09/25/20, 02:25 PM   #1
Dung0619
Question How do I navigate "outdated" mods?

I'm just starting out and looking at some addon lists, but a lot of them, even on lists made this year, don't have that magical 6.1.5 on them. So far I've learned that that doesn't mean the mod no longer works, just that it doesn't have the version number in its manifest; a lot of "outdated" mods work fine for people. I'm used to this in a number of games, in Rimworld for example it's VERY common that the only "update" a mod needs when a patch drops is changing the version string.

The question is which ones work, which ones have issues, which ones don't work at all, which ones are deprecated? Is someone keeping track or collecting reports somewhere? In Rimworld, the answer was almost always in the workshop page's comment section. But it seems comment pages on mods aren't used nearly as much here(I imagine that's because people interact through Minion instead of the website.)

For one example of a confusing addon, the Advanced Filters mod everyone recommends is outdated! But, there's an unofficial updated version! But, one of the libraries it depends on has a huge header in giant red capital letters screaming at you not to use it because it's incredibly broken! But it's one of the most downloaded addons. So which is it? Is it broken or not!? AND I read part of its functionality was added to the game, but it didn't say *which* part or what was still useful about it.

Another example I encountered is Inventory Grid View. Original mod is high on every recommend list but outdated. An unofficial update exists, but that's ALSO outdated. But the author posted an update... from dropbox in the comments instead of, you know, updating the version on the site. And THAT link was posted in April, so is THAT too old to work, too?

Is there any place to get a simple answer besides manually checking each mod myself one at a time? I'm also worried about false negatives- I install a mod, it doesn't seem to cause issues, but later after I've installed more mods it starts misbehaving and I don't know which mod or library the error is coming from...
09/25/20, 02:41 PM   #2
Rhyono
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Short answer: no magic list.

Generally, if you want to know the state of an addon, you'll have to ask the author or the author of an off shoot version. If the author hasn't been around for a year: that's likely your answer.

Just because an addon becomes discontinued or broken doesn't remove it from the site. Plenty of addons that were once extremely popular still rank highly due to their previous success.
09/25/20, 08:53 PM   #3
Sharlikran

There is already a sticky post about that don't overthink it. Even if it doesn't answer the question the way you want it to be answered it is still how you should approach the situation.

https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9295
09/26/20, 10:50 AM   #4
Dung0619
Originally Posted by Sharlikran View Post
There is already a sticky post about that don't overthink it. Even if it doesn't answer the question the way you want it to be answered it is still how you should approach the situation.
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9295
I did read that. Like I said, I'm familiar with manifest file version numbers, and that manifest version mismatch != broken mod. I also know the importance of automatic mod updates- I installed minion right away when I found it.

My expectation is that I'm not the first one to have a question and should read the comments for answers. That wasn't serving me well, so I was wondering if the answers were somewhere else. My takeaway is that if I want to know if an addon works, I just have to try it myself. If it works, it works. Then at least I will know, and then I can share the answer myself.

In the future I would like to see a sticky compiling user reports into a list of addons that are working on the current patch, then replacing that thread each time a new game version drops. Whether people are able to run a given mod is the ultimate proof- if a few people post their mod lists it will rapidly populate the list. The process to answer "does it still work?" then becomes: click the thread, ctrl+f, now you know if it works, done. If there isn't a magic list, we could just... make one, couldn't we?
09/26/20, 12:54 PM   #5
Sharlikran

And just so you don't take it the wrong way, that is what I meant by "answer the question the way you want it to be answered", I know you know but to double check, my answer was meant to be direct and respectful.

Originally Posted by Dung0619 View Post
My takeaway is that if I want to know if an addon works, I just have to try it myself. If it works, it works. Then at least I will know
Yes all users should do this. Exactly.

In the future I would like to see a sticky
Someone has to ask a site admin...

compiling user reports into a list of addons that are working on the current patch, then replacing that thread each time a new game version drops
Someone like yourself has to take the time to research that and put all the time and effort into it...

If there isn't a magic list, we could just... make one, couldn't we?
If you try it don't get your hopes up. People do not have this kind of spare time. If I am wrong then I will be happy to see your list and all the people contributing to it benefiting from it. I say this with experience both from BOSS/LOOT and trying to get people to submit quest data for the quest mod I maintain. Although I will say CptMcSploody has probably been contributing the most to the LOOT masterlist for the longest time out of all the different contributors.

So there is a chance there could be people out there that might contribute to your list.

Last edited by Sharlikran : 09/26/20 at 12:59 PM.
09/28/20, 03:33 AM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
@AdvancedFilters

Just because one library is named as broken does not mean it shouldn't be used anymore.
It's not really broken for older style pages, only newer ones are not supported. So do not ue the filters coming fromt his library (in the filter drodpown boxes) or do not expect them to work properky, that's all the red text means -> LibMotifCategories
Code:
ATTENTION: This library is currently buggy and won't work properly!
!!!DO NOT USE IT FOR YOUR PRJECTS!!!
But AdvancedFilters still needs it to run and load so the lib is not moved to the outdated and discontinued section.
Beise the fact it is working properly for some older motif data.

And the info that ZOs added something similar like AF's inventory filters was added just because of the "current PTS version", so it's not live yet and will only affect the game after the current PTS becomes live (planned for November 2020).
Code:
With the "Markarth" patch ZOs finally will introduce
Inventorty Grid View is not updated anymore, have a look at other grid addons like "Grid List" instead.
Randactyl is not active anymore and so far noone took InventoryGridView and maintains it.
That's happening quite often so you just need to check if it works, and if not, find any other similar addon.
Most of the time the comments section of the addons will help to find any, or a patch, or a fix.

So to summarize this::
No there is no list which tells you the state of EACH addon!
The easiest way to find if an addon works and does what you want is, in short terms: Try them out yourself!
Even if they are in the outdated & discontinued section, they could work, but are just not supported any longer by the dev ("discontinued")

If you get error messages they most likely do not work anymore.
Check the addon comments then if someone provided a patched version or a fix you can apply locally for yourself.
Or ask your inagme guild mates if they can recommand a working addon for your needs.

Last edited by Baertram : 09/28/20 at 03:39 AM.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » How do I navigate "outdated" mods?