs to be adopted to enable the new feature, or not.

Basically the same like every other addon. Most of the tweak addons just break if ZOs changes some basic code or vanilla UI again and many other addons do not respect the way addons should be created or the lack of knowhow about hooks, txt dependencies etc. destroys other addons somehow.
So there will always be a lot of work to do to keep them alive and compatible
stop this false accusations now and forever
im not a multiboxer
and this your accusations is bad for your reputation

better look at Crafting material level display comments
i reported few more bugs =)
06/06/19, 05:51 AM   #15
Keresthus
Not really. I'd sooner listen to the prolific addon author than the random user.

That said, from a general perspective of UI design, it seems like the learned rune alert should be a corner message instead of a modal dialogue.
06/06/19, 11:14 AM   #16
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
stop this false accusations now and forever
im not a multiboxer

better look at Crafting material level display comments
i reported few more bugs =)
Well sorry for the wrong accusation then. But you wrote you are using several accounts, and you once even told us it's at the same time, if I remember correctly. And you need this and that time saver over and over again, in every addon which you can find as it seems.

At least stop to hijack the topics then for your feature requests, will you? And try to learn to wait, or to code lua yourself. Thank you.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » One Tweaks Addon To Rule Them All?