04/28/14, 04:51 AM   #1
Saftsuse

[WANTED] A Precise Range reticle with a .comma

I want to be able to see the distance to target more precisely, with a .comma, like 3.24m Is that possible?
04/28/14, 05:15 AM   #2
Stormknight

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It could be done, but it's sort of a calculated estimate anyway from what I understand, so not sure it's accurate enough to warrant that level of precision.
04/28/14, 08:51 AM   #3
Wykkyd
Are you Wykkyd Gaming?

WoWInterface Super Mod
It would only be possible if the addon was built using unique logic for every single zone and subzone in game that cause new map dimensions, which basically means there would be around 200+ different algorithms for calculating range with precision and whatever author was maintaining the addon would have to have a very specially built character to do so with, one with/without certain abilities and/or morphs so that skill ranges were also very precisely known.

Most games using a common grid size and report your actual position in 3D space when you ask for coordinates. TESO does not. TESO supplies Horizontal, Vertical and Heading in relation to the current map which is baselined at a certain grid-size but scaled (increasing/decreasing each zone's individual grid-size).

Wykkyd's Framework has a rangefinder that I claim is roughly 90% accurate. To do it I did a lot of travelling on PTS and a lot of testing with different spells and bow skills (including snipe). You'd be in one zone and max snipe range would report as 53.27819 grid units difference between me and target. In another zone it'd be 19.327832 grid units. In a third zone it might be 103.896732 (all ballparked but very realistic).

Since the game doesn't present precise information with which to do precise range-finding the best we can do is reverse-engineer based upon our expectations using the data we're given.
04/29/14, 03:18 AM   #4
Saftsuse

Ok, so that is why its a difference between the range finding addons, one addon shows 1m, another shows 2m, etc. I was in a public dungon yesterday, and I could attack at what seemed to be 40m, I thought it was something wrong with the addon, so I tested a few more, with the same result. Thanks for clearing that up.

But wouldnt it be possible to make some sort of library? Where players reported their different findings. For example max range is Y, max melee distance is X, some spells got different max ranges, max interaction distance. Then adjust the range finder accordingly for each zone, with this librarys help, add an "m" behind the number?

Or even record the players own findings, in zone A max range is X, then in zone B etc? Then make the max range show as 28m, and at the same spot as target show as 0m, then everything in between is made out by some math?

Or would it be possible to show when the target is exactly within range as it should be possible to see if a ranged ability like a spell with max range 28m is castable at target, and from there find everything else?

Last edited by Saftsuse : 04/29/14 at 03:36 AM.
05/04/14, 05:29 AM   #5
Saftsuse

There is an addon called ravSpeed, it has a way to register how this works, only for running speed, wouldnt it be possible to translate this into a range reticle?
05/04/14, 07:14 AM   #6
Divona

It is possible to have a library full of data, but still missing one important bit is Z coordinate that tell the height different between player and the target in 3D space. To actually have accurate range calculation.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » [WANTED] A Precise Range reticle with a .comma